Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which Type of Transmission do you prefer ?
I prefer automatic transmissions
11.11%
I prefer Manual Transmissions
22.22%
I like them both (depends on the vehicle)
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

> 5 things to never do with a automatic transmission (?)<

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > 5 things to never do with a automatic transmission (?)<

Hi Member's,
Below are two Vid's for basic information about
automatic transmissions and what not to do (?)

Below is a vid on 5 things your shouldn't do
with a manual transmission

Member's, post your thoughts/opinion on the above
vid's... Do you agree with them or not ?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up FYI: You pay `if you Abuse 4-$ure!

Hi Member's a few links that you may want to check out ?

Protect Your Automatic Transmission: Do's and Don'ts

etereman.com/.../transmission-care/protect-your-automatic-transmission-...

Mar 4, 2013 - Simple do's and don'ts to help keep you automatic transmission alive ...Abuse, such as towing over the maximum recommend factory limit or ...

Factors Affecting Transmission Longevity - How long ... - Auto

auto.howstuffworks.com/under.../car.../how-long-transmissions-last1.htm

Within the automatic transmission world, clutches use the fluid slipperiness during ... Both are subject to the physical stresses of abuse, and both can suffer ...

The Best Ways to Destroy Your Transmission | Mister ...

www.mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission

The automatic transmission is a very important module of your vehicle. ... vehicle was specifically designed for this purpose, it cannot sustain that form of abuse.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Question >Manual Transmission Infor<

What are the Most Common Problems with Manual Transmission Vehicles?

Although not as common today, millions of Americans still choose to drive manual transmission vehicles. Here are a few maintenance tips for your stick shift.

Although the number of manual transmission — or “stick shift” — vehicles on the road has decreased dramatically in recent years, from 35 percent of all vehicles in 1985 to about 10 percent today according to recent media reports, they’re still the preference of millions of drivers in the U.S.
Drivers of stick shifts report better car handling, increased fuel mileage and lower cost to maintain.
But highly rated mechanics on Angie’s List say there are a few issues unique to manual transmission vehicles that drivers should look out for in order to keep their stick shift in good working order.

Related Article

How Much Does It Cost to Repair My Transmission?

A transmission that needs to be repaired, rebuilt or replaced is expensive. Mechanics break down the costs of various transmission related repairs.

Clutch slips

The job of the clutch is to transfer power from the engine to the transmission. It allows the driver to switch between gears.
When a clutch slips, the engine will rev, but the car doesn’t move as it should or not at all, says Bob Waeiss, owner of highly rated Integrity Automotive in Carmel, Indiana.
This often indicates a worn clutch or a clutch pedal that needs to be adjusted.
“Clutches are a wear item, and when a customer feels the clutch pedal start to release high, then it is time to have it inspected to avoid a breakdown while driving,” says Jeff Gunning, service manager of highly rated Addison Auto Repair & Body Shop in Denver.
A common solution, Waeiss says, is removing the transmission and replacing the clutch, which consists of the flywheel, disc, pressure plate and bearing.
A clutch that’s not properly performing is a safety issue and should be inspected by a mechanic.
“It would take a serious do-it-yourselfer with the proper equipment to safely do a clutch repair,” Waeiss says. “Most repairs would require a visit to a shop.”
Vinny Davis, owner of highly rated Bob Davis Auto Center in Lake Worth, Florida, says a clutch kit — which comes with all the parts needed to repair a clutch — typically costs between $250 and $350. According to CostHelper.com, a clutch can cost $400 to more than $3,000 to replace with parts and labor included, with an average cost of just over $1,000, depending on the make, model and type of vehicle.
Davis says oftentimes the clutch needs to be replaced about every 100,000 miles.

Trouble getting into gear

Just like when the clutch slips, trouble shifting gears is another sign the clutch may need to be replaced.
According to industry experts, trouble shifting or staying in gear could be a sign that an internal or external transmission part is worn or damaged, or it could signal an electrical problem.
“[An] internal problem in the transmission … would require a rebuild or replacement,” Waeiss says.
An auto expert who specializes in transmissions can diagnose the issue.
Trouble getting into the correct gear can also indicate you’re using the wrong type of transmission fluid or there’s a bad gear.

Clutch sticks

Waeiss says when the clutch goes to the floor and doesn’t come back up, there’s a specific problem.
He adds this usually means the clutch master or slave cylinder has an external seal leakage and needs to be replaced, which can generally cost $100 to $300.
“It’s not as bad as having to remove the transmission, but still a high difficulty factor,” Waeiss says. “It requires bleeding the air from the system.”

