Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

-> 4 "Hippies Only" : )

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking -> 4 "Hippies Only" : )

VW unveils new model of microbus loved by hippies

AP – Volkswagen's concept car is presented during the press day of the 81st International Motor show
– Tue Mar 1, 12:04 pm ET

GENEVA – Volkswagen [is resurrecting its iconic microbus, which debuted in 1950 and became a favorite of hippies for its unique styling and copious space for travelers.
Volkswagen is showing a of the van — known by its German nickname, the Bulli — at the Geneva Auto Show on Tuesday. Among the six-seater's modern twists: It's powered by an and uses an iPad to control the entertainment system, climate control and other functions.
Volkswagen said the Bulli can go up to 186.4 miles on a single battery charge. That's far, considering that the is rated at 73 miles on a charge by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The Bulli can go up to 87 miles per hour.
The Bulli was the brainchild of a Dutch Volkswagen importer, Ben Pon, who in 1947 sketched out a simple public bus built on the wheels of the . The original Bulli was made from 1950 to 1967. Other versions followed, and the vehicle was eventually sold worldwide.
The concept is slightly shorter and wider than the original, with a less boxy front. But there are plenty of nods to the original, including a three-person bench seat in the front and a two-tone paint job.
Volkswagen hasn't confirmed that the concept van will go into production.
Click image to see photos of the new VW microbus

AP Photo/Smok'in Anja Niedringhaus

Would U buy one ?
...Yes, if I was smok'in some good $uff ~*

Oh, Where's WoodStock ? ?

Last edited by Space; 03-02-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 AM

i wouldent get one i dont like the design

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi John, thanks for your opinion...I heard it looks better `if U have blurry eyes LOL + Loud Music +munchies +

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 AM

I work at an auto shop, I would not buy any crappy german cars.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Hi `Randy, thanks for your post...What do you find crappy about V.W. I have read several member's say the same thing, and then I read articles about how good German engineering is ? I know people that have Mercedes/VW's that love them & don't have any problems...Please share your reasons...I always keep a open mind & always want to learn about all vehicles:
The Good, the Bad & the ugly

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Hey Space buddy how ya doin?
People who love their german cars probably dont work on them, they are a big pain to wrench on, and IMO Americans think german engineering is so great because thats what TV commercials have been telling them for the past 20 years, I've worked at 3 differant shops and every mechanic i've known will agree they suck. We get more german and japanese cars in our shop than we do American cars. With regular and proper maintanance any car will last 200k 300k miles, I plan on getting 300k on my Monte,The most i've ever seen was a Chevy truck w/ 615,000 miles on it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks `Randy for your time, post & sharing your experience 4-Sure...and `Yes, the senior citizens I know that have German Cars don't work on them, but take them to the dealer for routine maintenance...The BeachBum's & I use to wash their cars, but now we no longer have the time...I've never had to work on German cars,(I'm just a SandBeach Mechanic that learns from trial & many errors: ), so I have no idea on how difficult German cars are to work on...
Thanks again ~> Peace/Happiness 2 the reader ~>`Out

p.s. EnJoy riding your bike 2day...Be Safe/Happy

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM

I can't comment on newer Mercedes, but our '73 MB 220 is still going strong. It's been well maintained it's whole life; maintenance records going back to '73. It's easy to work on, but I suppose that's true of most older cars. Simple engine; simple electronics. Keeping the carb clean is probably the biggest challenge. It's a rather dirty burning engine.

Though I've never owned a VW, they do seem to be at the bottom of most 'customer satisfaction' surveys. The most recent I saw had them second from the bottom in a survey that tracked number of maintenance issues. Not a good track record.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

...Hi `Dave, and thanks 4 your input/post. I will have to keep on researching on many different makes & models & keep learning. I enjoy learning about all cars...Thanks...

My grandfather had a old VW hippie Van in his day : )
I thought I would like one as a Surfer Van : ) We still have our old GMC BeachBum Van & it's still run'in (Zometimes: )
Peace/Happiness to the readers ~`Out

Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Far out, dude!!!
Let's roll some doobies and go for a cruise.

I've never been a VW fan myself. Sure some like them. Just like some (insane person) doesn't like '57 Chevies.

My mom owns an '86 Mercedes my middle sister gave her. I've tried to get her to bring the car to cruise-ins. But it mainly sets in the garage.

Quick Reply: -> 4 "Hippies Only" : )