Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2008 Altima Coupe sighting

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Default RE: 2008 Altima Coupe sighting

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

How much percent of what we actually spend on those cars go to the workers huh?

I'll bet at least 75% or MORE of the profit is sent back overseas.

And seriously, like their workers are livin the good life... they don't make half what GM's employees do because the company would rather shut down then let in a Union. Sure they are making a heckuva lot more than minimum, but I'm sure it's not the money GM's or even Furd's employees are.
I don't know, and neither do you. Let's stick to talking about facts, not assumptions. What I do know is that it makes no sense to not buy a Nissan Altima for the reason you gave because that car is more american than the Monte Carlo we drive daily. I don't care if you don't like the car, you're entitled to your opinion, but I just wanted to clear up your misconceptions as to the affect buying foreign, in this case the Altima, would have on our economy. If anything it bolsters it because it's employing thousands of americans who spend their earnings on our soil. If we imported the vehicles for sale here, then you'd have a point, but that's not that case and that's all I was trying to show.

I don't know what GM guys make in comparison to the Nissan guys, but I think it would be a safe bet that they both make more than most of us. Also too, look at the horrendous financial situation GM is in, realize that they are displacing nearly 20% of thier american workforce by 2008 and making many plans to invest and expand in many foreign countries.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

How much percent of what we actually spend on those cars go to the workers huh?

I'll bet at least 75% or MORE of the profit is sent back overseas.

And seriously, like their workers are livin the good life... they don't make half what GM's employees do because the company would rather shut down then let in a Union. Sure they are making a heckuva lot more than minimum, but I'm sure it's not the money GM's or even Furd's employees are.
I don't know, and neither do you. Let's stick to talking about facts, not assumptions. What I do know is that it makes no sense to not buy a Nissan Altima for the reason you gave because that car is more american than the Monte Carlo we drive daily. I don't care if you don't like the car, you're entitled to your opinion, but I just wanted to clear up your misconceptions as to the affect buying foreign, in this case the Altima, would have on our economy. If anything it bolsters it because it's employing thousands of americans who spend their earnings on our soil. If we imported the vehicles for sale here, then you'd have a point, but that's not that case and that's all I was trying to show.

I don't know what GM guys make in comparison to the Nissan guys, but I think it would be a safe bet that they both make more than most of us. Also too, look at the horrendous financial situation GM is in, realize that they are displacing nearly 20% of thier american workforce by 2008 and making many plans to invest and expand in many foreign countries.
It is unfortunate about alll the moaning. Have we forgotten that the Monte Carlo is not even made in the US of A. Maybe 25% of that money goes to Canada.

What makes Canada different from Japan or Korea. Americans are being employed and are getting paid and are getting benefits.

Anyways, the new just anounced that GM just repassed Toyota as the number 1 car manufacturer in the worldthis month.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

It is unfortunate about alll the moaning. Have we forgotten that the Monte Carlo is not even made in the US of A. Maybe 25% of that money goes to Canada.

What makes Canada different from Japan or Korea. Americans are being employed and are getting paid and are getting benefits.

Anyways, the new just anounced that GM just repassed Toyota as the number 1 car manufacturer in the worldthis month.
Everybody isn't gonna see eye to eye all the time, I don't see that as a negative so long as the discussion continues in a mature manner.

No, didn't forget about Monte being made in Canada, I reminded everyone of that on page 3.

Any links confirming the news?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 AM

I don't mind that the Monte is made in Canada, really. If parts had to be purchased from canada they wouldn't be nearly as expensive, or take as long to ship, as , say, a car actually made in China/Japan/Taiwan/Etc would.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM

When it comes right down to it - cars of all makes tend to follow design trends...Remember the K-cars? (Shudder) That led to all sorts of economical - but completely UGLY cars.

What we're seeing now is this 'souped-up VW bug' trend. Rounded corners, shorter wheelbases, and a complete lack of originality. When you look at the Gen 5 and Gen 6 Montes, only a couple other cars from other manufacturers come to mind...seriously...think about it.

What did Dodge/Chrylser and Ford produce that could be placed into the same category as the Monte? In my opinion, the Sebring and Thunderchickens are really the only other cars that shared about the same dimensions and lines. The Thunderchicken went all retro like the Mustang and the Sebring hasn't really evolved much. General Motors had the opportunity to make the Monte a spectacular car by giving it a V8 and making it RWD...

I dunno, I'm sure the new Nissans and Toyotas will be great-handling cars with some serious 'oomph' potential, but just like the K-cars, they all look the same. I'd rather be slower and look better than be faster and look like everyone else. But then again, I'm old.

J

Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Everybody isn't gonna see eye to eye all the time, I don't see that as a negative so long as the discussion continues in a mature manner.

No, didn't forget about Monte being made in Canada, I reminded everyone of that on page 3.

Sure just google GM!!!!

GM Outsells Toyota Globally In Q2
Friday July 20, 6:57 am ET

General Motors narrowed the global auto sales gap with Toyota in the second quarter, outselling Japan's #1 car maker, after Toyota topped GM for the first time ever in Q1. During the first half of the year, Toyota sold 4.72 million cars to GM's 4.67. GM sold 2.41 vehicles globally in the recent quarter, a gain of 0.4% y/y, while Toyota sold 2.37 million vehicles in the June-ended period, for 7% growth y/y. By region, GM's sales were worst in N. America, declining 7%, while rising 8.2% in the Asia-Pacific region, 4.7% in Europe and a whopping 20% in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East. For the full year, Toyota is projecting global sales of 9.34 million units to GM's projection of 9.2 million vehicle sales. GM shares fell 1.72% Thursday and are up 15% this year. Toyota's ADR shares, which trade on the NYSE, gained 0.9% and are down nearly 8% year-to-date.[/align]

Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Old 07-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm a Canadian, but when it comes down to it, IMHO Canada and the US are a team. The US is the captain of course, but we're sort of like a family. It's OK for us to squabble with each other from time to time, but all the rest of you outsiders, aren't welcome to join in and if you try to pick on either of us, you will have to deal with both of us.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Amen brotha!

Quick Reply: 2008 Altima Coupe sighting