Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

20 redneck repairs lol

Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 20 redneck repairs lol

20 Times Rednecks Repaired Their Own Cars What do you get when you cross a redneck and a broken car? These pictures make it pretty clear that you will get a functional, albeit ugly, car.
  • Compact Gas Cover
  • Did you break off the hinge to your gas door? No worries! Just tape an old CD to your car; it will do the trick.
  • In One Door; Off With The Other
  • This guy attached a piece of plywood to his car in place of a broken door; seems secure. The slide lock totally makes this work though.
  • Pad Lock
  • Speaking of locks, this guy is a genius! If your lock breaks, attach a thin padlock and NO one will be able to get in; right?
  • Cable Ties
  • If your under carriage is starting to succumb to gravity, just reattach it with an entire case of cable ties, and you should be fine.
  • Windows Down or AC?
  • When this guys AC went out, he just added a window unit! Not quite sure how he keeps it powered, but at least it keeps the back of his neck cool!
  • Flashlights
  • I guess as long as you can see the road and other drivers can see you coming, you are good to go right?
  • More Pep in the Exhaust
  • When this exhaust system needed to be extended, the owner just added a Coke can. Most car parts are going aluminum these days anyway.
  • More Door Woes
  • This guy duct taped a bi-fold door to his pickup. There is no way he is falling out of that truck in an accident.
  • Twisted Glass
  • When this person's window was broken out, they just pulled Twister out of their kid's closet and made use of the large mat!
  • Tape Fixes Everything
  • Afraid your hood--that was damaged in a collision--will fly up while you are driving and block your vision? Just tape it down and go on your way.
  • Hot Seat
  • Who needs those fancy leather seats when you have plastic lawn chairs? They really class up the car don't they?
  • You CAN Do It!
  • A Pringles can apparently makes for a great tube extension under the hood.
  • Ride Along
  • When this car was left with only three wheels, the owner just added a cart to help it hop along for awhile longer.
  • Win...DOH!
  • This guy did such a great job of insulating the replacement window that you can't even tell it doesn't match, right?
  • Get A Handle On Things
  • To be completely honest, I'm not really sure how this one is supposed to work. Good thing its on the passenger side!
  • Building Blocks of Maintenance
  • Plastic door handles are SO yesterday anyway. Might as well install a wood block; it's artistic.
  • Jaeger Signal
  • Make sure that no condensation gets into that turn signal; cover it with a Jaeger cup...and duct tape.
  • Let's Spoon
  • If you can only afford one wiper, just rubber band a plastic spoon to the 2nd wiper to keep it from scraping your windshield.
  • Sun Protection and Reflection In One
  • That mirror-like surface of sunglasses finally came in handy for something other than resting your eyes while in a boring conversation. I wonder if objects are still closer than they appear...
  • Buckle Up
  • This guy's glove box latch broke, so he added a buckle. Makes sense since: click it or ticket after all.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

True story.

75,000 mile tuneup on 87 Nissan truck. Thought that after 15 years new plugs, wires and cap/rotor were in order.

Plugs came out OK. Bit surprised but maybe the factory used anti seize on the threads. Wires, fine. The cap.... well it's held on with two screws and they were on tight. Screwdriver stripped the heads, no ez outs in hand and said what they heck and smashed the old cap off and broke the plastic around the screws. Vice grip on the first screw, and snap, it sheared right off at the base. Second one did the same.

This was my only vehicle at the time.

I stuck the new rotor and cap on the distro, and for a moment thought about duct tape. No, has to be something better. Cable Ties. The only ones I had were neon computer geek ones. I criss-crossed them over and under the cap, gave it a good wiggle and made sure it was on tight. Started the motor and it ran. Ran better than before in fact.

Drove it that way for a week until a buddy with the ez outs had time to help. Should have heard the laughter when he opened the hood and saw the dozen multicolored cable ties holding the cap on.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

LOL Sure beats walking!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One more -

Replaced a fuseable link on a Datsun with a paperclip. The alternator had a diode fail and it would in turn burn the fuse. Being the electronics college student I was, I tried several lengths of paperclip before I had just enough to get the car home. Too short and the wires got hot enough to smoke. too long and it would melt like a fuse. Took several paperclips to make it 25 miles but the thing never caught fire.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

A few of these are decent things to get a person out of a tight jam. Then some are just silly.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Want more of these killer fixes?

Just move any where south of Michigan...

Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

LOL Hey now!!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm not too proud to admit that I have used a can to fix an exhaust leak when I was younger and didn't have the money to get it done lol, it worked for a short time fix.

I've also put tin foil in a fuse before to get me home one night when nothing was open, and sadly with one camaro I owned I wished I had thought of the spoon trick on the windshield wiper arm, my wiper flew off at high speed, but I was far from home at the time and had to continue to run the wipers and yes it scratched the window lol

That's all I am going to admit to for now lol

Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

This is just a funny one, looks like the interior dash of an old Ford.
Any way check the Air Bag.

Attached Thumbnails 20 redneck repairs  lol-unusualcars-7-.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 03-03-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: photo
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Ken-
I had my wiper fly off one time so I took off one of my socks and pulled my hair tie out of my hair and put the sock on the wiper arm and secured it with the hair tie to keep it from scratching the window...LOL