Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>2door Coupe, twin turbo Six, Water injected, 493 HP ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 10:15 AM
|
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >2door Coupe, twin turbo Six, Water injected, 493 HP ?

2016 BMW M4 GTS

Water injection helps it give drivers a dry mouth.

First Drive Review
About three-fifths of your body mass is water, the key to life. Scientists scour the reaches of the universe for its liquid form hoping that where they find water there may be other life. BMW has found some life in water, too, squirting the stuff into the intake plenum of the M4 GTS’s S55 twin-turbo inline six-cylinder engine to make more power.

It isn’t just water injection that makes the GTS special. This is the latest in a long line of hopped-up M cars that were never sold in the U.S. before now, starting with the E30 M3 Evolution and most recently the E92 M3 GTS, which packed a 4.4-liter V-8. Water injection isn’t a new technology, even for production cars. More than 50 years ago, General Motors offered a water-injected turbocharged engine in its 1962–63 Oldsmobile Jetfire. If you never heard of that one, it’s probably because most were converted to use conventional carburetors after the secondary injector system dried up when owners didn’t refill the tank of “Turbo-Rocket” fluid, as GM called its methyl-water cocktail.

Water injection is an effective means of cooling the intake charge of a boosted engine. In the short path from the air filter, through the turbos, over the dual-cam cylinder head, and through the air-to-liquid intercooler, the compressed air can reach temperatures in excess of 212 degrees. According to Jürgen Poggel, M GmbH’s head of engine development, injecting liquid water into the hot chamber cools the intake charge by about 77 degrees in most circumstances. In the most extreme cases, he says, it can cut heat to a temperate 120 or 140 degrees.

Any liquid, as it transitions from a liquid state to a gaseous state, can do this magic. The evaporation process converts some of the unwanted heat into harmless humidity. Lowering the intake temperature prevents engine knock and the unwanted detonation of fuel, and it also allows the turbos to produce more boost—21.6 psi versus 17.2 in the regular M4—and the electronics to advance the timing. The result in this case is a 49-hp bump from the 444-hp Competition Package M4, to 493 horsepower.
BMW could have injected E85 (or an alcohol-water mix like GM did) with similar, if not even more improved performance, but that, Poggel says, would change the emissions. BMW didn’t want an engine that could ever be out of tailpipe compliance if the secondary tank ran dry, like a diesel running without urea. (We’re curious to see what tuners such as Dinan might come up with.) Additional water vapor in the combustion chamber does nothing to emissions because there is nothing combustible in distilled water. Run the water tank dry and the engine reverts to 444-hp tune. On a racetrack, the 1.3-gallon tank below the trunk floor will empty at roughly the same rate as the 15.9-gallon fuel tank. Water injection is active only above 5000 rpm and under full load, so street drivers will need to rehydrate less often, perhaps every fifth or sixth fuel fill-up, depending on driving style. It is unclear if dealerships will soon stock distilled “factory-spec” water with a BMW part number.
To reduce the chance of corrosion and to prevent water from freezing, the water lines are drained every time the engine shuts down. The system primes within seconds upon startup, well before the driver should be calling for 5000 rpm under full load on a cold engine.

By this point, you’ve probably glanced at the specifications, seen the six-figure price tag, and wondered, “What the hell, for an M4?” While the basic shell of the M4 is unchanged, BMW swapped out many components in pursuit of track performance, costly bits that push the price to twice that of the base M4.
Carbon-ceramic brake rotors; a carbon-fiber hood, roof, strut brace, driveshaft, rear wing, front splitter, and rear bulkhead; and lightweight interior trim borrowed fromthe i3, are standard and reduce weight. These help offset the 22 pounds of mass added for the water-injection system. All the GTS cars for the U.S. come with an orange-painted, four-point roll cage in place of the usual back seat. U.S.-spec cars won’t have the ultra-lightweight carbon-fiber seats seen in these pictures; instead we’ll get a lighter-than-normal sport seat with manual adjustments. The result is a car that weighs about the same as a regular M4 fitted with the dual-clutch automatic transmission (the only gearbox for the GTS), or 3550 pounds.
There’s more magic in the chassis. BMW chose meaty Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, 265/35ZR-19 up front and 285/30ZR-20 in back, to wrangle the gut-punch torque and the rest of the chassis changes in step. The basic suspension setup, struts in front with a rigidly mounted rear subframe carrying a multilink suspension and an electronically controlled limited-slip differential in back, remains, but three-way adjustable dampers with external reservoirs and adjustable spring perches (they can lower the car by 0.8 inch for track duty) are employed here. The extra grip of the Cup 2s also required a change to the engine: The sump carries an extra quart of motor oil to avoid oil starvation in high-g maneuvers.
With the extra power and grip, we expect the GTS to run the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds. Drivers are likely to do a lot of these sprints just to hear the engine at full tilt, because it sounds like a feral beast. BMW cites 493 horsepower and 443 lb-ft of twist, but it feels more like 550 of each. And purists, rejoice! No artificial soundtrack pumps through the speakers here. All sounds are 100-percent pure inline-six.

