Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2011 Top Picks from Consumer Reports (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
There's one thing I don't like when people argue that an American car being built in Canada makes it less American...

Last time I checked, North America consisted of Canada...

There's a difference when a car is "assembled" in America from Internationally sourced parts also.
I didn't want to say it Mike (since I'm in Canada), but you're right. Technically, Mexico is part of North America too.

I think there's a difference in the terminology being used by the various people. The auto industry uses the term North American; but often shortens it to "The Detroit Three". But still referring to them as North American companies. Which technically includes Canada and Mexico. But most consumers refer to their favorite classic cars as "American -- built in the U.S. of A."

I certainly understand what the people want. They want jobs. We all do. They want to buy cars that are built by family, friends, and neighbours right here in the U.S. The point they're trying to make is that sending the jobs to Canada, Mexico, or some other country overseas, doesn't help people in the U.S. put food on the table.

There's a whole political thing, and corporate greed, spanning decades that is the cause of the problems we all face now. And there's plenty of blame to spread around to everyone. This has been going on for decades.

Personally, I don't want to get into the politics involved. Politics in general just plain bores me. I will say this... There's a quote I heard many years ago. "People who are smart enough to run the country, are also smart enough to stay out of politics."

But I'm going off topic now.

If the so-called "Imports" want to start making more cars here in North America, then by all means. I don't have a problem with someone buying a Toyota that was built in Michigan or any other state.

I prefer to buy cars that were built in North America. Of the 4 cars I've owned in my life, 3 were built in Michigan and the Monte was built in Ontario, Canada. That's my preference. If someone wants to buy an import (from overseas), fine. That's their perogative.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

That's exactly how I feel too Lou.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
That's exactly how I feel too Lou.
See, that's why you're better at these things Mike. It took me a novel to say what you said in 7 words.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ditto, Lou (Taz) & `Mike
I'm just happy to have choices & be the driver of my life.
Wish everyone happiness ~> Your Choice 4-Sure
I've learned that one has to be the driver of their life to
get to where to want to `be 4-Sure....
>(I agree with William below)<

Peace/Love/Happiness 2 everyone

Last edited by Space; 09-24-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I think to get usa made on somthing it has to have 70% produced & built here so not many cars even have that, most of the stuff we buy is from over seas so when it comes to cars i dont really care much anymore all 3 of mine are from canada well 1 was final assembled in detroit

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM

Yes `Mike & Member's, we are now living in a Global Economy 4-Sure

We must work 2gether to succeed (?) grow...
We must all get involved & select good leaders, or
we shall fail...`Amen

Last edited by Space; 09-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM

It deff is Space, but if most knew of all the crap & regulations on us businesses they would see why the built outta the country

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Yes, `Mike I know 4-Sure...You can't believe the paperwork or computer work that I must complete in my job plus homeland security & constant inspections & reports...It's very time consuming, but it's the world we are living...I've always wanted my own business, but it does require a lot of time & work with all the requirements for local/county/state/& federal government 4-Sure...

I don't think the Majority of people have time to get involved and research all the problems in our country/world...They may watch the local/national/world news, but I believe that the majority is just to busy trying to survive and keep or find a job, raise a family, pay their bills `if they can etc....It's not a pretty story for sure....

It concerns me & I do my best to stay active, but I do worry about our future generations and what we are leaving them ? WoW...
That's `all (lol)...My mind/body & spirit are tired 2day

Peace/Happiness 2 you & readers

Last edited by Space; 09-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
It deff is Space, but if most knew of all the crap & regulations on us businesses they would see why the built outta the country
That's the situation here in Canada. It's actually more expensive for companies to build or do business in Canada. The Canadian dollar has been worth more than the U.S. dollar for a couple years now. Add onto that, the cost of living is higher. Gas prices are A LOT higher. And because of how spread out cities are in Canada, the cost of shipping in general is a lot higher than the United States. Companies have to pay more for employee wages, benefits, insurance, etc.

It actually makes more economical sense for companies to move out of Canada, and move production to the U.S. I find it ironic that people in the U.S. are worried about losing their job to Canada. The truth is, the Detroit Three are moving production out of Canada. And moving them overseas; China, Australia, etc. It's taking a lot of negotiating and concessions on the part of the workers just to keep the jobs we still have here.

Here in Windsor, we used to have two GM plants. Both are now long gone. Ford has closed one of their plants. And Chrysler is now threatening to move production of the minivan out of Windsor and back to the U.S. So St. Louis may get their plant back in the not too distant future. Which is good for St. Louis. Not so good for me or anyone else here in Windsor.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM

I was just talking about businesses & manufactoring in general, they make so many bs regulations & crap that most have to goto other places to keep cost down, i kinda figure canada was the same way, but just as an example of bs regulations, the guy i get my metal from had to stop stocking stainless steel cuz the gov says it causes parkinson's disease which itself dont but having it on the property raised his insurence $30,000 a year when he has 10 employees now the stuff thats in stainless that has links to causing it is in all other metals as well, so why just regulate stainless?? Its stuff like that, that causes businesses to seek other ways to make things