Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Chevy Spark EV?
Yes - I think it's AWESOME!
0%
No - it looks like a box on wheels
70.00%
I'd get one for a daily driver/commuter vehicle
10.00%
We REALLY need Space back - this poll is even worse than Taz's (multiple choice)
60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

119 MPG from Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow 119 MPG from Chevy

Chevy Spark EV rated at 119 mpg with 82-mile range

DETROIT -- General Motors says its Chevrolet Spark EV will get the equivalent of 119 mpg in combined city and highway driving, the best efficiency of any U.S. car sold to retail buyers.

The 2014 Spark EV, which will be launched this summer in California and Oregon, will have an EPA-rated range of 82 miles when fully charged, GM said in a statement.

Other EVs sold or slated for introduction in the United States include the Nissan Leaf, Fiat 500e, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Scion iQ EV, Honda Fit EV and the Focus Electric.

The Scion iQ EV is EPA rated at the equivalent of 121 mpg but is used only in car-sharing demonstration programs and not sold at retailers, a Scion spokesman said. The EPA created the mpg equivalency rating to help consumers compare the efficiency of gasoline-powered and electric vehicles.

The Fiat 500e, which Chrysler Group is launching this month in California, has a longer range than the Spark EV, at 87 miles. The Leaf, the top-selling pure EV, has a 73-mile range.

Expected pricing

GM has said the Spark EV will be priced less than $25,000 with tax incentives. Spark EV buyers will qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit, which signals a sticker in the low $30,000s.

GM also is launching Spark EV in Canada, South Korea and Europe. The company will consider selling the car in other U.S. regions, a spokeswoman says.

GM says the Spark EV will be the first with an optional combination charger to handle DC Fast Charging, a soon-to-be-introduced technology that can recharge as much as 80 percent of the car's battery capacity in 20 minutes.

A full charge using a 240-volt charging station takes seven hours. Charging the car with the standard 120-volt outlet takes about twice as long.

Zippy urban car

Chevrolet will market the Spark EV as a zippy urban commuter car. It will cover 0 to 60 mph in less than 8 seconds and include as standard a Chevy MyLink infotainment system with several smartphone-based applications.

GM says the Spark EV can save as much as $9,000 in operating costs over five years vs. an average gasoline-powered vehicle.

The car is powered by a GM-built electric motor combined with a 560-pound lithium ion battery pack. It will deliver 130 hp and 400 pounds-feet of torque.

Pam Fletcher, GM executive chief engineer for electrified vehicles, said in a statement: "We're poised to deliver to the market an EV that's not just efficient, but also thrilling to drive thanks to the 400 lb.-ft. torque output of its electric motor."

Originally from AutoNews

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I might give it a kick.... I mean try lol. If I was in the Toyota Matrix style crowd, I think the looks of this car would be up my alley. If I did a car like this, it would have to be a commuter type car. I have trouble seeing it any other way. But that's me

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM

That's the way I feel - it's nice to see Chevrolet is finally catching up in the technology and efficiency department, leading the pack rather. On the other hand - I wish they would take some lessons in the looks department - I don't like all their new squished/boxy looks.

Now the new Fusions on the other hand look decent and can get 100 mpg on their electric model.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Agree that the styling shouts 'cheap car'. Squint a bit and I see a Tata Nano (google it..).

Too small for me anyway.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heck when I was a kid I have built push carts bigger than that thing!
With my being an amputee it looks like it would be way to much work for me to climb in and out of it!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Kinda short range isn't it? I took a look at a Tesla Model S over the weekend and that be the only electric car I'd buy

Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

All electric cars have some kind of xx numbered mpg rating. The volt, Nissan leaf, etc. Until they come out with something nice, like the tesla i'm not really interested. Though If I HAD to get a hybrid/electric car, i'd get chevy volt, as that ones not too bad to look at. But until ev charging stations become more popular, you're limited.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Though If I HAD to get a hybrid/electric car, i'd get chevy volt, as that ones not too bad to look at. But until ev charging stations become more popular, you're limited.
I see Teslas a lot, one of their "Supercharger" stations is near my work.

If I HAD to get a hybrid, I'd get a Suburban. Just for the irony.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

A hybrid tahoe is just not even worth the money 20 city and 23 highway.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I love how they make a tiny electric car that gets over 100 miles per gallon when they've had the technology to make OUR cars that high or higher for decades. They just have to vaporize the fuel before the combustion chamber so that it all burns! And there's around 130 patents on the technology to do it!

Quick Reply: 119 MPG from Chevy