We only sampled the car on a racetrack, with the suspension lowered accordingly, and can say that the GTS makes your average car feel like overcooked pasta in comparison. Flat-foot the gas on corner exit and the tail drifts just a bit in a predictable, manageable way. The GTS is as legitimate a track car as any GT Porsche, Camaro Z/28, or Mustang Shelby GT350R. Looking for evidence? Check out the video below, which shows the GTS running a 7:27.9 lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife, quicker than that of a Ferrari 458 Italia.
The Cup 2s help enliven the M4 steering with legitimate feedback coming through the suede-wrapped steering wheel, something lacking in the current generation of M3/M4. We’d prefer a larger brake pedal, or a little more spacing between the brake and throttle pedals, to make left-foot braking easier. BMW claims the aero package, with the front splitter manually extended 2.4 inches to its track position and the rear wing in the most aggressive attitude of three, generates 63 pounds of downforce on the front axle and 210 on the rear at 186 mph.
With a limited run of 700 GTSs worldwide and 300 dog-eared for the United States, this special M4 is also exclusive. BMW says its dealers have already spoken for all of the cars and that buyer vetting has begun. The automaker has no worries about its ability to sell every M4 GTS and expects most to be used as they were intended, as dedicated track cars that don’t have to be trailered to the paddock.
View Photos

Old 05-13-2016 | 10:16 AM
|
Default Bonus Vid

Click 2 EnJoy
Great Vid/Track/Driver!

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE:front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE:$134,200 Great dream or Lotto Dream

ENGINE TYPE:twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve inline-6, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection, port water injection

DISPLACEMENT:182 cu in, 2979 cc
Power: 493 hp @ 6250 rpm
Torque: 443 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

TRANSMISSION:7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 110.7 in
Length: 184.6 in
Width: 73.6 in Height:54.4 in
Passenger volume: 54 cu ft
Cargo volume: 11 cu ft
Curb weight (C/D est):3550 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/DEST):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.5 sec
Top speed: 190 mph

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 16/23 mpg

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-13-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:06 AM
|
Smile

Hi Member's, do you like the BMW ? I do, but for the $'s, I'd buy a new 2016 StingRay Corvette & save $70+. (+ get 29 MPG's on the hwy )...

2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray review notes: All the right moves

1 OF 11The Corvette Stingray backs its performance capability with more than 450 hp and an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city driving and 29 mpg on the highway with the seven-speed manual transmission.PHOTO BY CHEVROLET

KILLER POWER, BRAKES AND LOOKS CONTINUE AS FORTES

ROAD TEST EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: I said this on my last Corvette drive, but damn, this car is good. This one is $70K, but you could easily knock it down to $65,000 or so. For that you get 455 hp, 460 lb-ft and a power-to-weight ratio that rivals many supercars. And it’s just a blast to drive.
The suede-covered, seven-speed manual is easy and smooth to row. The throws aren’t super short, but I had no trouble banging through them quickly. Clutch weight is a little light, and takes some getting used to, but the catch point is nice and small. The stock brakes are great, and pedal travel is short -- by the time I was an inch in, I had already scrubbed a good amount of speed. The pedals are close enough for good heel-toe action.
The rest of the cabin is fine. I had a tough time finding a good seating position for some reason. I didn’t get enough lower back support. Everything is adjustable, including the bolsters, so I don’t understand why. Side-to-side motion was kept in check, though. I think the upgraded competition seats might be better. The armrests are in a comfortable spot, the radio is reachable and the top is easy to pop. Three levers unlock the targa, and then it’s just a matter of picking it up and getting it into the trunk. It was a little unwieldy, and I’d be concerned if an elderly person was handling my painted roof, but I was able to slip it into the trunk without too much pain. Love a targa, don’t like a convertible.

