Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2011 Dodge Charger R/T - Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile 2011 Dodge Charger R/T - Road Test

Posted so we know what's out there, and to increase our auto knowledge : )
Member's, post what you think of the Below Charger ?
I think it's a great 4dr performance choice 4-$ure
Source: Road & Track
================================================
2011 Dodge Charger R/T - Road Test

Civility, space, tech and creature comforts coexist with 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 muscle.

By Carter Jung / Photos by Guy Spangenberg
February 11, 2011

Slideshow >>
Video >>

^^^^Decent Vid ^^^^
Video: 2011 Dodge Charger >>
Let’s say you were interested in purchasing a new car and you were in the mood for some American muscle. Mustang. Camaro. Challenger. Charger. The most obvious of the Detroit steel comes to mind, but one of them is not like the others. The Dodge Charger, with its reinterpretation in 2006, has since strayed from its original muscle car roots of the ’60s. Where the others kept their coupe configurations and relatively small-ish packages (Challenger notwithstanding), the Charger got Supersized, adding a pair of doors and more than a few notches to its dimensional belt.
At first glance, the new 2011 Dodge Charger seems to continue the growth theme, taking an evolutionary step beyond the ’06 model and adding girth. Well, it’s slightly wider (a 0.5-in. increase to 75.0 in.) but 0.2 in. shorter (199.9 in.), and track widths have increased by 0.4 and 0.7 in., front and rear, respectively, with wheelbase stretched by 0.2 in. (now 120.2 in.). It’s the improved stance combined with strong styling cues from the box-shaped scallops on the doors and aluminum hood that give the new Charger a bigger feel. This and the fact that the Charger was a big boy to begin with. The last one tipped the curb-weight scales at 4150 lb.; the 2011 model goes up to a whopping 4410.

Before you cry “time for a Lap Band!”—especially when compared to the lighter Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger—let’s say you’re in some sort of long-term relationship; a pairing that requires compromise. Suppose your significant other decides the next automobile ought to be “practical.” The hefty 2011 Charger just might be your best shot at owning something more than a soulless mode of transport.
And that’s sort of the epiphany I had when driving the 2011 Charger R/T. In an ideal world where men could remain forever Toys “R” Us kids, a 4-door stuffed with optional electronic safety measures like adaptive cruise control with forward collision warning, blind-spot monitoring, rear backup camera and rear park assist might not sound that appealing. Sure, the Uconnect Touch, Dodge’s new touchscreen infotainment system, is pretty neat for a standard feature, but it’s still a sedan—the half step between the sporty coupe and the evil minivan. But factor in reality, or a shared bank account, and two pairs of doors start to make sense.
Let’s start with the basics: The Charger is not just any sedan, but a full-size one fully capable of carrying full-size adults with full-size femurs. It’s that big. Heck, an NBA player could sit comfortably in the back…and with the front door fully open, it would take someone of that height to reach out and grab the handle. Despite the superhuman reach required, the cavernous interior passes the practicality test, with standard soft-touch materials, dual-zone climate controls, keyless entry and audio inputs. “Sure, it’s a Charger, but like the Ford Taurus or Chevy Malibu, it comes well-equipped and seats five, dear.” For the ace-in-the-hole: “The Charger has 15.4 cu. ft. of luggage space. The Camry has only 15.0 cu. ft. With the Dodge, we can fit more bags from Nordstrom!” Hook. Line. Sinker.

But all of those niceties come at a cost, a heavy one at that. The Challenger, the portliest of the three ponies, is almost 300 lb. lighter than the Charger. Compared with the Mustang, the waif of the group, the Charger weighs in 825 lb. heavier. Despite the mass, the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 found in the R/T trim, rated at 370 bhp and 395 lb.-ft. of torque, propels the Charger to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.7, beating the Mustang GT. It’s also quicker than the Challenger R/T, thanks to better tires. Those numbers might not impress the ladies, but the EPA estimates might—the V-8 Hemi with Fuel Saver Technology (the engine switches to four cylinders under light load) helps the Charger achieve an estimated 25 mpg on the highway and 16 mpg around town.
In practice, with the lack of cabin noise the Dodge doesn’t seem all that fast. At full scream, the Hemi-powered Charger—helped no doubt by its stiff unibody chassis, insulation foam and dual-pane windshield and front windows—is remarkably quiet, its 73 dBA reading much lower than the figures of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. In fact, the Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed and its max 79 dBA emits more of a ruckus than the Dodge.
Only after a glance at the Charger’s glowing red speedometer needle does the mph register and the application of brakes come in. With 2-piston front calipers, 1-piston rears and the more aggressive brake pads of the optional Super Track Pak, the big Dodge stops from 80 mph in only 209 ft. and from 60 in 119, distances bested only by the Ford Mustang GT from our domestic trio.