Not changing fluid/leaks

Craig Douglas, president of highly rated Automotive Service Group in Indianapolis, says just like an automatic transmission, manual transmission fluid needs to be replaced to keep the internal components operating correctly.
He adds that manufacturers have direct specifications, but recommends a fluid change around 45,000 to 60,000 miles. The average cost is about $75 to $150, he says.
“This helps mitigate hydraulic failures,” Douglas says. “Modern vehicles no longer use cables or linkage to engage and disengage the clutch like in the older vehicles.”
Gunning says leaks are also a common manual transmission problem. Leaks occur to the clutch components, including the master and slave cylinder and the hydraulic lines.
“Drivers should be aware of fluid levels during routine fluid level checks,” he says.

Tips for driving a manual transmission

One of the best ways to keep your manual transmission system fresh is by operating it correctly, Douglas says.
“This is probably the biggest cause of failures,” he says. “Drivers starting off in second or third gear because they are tired of shifting, or skipping gears because they don’t feel like going through all of the proper gears.”
He adds it’s important not to abuse the clutch pedal.
“At a red light, make sure your foot is completely off the clutch,” Davis says. “Keeping your foot on the pedal will wear it down.”

Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it doesnt even really depend on the vehicle if i want auto or manual, what makes my decision is what kinda driving i will be doing. drag racing i want auto, autox i want manaul, road course i want manual, traffic i want auto.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
it doesnt even really depend on the vehicle if i want auto or manual, what makes my decision is what kinda driving i will be doing. drag racing i want auto, autox i want manaul, road course i want manual, traffic i want auto.
^that^ To some degree & how well you are financially stable

You do have the diehard manual only people, I know a few myself.

Also there's the crowd that is very concerned about mpg's so they too tend to opt for manuals. (Like honda's for example, it hard to get the auto trans to shift under 3k rpms unless you are really really trying)

Manuals are cheaper to rebuild or replace but they tend to have more maintenance required.

To me I prefer manual to all driving situations.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Default >Some People <?<

* Some people really don't know
* Some people think they know, but don't
* Some people make thing `up about what they don't know
* Some people only know nothing about what they are talking about
* Some people shift and some don't like to (?)
* Some people just make things up and try to convince you that they are right
* Some people only believe what they read and never question it ?
* Some people believe they are fooling people, when they are not!
Some people tell the truth & some don't.
Some people do both, shift and don't shift ?
Some people

I just really don't know 4-Sure ?

That's not true To `be honest with you it is
Just ask anyone that shifts and don't shift ?
They know when your lying (?)
I'll be back, I have to go `shift

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-03-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool remember brakes are for sissy's

I have been driving since 1966. I watched my Dad drive and was fascinated by his driving skills.
So when I started to learn I began with a 58 Chevy pickup truck. I recall that I asked him how come you shift that thing all the time? He said you will know why once you get a chance to drive it.
He taught me how to feather the clutch. I can hold the car with a manual transmission on a hill with no problem and I don't back up. I drove truck for several years and got a bit over 3Mil. miles behind me. Drove stock car on dirt and drove street machine cars on the Drag Strip.
There is no challenge to the automatic Trans other than if you screw it up you are going to have an expensive fix.
I grew up in the era of the rear wheel drive car, I don't look at a front wheel drive car as any kind of race car, it's what I grew up with.
I listened to this guy but some of the thing he might have not covered are.
1. Don't drive these cars in (Over D) select drive instead. That way your car won't be shifting up and down while in town around the 45 mile speed limit.
I select neutral when I am on ice and in a slide, here is why; the car will push on the Ice and the engine will keep pushing it. So if you select neutral it will straighten the thing out and let your Anit-locks work.
Auto Vs Manual ........ some folks my need an auto to win. I cut my teeth on the Manual in a Drag Race. I always won.
Now todays Automatic may be different.
But the driver is the difference in my opinion.
So my son has a friend that has a Callaway Camaro back in in 2012 he was BS'n with him and his brother an found that they both had similar Camaro's. He said the brother with the Automatic always won against the Manual. My son said you should let my Dad try it to see if he could make the difference.
So I got the call and back in 2013 I got to drive the thing. Needless to say it was bad fast. I tested the thing for a day on the strip, surprised I never missed a shift. He say me red line the car and nearly had a cow. I was able to get him by a nose. I Walked Him big time. His brother was so shocked. Then I showed the Kid how to do it. But he still isn't as quick as me.
One thing you want to avoid on the manual is don't ride the clutch and I suppose like the guy said don't rest your hand on the top of the shifter.
I had a Hurst shifter in my 70 z/28 and had no problem with resting my hand on the thing.
Opinions are like feet everyone has 2,some are different sizes, but that works for me. thanks for sharing this.