The Corvette Stingray backs its performance capability with more than 450 hp and an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city driving and 29 mpg on the highway with the seven-speed manual transmission.PHOTO BY CHEVROLET

Power is monstrous from the LT1. It just builds and builds and builds until it's time to shift. It’s fast without even getting near the redline. I think I only maxed out the revs once during my night in the car, and that was enough to remind me what this car is capable of in competition. But it’s nearly as good on the street. It’s somehow stiff without beating up the driver at all. I was avoiding potholes, as I always do, but you probably wouldn’t even need to. That magnetic ride control is must, must have. Steering is a little light, even though it makes things easier at slow speeds, but still direct. It does tighten and quicken up once you start moving. I’ve never track-tested one of these, but I’d love to.
I don’t like the C7 look as much as I liked the C6. But each one I get in brings me around a little bit. There’s just something about that front end that I still don’t love. Maybe it’s a little too busy, maybe it’s too pointy. I don’t know. Great car, great value; if you’re looking for a supercar, you have to test one. You might just save yourself $150,000.

The Corvette Stingray backs its performance capability with more than 450 hp and an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city driving and 29 mpg on the highway with the seven-speed manual transmission.PHOTO BY CHEVROLET

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Young Mr. Lingeman mentions the Stingray’s price in the second sentence. Yes, indeed, the car represents a lot of bang for the buck. So did the last Corvette, the C6. I’d be willing to bet that Chevrolet officials are getting tired of the bang-for-the-buck-cliché; they’d prefer the car gets mentioned as just a great sports car, period, price independent.
So is it? I’d say if not, it’s damned close. The Corvette accelerates like a rocket (duh), has razor-sharp steering, zero body roll, and looks damned fine. That’s not the best part about it, though. I’d argue the best part is how easy it is to milk all the performance. The controls are effortless, the gearbox is delightful around town with a smooth consistent clutch, and the ride quality is fine for a car with this much performance. The car begs to be driven hard, but doesn’t punish you for doing so. I credit the rock-solid chassis for a lot of it, allowing Corvette engineers to tune the suspension as they saw fit. Well done.
This was my first Apple Car Play experience. You control it via the touchscreen; I suppose there’s probably voice activation, too, but I didn’t try that. It’s easy and intuitive: plug in the phone and the Car Play button pops up on the screen, press that and what looks like your phone screen appears, and off you go, able to pick music, maps, whatever. It works well. Whether it’s actually necessary, I need more time with it to determine that. For now, I’d say if automakers start letting Car Play trickle down to less expensive cars, I can see it becoming the norm.
Note I wrote the above paragraph without using the words "connectivity" or “infotainment.” You’re welcome.

Options: 2LT package including memory package, power seat adjusters, luggage shade, power heated outside mirrors, auto-dimming rearview, heated and ventilated seats, seat badge, universal home remote, premium audio, theft deterrent system, head-up display, XM radio, curb view cameras ($4,455); magnetic ride control ($1,795); performance data recorder with navigation ($1,795); Laguna blue paint ($995); suede microfiber seats ($395)

Old 05-13-2016 | 11:38 AM
|
Talking >Auto Dreams<

Rank in Sports Cars

Old 05-14-2016 | 09:51 AM
|
Lightbulb Alfa Romeo 4C

Alfa Romeo 4C

Alfa Romeo 4C

2016 Alfa Romeo 4C shown

• MSRP
$57,495 Listed MSRP is for a 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C 2dr Cpe base trim with no options. Includes destination fee. Does not include sales tax.
Change Trim

• Lease
  • Finance
$912/mo* N/A This number is based on a 36-month, 15000-mile-per-year lease. Lease calculation assumes money factor of 0.00058 and residual of 47%. Assumes ZIP code of 90210 and entered credit score of 800 or higher. Does not include sales tax. Option to purchase at lease end for an amount may be determined at lease signing. Mileage charge of $0.5/mile over 45,000 miles. Lessee pays for maintenance, repair and excess wear. Lease payments will vary depending on options, vehicle availability, dealer participation, lender participation and terms, and credit score, all of which may vary from the assumptions above. The payment listed is not a guarantee or offer, only an estimate. Promotional interest rate and residual used for monthly lease payment calculation valid 5/3/2016 - 5/31/2016.
Cash Due at Signing
$912 total cash due at signing includes $912 total cash down, $0 security deposit. Tax, title, tags, and dealership fees not included. $595 lease acquisition fee is rolled into monthly payments. Unless waived as part of offer, first month's payment is included in due at signing amount.

*AccuPayment estimates payments under various scenarios for budgeting and informational purposes only. AccuPayment does not state credit or lease terms that are available from a creditor or lessor, and AccuPayment is not an offer or promotion of a credit or lease transaction.

