Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> How to get along ? <~

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile ~> How to get along ? <~

Twenty easy to follow tips on how to get along with almost anybody in almost any situation.

Every major religion has some form of the Golden Rule. You know the one. It tells us that we should treat other people the way we would like to be treated. This rule is the secret to helping others feel comfortable. This rule is the secret to getting along with people at work, at school, at parties, and anyplace else you're likely to interact. Each of the following twenty tips is based on the Golden Rule.

1. Listen

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Active listening is the most important thing anyone can do to get along with others. This means paying attention to the person speaking, and giving proper responses. Pay attention to, and remember, names of the people you talk to and one or two details about the conversations you have. Don't turn the conversation to yourself until you have talked about the other person's interests.

2. Welcome Diversity

Every person has had unique experiences that have helped shape who they are. Every culture shares similarities and differences. When meeting someone who seems different from you, keep an open mind. You probably aren't as different as you think. Accept the differences that you do discover. These are what keep life interesting and allow us to learn from one another.

3. Think First
Think before speaking or acting. Will you hurt someone if you continue? Are you reacting out of hurt, fear, or anger? What will saying or doing what you're thinking accomplish? If nothing good will come of your words or actions, don't express them.

4. Seek Out Others

Remember that other people are as shy, nervous, and insecure as you are. Some are more so. If you see someone who is standing apart from the crowd, someone who looks lost or out of place, approach them. Introduce yourself and ask his or her name. Ask a friendly, open-ended question to stimulate conversation.

5. Be Polite

Many people seem to feel that politeness and manners are archaic. They are not. Practicing good manners is just one way of letting people know that we care about them. That never goes out of style. Simple things like "Please" and "Thank you" go a long way.

6. Be Consistent

Being consistent encompasses a wide variety of things. The most important ones, however, are being someone others can count on and keeping promises.

To be someone others can count on, behave with integrity at all times.This means avoiding hypocrisy and conducting yourself in such a way that you always stay true to your sense of morality.

Keeping promises is very important if you want to get along with others. Reneging on your word - even just one time - will cause people to doubt what you say in the future.

7. Take Time For Yourself

Everyone needs to recharge sometimes. Learn to recognize when you need to get away from people, and make time to do so. Whether curling up with a book and some hot cocoa, or going on a solitary jog, make sure you have "alone time" as often as you need it.
8. Be Yourself

Recognize and accept your limitations. This is not a free pass to bad behavior. Crudeness, insults, and selfishness are not limitations - they are choices. If you choose them, be prepared that people will generally not like you.

9. Empathy

People have the gift of imagination. Seeing yourself in another person's life is a great way to use it. Imagine how you would feel in a situation similar to one someone is describing. Of course, you can't know precisely how another person feels, but empathy can get you close. <HR><HR>

<!--DMINSTR-->

10. Agree to Disagree on the MCF

Recognize that there will be times that you will not agree with another person's views and opinions. Recognize, too, that disliking a person's opinion is different from disliking that person. Accept that his or her view is not yours, and move on.

11. Figure Out Who Bothers You and Why

If someone bothers you, figure out what it is about that person that you don't like. If it is something he or she can't change (skin color, disability, gender, etc.), figure out a way to overcome your problem. If it is something that he or she can change, but chooses to not, decide whether or not you can overcome being bothered. If you decide you cannot, minimize your interactions with that person.

Interactions with people who feed your negative energy are harmful. These interactions, and your negative responses to them, make it more difficult to have positive energy in your next interaction with anyone.

12. Respect Yourself and Others 4-Sure

Without exception, give everyone respect. Treat each person as the human being they are. This includes yourself. If you have no respect for yourself, you have no respect to give. You have hero worship, but not respect. Respecting a person does not mean you have to respect that person's choices or actions.

13. No One Is More Important Than Anyone Else
(Except Space Aliens) <~ LOL

This seems to be a hard concept for many people. We've all known someone who thought they were the most important person in the room, and we've all known someone who thought someone else (often a celebrity) was more important than anyone else in the room. The truth is, no one is more important than anyone else. Each person is unique and has something to contribute. Don't get carried away with your sense of importance or with the perceived importance of anyone else. This does not mean that some people are not more important in your life than others, only that, as people, no one is intrinsically more important than anyone else.

14. Take An Interest

Ask people questions. Find out how they are doing. Find out what they are doing. Find out where their interests lie. After asking questions, encourage people to expand on their answers. In future conversation, follow up on what you've learned from them, refer back to previous discussions.

15. Don't Gossip (I'll send you a PM & tell you something really weird about `space) LOL

Don't listen to gossip about others. Don't gossip about others. Don't worry about what is being said about you - let your actions speak for themselves.

16. Criticism Is Opportunity

Listen to and think about criticism that is given to you. Even in the rare circumstance when criticism is given with the intention of hurting, it is worth considering. Is there truth to what is said? Is it something you can change? Is it something you want to change? Look at criticism as an opportunity to grow and learn about yourself.

17. Don't Take Things Personally

Often when someone has levied a hurtful comment or look at you, or has simply ignored you, it has nothing to do with you. The person may have other things on his or her mind and not be aware of how he or she is coming across to others. Give each person a second chance.

18. Be Supportive

Whenever possible, offer encouragement and support, kindness and praise. Praise people not only to their faces, but also to the people who are important to them. Give credit to others whenever it is due. If someone asks for your help, give it to him or her, steer him or her toward a more appropriate source, or explain why you cannot help. If someone seems to be struggling, ask if that person wants help. Accept that help may not be wanted. Even when you know that the person is making a mistake, if that person does not want help, don't press it. Mistakes are inevitable in life.

