Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

02 Monte SS Pace Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Default 02 Monte SS Pace Car

Good Morning!! I joined just now for my brothers sake. He is too busy at work....OK...I'm at work too....(shhh...)

He is looking at a 2002 Monte SS Pace Car.

I love Chevy's. Always have. Been driving them for so long I don't remember NOT driving one. (I had a 70 Monte back when cars were disposable.....miss that car a LOT!) I LOVE Impala's too. I am Admin on ImpalaForums.com as well.

The reason I am here is to ask how the Monte's from the early 2000's run. I take it they use the same transmissions the Impala's do. The car has 77k on it and they want $5000. It is yellow and has the Tasmanian Devil on it as well...

What do you think? A good buy?

Thanks for your input!

Old 06-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I have an 02 monte and love it. My car has over 340 000 kms on it and still runs like new. It does have the same engine and tranny as the impala's so if you are familiar with them you will already be aware of all the issues that will arise and the tranny being the weak point in the drive train.
The price may be a little high, but I am in Canada so not certain on the used car market in your area, but I can get similar cars cheaper than that but if it has been looked after properly that says a lot about the asking price, as you know these cars are not very collectible but man there is something about them

If he likes it I wouldn't be afraid to buy it, just as with any used car give it a good once over and definitely pay attention to the tranny and how it shifts, as the good old solenoids are always a pending issue

Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 AM

Agree with all points mentioned above. Reliability wise, it's basically the same as the 3800 impalas of the same year range. There are a few minor problem spots, but nothing major at all. The engine will likely last a lot longer if it was well taken care of, but the transmission has the possibility for the usual 4t65 crap.

I definitely agree they're pretty high on price, by $1500 or so. Similar year monte carlos around here tend to go for around $3k. The mileage is better than average, but $5k is getting into camaro ss/z28 prices around here.