1 Incentives Available
Price with Optionsor Get a Quote
Browse Used Inventory

This is a sexy, mid-engined Italian exotic carved down to affordable scale, and it's available as a coupe or with a targa top. Powered by a 237-hp turbo four and weighing less than 2500 pounds, its zippy power-to-weight ratio matches its zippy steering ratio; sadly, only a six-speed automatic is available. The 4C practically anticipates road challenges, but the seats are tight, there's almost no luggage room, and it's so low it's tough to get out of—none of which matters once behind the wheel. Instrumented Test – 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
View All Features and Specs
EPA:
0-60:
Horsepower:
Top Speed:

24/34 mpg EPA

4.2 sec 0-60

237 hp HP

155 mph Top Speed

Tested: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
Test Location: Chelsea Proving Grounds (Chelsea, MI)

Old 05-14-2016 | 03:04 PM
15 Year Member

I think it's a nice looking car, but that spoiler has to go! IMO it's just a little too much. I also dislike the trend of BMW and Merc to stick the screen up on top of the dash - looking like some sort of add on Garmin GPS or something. That needs to get integrated back into the dash.

Also love water injection. I run 50/50 water meth on the vette, and it's so much stronger with it on - you can run noticeably more timing. It's not as nice as e85, but it's so easy to add to any car and you don't have to worry about running out of fuel without a station nearby. I do plan to go the other direction from bmw though - I'd like to run straight meth for more octane gains. My charge temps aren't horrendous though with the big intercooler up front, so I'd rather have more octane boost than charge cooling.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-14-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2016 | 04:08 PM
|
Thumbs up

Hi `Chad and thanks for your thoughts/post.

I agree with your dislikes on the $135K BMW. the wing looks like a add on from JC Whitney & yes, it looks like Radio Shack add on Nav Screen. I do like the power & tech of their PowerPlant & I'm new to water injection, but I'm learning. You have a great deal of knowledge & know how to apply it.

I also like the impractical Alfa Romeo 4C for a light weight 4 banger with a Turbo A human Go Kart But for the $'s, my choice is still the Chevy Corvette

Old 05-14-2016 | 04:46 PM
|

I was surprised to see the Car & Driver choose the Cayman GT 4 as #`1 below over the Covette as #2

Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door hatchback

PRICE AS TESTED: $104,815 (base price: $85,595)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve flat-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 232 cu in, 3800 cc
Power: 385 hp @ 7400 rpm
Torque: 309 lb-ft @ 4750 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 97.8 in
Length: 174.7 in
Width: 71.5 in Height: 49.8 in
Cargo volume: 5 cu ft
Curb weight: 3050 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 22.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 6.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 117 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr's est): 183 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 151 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.01 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 18/23 mpg
C/D observed: 17 mpg

Instrumented Test

Car and Driver Car and Driver 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

Not quite as quick as it looks.

Southern California’s Angeles Forest Highway over the San Gabriel Mountains is almost flawlessly smooth. And though construction crews have been bringing this stretch of road to a halt for months, they’re almost done. Get out there before 7:30 a.m. and you’ll enjoy an uninterrupted stretch of fresh black carpet draped over a mountain. Get there later and you’ll have a painful wait through several one-way construction zones. We got up early one recent morning to take the Porsche Cayman GT4 on this route to our desert test facility.
We didn’t think Porsche would ever build this car. It’s a Cayman with the 911’s engine for base-911 money: $85,595. Many have heralded this as fratricide. But here’s why the Grand Cayman won’t kill the 911: Not many GT4s will be made, the GT4 is manual only, and 911s sell because they are 911s.

The GT4 isn’t quicker than a Cayman GTS at road-legal speeds, but its steering is maybe the best currently available anywhere.
The 3.8-liter flat-six out of the Carrera S is humming along, mere inches behind us. In the GT4, it makes 385 horsepower, which is 15 horses shy of what it does in the Carrera S, but 45 more than the Cayman GTS and 35 more than the base 911. Below 5000 rpm, the engine whines and whirs; spin toward the 7600-rpm redline and the pulsing turns into a 10,000 conga-drum jam-o-rama. The six puts out a big 90 decibels at full whack. Don’t worry, though; it’s a pleasant sound, never annoying.