Surprising is how solid the Charger feels on a canyon road. You would think it would drive like a boat and inhibit any carving of asphalt. But pushing the Dodge into a series of esses, the independent front and 5-link rear suspension work well together, augmented by the Super Track Pak’s grippier 20-in. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. The Charger has just the right amount of suspension damping to stabilize its chassis. Other than suspension benefits, the Super Track Pak comes with a 3.06 rear axle, 3-mode electronic stability control (allowing full defeat), performance steering and the aforementioned heavy duty brakes. On corner exit, staying within the powerband is important because fumbling for the right gear at full throttle with the 5-speed automatic transmission (the only gearbox available) can be a bit cumbersome.
To compare the Charger solely to other present-day muscle is a bit shortsighted, and not just because of its extra doors and generous cabin. It’s much more than that. Sure, it hails from Detroit and has the distinctive aromatic musk only American steel carries, but the Charger also has an available new 292-bhp 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine plus an optional all-wheel drive system, and taillights that remind us of the Millennium Falcon. Its sedan configuration, handsome interior finishes and options, and most important, its rear-wheel-drive layout, make the Charger the only domestic model outside of Cadillac to challenge the European makes.
Hogwash, you say? Compared with the 2010 BMW 550i tested in our last issue, not only do the two 4-doors weigh exactly the same, the Charger’s performance numbers are in the same league as the 5 Series, all for $30K less. If you’re looking (Far) East, the Infiniti M56 has perform-ance numbers trumping both of these, but still rings up dollar signs on par with the Bimmer. Taking those financial facts into consideration, this makes the uniquely American Charger a sweet compromise for those of us living with hypotheticals.

Downloads:
Dodge Charger »

» Overview » Photos & 360° View » Specs » Prices w/Options

Pages: 1 Photos

Last edited by Space; 03-01-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

It looks cool, but I would still take a Challenger if I had the money.....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Last rental I had was 2010 Charger V6. It was great. Lots of room and plenty of power. I enjoyed it enough that when my family all heads off for spring break at the end of the month I will be renting one again.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Last week, Lisa and I went to see the new Charger. We were very disappointing. They made the nose look really stupid with the new front end. the center section where the cross-hairs are at have been moved about 6" forward. It now looks like it has Jimmy Durante's nose.

The side swoops are over exaggerated also. The ONLY nice thing i like about the car are the tail lights.

I'd rather have the new Camaro.

Last edited by The Popcorn King; 03-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

If I was in the market for a new car, I'd be all signed up for the Charger SRT-8 in red as soon as it came out...

Joe

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I think it's a great car, and a much needed improvement over the previous generation. That Pentastar V6 a lone is huge for Chrysler. This thing is a nice car, and the fact that they compared it to a 5-series and an Infiniti just speaks volumes.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
rj
15 Year Member

First I saw the new Charger on TV, I thought "I need to check one out."

Sunday evening Debbie & I drove by a local Mopar dealer. Mainly to see the new black Challenger setting there. Beside it was a new Charger. Not bad, but NOT the Challenger. If you know what I mean?

Personally. I would have loved it if Chrysler would have used to back end of the new Charger, on the Challenger. I just like the looks of it.

A co-worker rented a new Charger. I offered to trade my Dodge for his. So far, he isn't answering.

I think the Mopar design dept thought the side scallops on the new Charger would remind people of the 1969 Chargers that got one.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I bet the next Challenger "refresh" will have an LED tail light setup similar to the Charger.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I liked the back but not too sure about the spoiler. I wondered how the redesigned front would look in person cuz some of the first pics i seen of it looked strange. For now I'll agree the challenger looks way cooler.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Eh, I'd rather have the 550i. You know, if it wasn't 30k more.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T - Road Test