19. Positive Focus

In thought and conversation, focus on positive things. Rather than focusing on the things that bring you down, focus on things that make you feel good and that shine in a positive light. Cheerful conversation/posts is much less draining than negative conversation/posts. 4-$ure!

20. Smile
There's an old saying that says if you keep a smile on your face till ten o'clock, you'll smile all day. If you aren't in a good mood, or aren't ready to interact, simply wearing a smile can make it so you are. A smile is welcoming to others, and you become more approachable just by showing yours.

Last edited by Space; 03-27-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM

"Can't we all just get along ?"

Yes, I think we should
4-Sure
================
Do you get along with the majority of people
in your life ?
Post your thoughts, advice, examples.
I think it's important to get along, don't you ?
I don't like everyone, but I do my best
to_________ ?

Last edited by Space; 03-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I always make an effort to get along with everyone I come in contact with. Even if we have differing opinions that lead to discussion or debate I try to express my opinion in a manner that preserves respect for the differing opinion. IMO when one closes their mind to alternate ideals and thoughts they stunt their intellectual growth. I look at every experience in life as a learning opportunity rather than a contest of whose right or wrong.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I always make an effort to get along with everyone I come in contact with. Even if we have differing opinions that lead to discussion or debate I try to express my opinion in a manner that preserves respect for the differing opinion. IMO when one closes their mind to alternate ideals and thoughts they stunt their intellectual growth. I look at every experience in life as a learning opportunity rather than a contest of whose right or wrong.

Hi `Mike, and thanks for being the first member to post.
I make threads like this for members, and to remind myself of my teachings. I think it's important to do your best to get along with other's on planet `earth & in our universe

I really liked your words (contribution)
I look at every experience in life as a learning opportunity rather than a contest of whose right or wrong

Thank You for sharing your life experience & wisdom
I hope member's refresh themselves with this subject & contribute their experiences, or advice
Peace/Happiness from `Space

Last edited by Space; 03-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I always make an effort to get along with everyone I come in contact with. I look at every experience in life as a learning opportunity rather than a contest of whose right or wrong.
^^Words to live by

I know it's something I've been trying to work on for sure. I've been kind of stubborn in the past and have never reacted well to differing ideas or negative criticism while working in groups. But lately I've found myself approaching a lot of different things with an open mind. Seems like I've had more group projects this semester than ever in my entire life, which is great because they all have included various aspects of design. And to me design is wide open. I guess something just clicked with me and I've found it's best to go into any project and take it all in and don't shoot down anyone's idea no matter how far out it may seem. Not sure why that's changed so much lately but it's something I've definitely noticed?? I guess I probably used to be solely concerned with getting a good grade, whereas now I realize that if I can make a few friends or at least get along well with my group, there's no reason we can't sell an idea no matter what it is, thus resulting in a successful grade as well.

So yeah I'd say nowadays I get along with almost everyone in my life. There's a few occasions where someone has to try and ruin that but of course it's always someone who doesn't even actually know me so I refuse to let that get me down. I definitely don't like EVERYONE out there but I never close the door on anyone either. For me there's always an opportunity to right a wrong. A simple apology is usually all it takes. Life's to short to hold grudges over minor things. Of course there are always some circumstances where one may never gain back trust but that's for a different day

Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Morning Space & Mike. Thats why I loved being a BIKER! We all got a long. No Phoneys , We all understood what RESECT IS ! Your taught that when you join a CLUB. If you don't learn it. Your tossed out! Resect is not a givin. You have to earn it. AND YOU WILL. You get out with the general public and they have no idea what that means. I give EVERYONE the respect they give me. If you come off as a nice guy & girl. I'll double that back to you. You show me disresect. WEll lets not go there. Treat everyone like you would treat your Dad Or Mom. Makes life a lot easier! But theres alway a few butt holes that want to see how far they can push. I have had the same friends since my early 20's. And they seek me out. Cause I practice what I preach. I don't go out of my way to hurt someone. UNLESS ! I know plenty of guys & girls. Only the trusted and true are called FRIEND"s . I hope I've made some on here. Theres a bunch of nice guys & girls on here. Hope to keep it that way. NOUGH SAID. Hope ya ll enjoy the friends you have. And hope you make a ton more.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM

1 Year Member

JUSTIN TRUE words from such a young man from you & Space. Your our future hope. And with guys like you two. There HOPE! Rick

Last edited by Ricks 2006 SS; 03-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Hi Rick, thanks for your post & words. I like your biker code....I think everyone should have one 4-Sure...

I hope there is hope for our future 4-Sure...I elect Justin for president...I do believe that love can cure many problems & it would be a better world for `all.

I also think it would be better `if GM created a new Chevy Monte Carlo
Peace/Love/Happiness to the reader
from `Space

Last edited by Space; 03-28-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Very good advice from everyone so far. Sometimes people just want to argue or are looking for conflict. I see it happen on a lot of other sites. Somebody will say something just to get a response. I'm glad the MCF isn't like that, everyone here gets along pretty good.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM

1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Very good advice from everyone so far. Sometimes people just want to argue or are looking for conflict. I see it happen on a lot of other sites. Somebody will say something just to get a response. I'm glad the MCF isn't like that, everyone here gets along pretty good.
Your RIGHT LOU. I've had friends quit on other sites because of that. Its nice too see that we get a long on here. This is a hobby to most. And a social outlet for others. Its good to see we can help each other. Meet up with some of our friends and it feels like a small family.

Quick Reply: ~> How to get along ? <~