Up on the mountain, we’re not at the redline very often. First and second gears are incredibly tall—second is good for nearly 80 mph. That gearing takes a bit of around-town zip out of the GT4. We meas­ured a zero-to-60 time of 4.1 seconds, identical to a manual Cayman GTS we’d previously tested. Beyond 60, though, the GT4 pulls away from the GTS. By 110 mph, it’s a second ahead. In the quarter-mile, the GT4 posts 12.3 seconds at 117 mph. For context, know that a PDK-equipped Carrera S goes through the quarter in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph with the Cayman GTS arriving in 12.5 seconds at 113 mph.
But power and performance are just two elements of the GT4’s 911 kinship. The entire front suspension is lifted from the 911 GT3. On the new asphalt, we can detect some understeer. On the skidpad, the GT4 pushes more reliably than the boldly neutral Cayman GTS and has a little less grip, even on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (1.01 g’s versus 1.04). But the GT4’s chassis eagerness and steering feel are infused with GT3 goodness. At speed, it’s almost as if the electric power steering is completely unassisted. You’re flooded with information about the surface, the tires, and the available grip. Porsche didn’t ruin the ride here, either. Provided you stay away from the sport setting on the PASM dampers, you’ll experience a firm, but spouse-friendly, ride.

A few subtle tweaks strengthen the rear end and allow for camber adjustments, but the biggest difference between the GT4’s hindquarters and that of lesser Caymans is seen in the 911-sized rear tires. The increase in front-tire width is not as great as that of the rear rubber and may be one reason why the GT4 understeers more than the Cayman GTS.
But the GT4 makes a stronger fashion statement than other Caymans. A new nose houses gaping cooling ducts, the rear end has a small diffuser and a big wing.
You sit low in the GT4, especially with the optional ($4730) single-piece seats from the 918 Spyder; they make a graceful entry or exit impossible. Between the seats is a glorious six-speed manual, fitted with Porsche’s short shifter that makes snapping off ridiculously quick gearchanges easy. Hit the sport button and the engine automatically blips the throttle to match revs on downshifts. It’s hard to break the habit of heel-toe downshifting, but the computer makes rev matching easy.
With the exception of getting in and out of its seats, the GT4 makes everything easy. It’s the first Cayman that’s an excellent alternative to a base 911.

Old 05-14-2016 | 08:40 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
I agree with your dislikes on the $135K BMW. the wing looks like a add on from JC Whitney & yes, it looks like Radio Shack add on Nav Screen. I do like the power & tech of their PowerPlant
It's really odd, it seems like over the past 10 years or so, manufacturers have been doing a great job at integrating the functions of a spoiler into the body of the car - between the lower diffuser and something integrated with the deck lid. It just seems like very recently, the trend for the highest performance models is to just slap a big fast and furious wing on there (gt3rs, viper acr, etc). I get that it's functional, it just seems lazy to me to not try a little harder to integrate the look.

I also like the impractical Alfa Romeo 4C for a light weight 4 banger with a Turbo A human Go Kart But for the $'s, my choice is still the Chevy Corvette
That 4c is cool for sure. I'm not particularly crazy about the powertrain in general, but the rest of the car is great.

I totally agree, if only one fun car was in the budget, it's hard to beat a vette - especially with how much they depreciate compared to the exotic stuff.

Old 05-14-2016 | 08:59 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
I was surprised to see the Car & Driver choose the Cayman GT 4 as #`1 below over the Covette as #2
I've never driven a GT4, but I have driven a two generation old Cayman R, and have a friend with a current gen, regular Cayman.

I love the vette, but I can certainly see how the Cayman could squeak out a win in certain circumstances. The Cayman is a really well refined chassis for sure. The Cayman R I drove was an absolute pleasure to drive - I was notably faster around the track than I was in both the Mercedes SLS and the GTR black that I drove the same day. Even though I'm a complete novice driver, I knew exactly where the limit was and knew exactly how hard I could push it after just a couple laps. The car never bit you for making a mistake and made you look like a real hero. I was keeping up with an Aventador up until the straight.

My only real complaint was the lack of power - it was only 300 or so. This GT4 finally fixes that.

The vette is definitely less forgiving to drive. With all of the electronic nannies turned off, it is scary to drive hard for a novice. In the upper gears, the oversteer is manageable, but if you're getting into really slow corners where youre coming through in 1st o 2nd, it can really snap out on you quickly.

Certainly you can turn all of the nannies on and it will save you from doing anything stupid, but it does kinda feel like cheating. I still don't think the chassis is as communicative as the Cayman.

Maybe I should drive a c7 myself before passing more judgement ...

Oh, and one last note - 17 mpg on a 3000 lb 6 cylinder - ouch!

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-14-2016 at 09:01 PM.