Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

5.3/5.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: 5.3/5.7

well i would love to achieve 400 hp. but without a bore it would be almost impossible. i also know that on the older aluminum blocks they were able to do cams and heads and get another 90 hp. but i dont know if i can do cams in this engine with the displacement on demand. if anyone knows about this let me know. and headers. i have been looking all over and i dont want to spend 2000$ on custom headers. currently i have a magnaflow exhaust, k&n intake and a diablo tuner. i guesstimate to be about 330hp mayby. plus if i bore it [if theres room] how hard is it to find a crankshaft that would work if i cant use the stck one?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM

if i where you i think i would leave the bottom ebd alone for now because its new you can still make good power with it
but i would look for flow numbers of the ls4 heads and compare them to the other lsx or even edelbrocks or A.F.R.
and as for the intake i would go stock ls6 or one of the f.a.s.t. one with the matching T.B.
as for the cam you can get a regrind from pretty much any cam company for a couple 100$
you can make good power out of that motor but it depends on your buget and what deals you can get

Old 03-01-2008, 05:36 PM

my budget is just about as deap as it ever will be so im better off gettign this crap before the $4.00 gas comes. but you know of anyone that makes headers for them. i have been unable to find some. but otherwise who would make a good cam? is there really anything else that can be done to this engine?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 PM

i know that delta cams make regrinds and crower and i think that comp makes them as well ( not sure if any other lsx cam will fit )
as for headers i think the only choice you have is to make them your self as of now and because that this motor is a one year only in the m.c. it probly always will unless that the impala is the same i would guess by the end of the year that sombody will make headers
and i looked more in to changing the intake manifold to day and the oil sending unit and the electrical pluing for the dod is in the way so some moding of somthing will have to be made to make it fit but it is a big diffrence in size i have pics but dont know how to load them

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know Comp Cams offered to do a custom grind for an engine I have a couple years ago. This is for an engine with very little aftermarket.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Your going to spend alot of $$$$ to gain 21 cubic inches,if its even possible to increase the bore size by .120"(LS4=325"/LS1=346"). The LS4 crank is the same stroke as the LS1,but it is 13mm shorter,3mm on the flywheel end & 10mm on the accessory drive end. The LS6 cylinder heads are used on the LS4(243 casting#) with LS1 springs.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM

hey there bowtietech, you seem to know a good amount and you also have the same engine as i do right? and could you post some pics of your car. i am looking to put some racing stripes on myne which is black with silver lowers. i would do it all myself if i ever bring myself to doing it. but if you know anything else about parts for the car and the part about boring it that would be cool.
i was also reading the the old 5.3 block was able to bore to 5.7 like i want to do very easily how is this 5.3 compared to the ones in the trucks

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 AM

the old block you are looking at are probly the gen 1 blocks witch where the same bore @ 4.00 it was the stroke witch mad them diffrent back then but now in the lsx series it the same stroke but diffrent bore ther is .120 diffrence in them and you could safely get away with a .060 overbore

Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 PM

yessir but i looked into it further. the price tag on such a thing is ove 2000. not including removal and installation of the engine. which is alot for the horsepower to it. i would only gane around 50 to 60. and if i was to do this which it isnt looking like it anymore cause i have found that my vehicle had somehow gotten hit before i bought it brand new. i am fixeing the front cover that got absolutely butched. runs in the clear, unbuffed by the lower grille, fish eyes in the clear, and not to menchine that the cracks that they repaired were not preped before repair and bondo and paint. who ever did it got paid way to much to do that job. thank god im **** enough to wanna through some custom paint on it. otherwise id never have found it. but now i bought a magnaflow exhaust, im looking at a maf, and a high flow resinator with downpipe, and possible eletric cut outs. im now looking just to have some fun.