Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> Best Dash & Controls <~ ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Hi Tadd, & thanks for your post & comments 4-Sure.
Yes, I like gauges over lights..I like the Stewart/warner type gauges I've seen in some custom rides that shows everything that is going on in your engine +....

I know I liked my gauges more in my 05 Monte over my 06 Monte gauges (they were just to plain & deleted gauges)

^ Six Gen above ^
(Six & a half) or 7th Gen below

I was going to mod mine with white face but didn't

Did you mod your gauges...I know you have done many super mod's to your Monte S.S., but I will have to check you photo album again...
Wish you a Super Day & SuperSuper Mod's 2 your Awesomely Amaz'in Monte S.S. 4-Sure
No space I haven't modded my gauges yet But ya never know what the ole Tadcaster will do next (LOL)

Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I like this layout

Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I also like the look of the camaro ss gauges in the center counsel but I'm not sure how well you could read them.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
I know I liked my gauges more in my 05 Monte over my 06 Monte gauges (they were just to plain & deleted gauges)
Space, I completely agree with you on this. I'd rather have the guages there than not. Especially the water temp guage in the 7th gens that displays "C to H" and doesn't show actual temperatures. However, the 7th Gens do show a lot in the information center, though it's not engine operating information (i.e. water temp, oil pres). Appearance-wise, in a way I do like the plain, clean look of the cluster in the 7th Gens, but at the same time I did like having the additional guages in my 6th Gen. The instrument cluster layout on both generations is well done.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i hate the dash layouts of most new cars, especially the GM's. my grandmother has a rented '11 malibu, and for it being a midsize it is cramped! the console is needlessly huge, the steering wheel is too low for me and my shins & knees are in the dash! and the layout for the controlls is horrible!!

that's one of the reason's i love my 5th gen, the interior may not be exciting but it's layed out perfect, big comfy seats, nice narrow console, radio & HVAC panel at a perfect reach with nothing in their way, and perfect leg and headroom. my only major complaint with the monte is a lack of full instramantation.

the truck is also fairly comfy, every bit as well thought out as the monte but everything is still within reach, my knees don't hit the dash, and it's got the guage package so i can keep an eye on everything.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i wish my monte had more gauges. I would really like a built in transmission temp gauge. I just use my android phone to monitor that though.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I love the dash layout of the 6th gen - full analog gauges - old school! I do like the newer Mustang dashes for that modern look.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 AM

2006 Monte Carlo SS dash gauge cluster,

I would like replace my 2006 Dash cluster with an earlier year dash cluster, I just love gauges and all the needles moving. I looked it up and no info on internet avail on if it would work. The more gauges the better, 6 (trucks) is the most I have seen, also have seen 5 and 4 (cars)..I assume I would also need wire harness, IC voltage regulator and wiring diagrams.

I prefer not to go the "Pods look" way. I want the factory look. I am OK at sodering, using heat sinks and soder suckers. So I could do some of it my self, If you look at buying new gauges and holder for them and the cost associated with that route, I could probably afford to have an expert do it, and I probably will.

If I can do it one way or another, I would definatly video and document it to be shared with all. It does not make sense to reinvent the wheel. Edison said "it took over a hundred tries to make the light bulb" and he was asked if he ever got frustrated?
His reply was: "no, I found over a hundred ways not to do it"

Any thoughts or suggestions on this matter is greatly appreciated

Brad Future Owner - maybe tomorrow

Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM

I forgot to share a memory,

I rented a car recently and it had a lot options on the touch screen. Of course I had to try them all.

Bottom line here is that I crashed the rented car, ouch!
I was very lucky ( I am 65 yrs young) it was in country and not in a town.
I do not even answer my cell phone when driving now. I heard in England that there is law about driving car and texting messages.

I am currently working on a sending device that blocks every incoming frequency except radio while car is moving. Total cost incurred to date is less than $20 and it works. It is a kind of jammer which is tunable. There are some opportunities for improvement however (lol):

Range: It was and is kinda powerful in its blocking ability, apartment complex 50 units sometimes they all have no phone service, cable tv remotes seem to stop working and bunch of other things - neighbors have asked if I am having same problem they have and I have said yes. Also police and emt people have had problems while in complex, If I hear sirens or alarms go off in complex, I immediately shut it down. Regular TV service and home radios were also affected when I first tried it, I have fixed that issue.

When I first started this project my son was concerned because I have a pacemaker. He made me a jacket to wear to protect my heart. I found out, however other neighbors have pacemakers and no problems - thank God. Phew. Son was afraid for me however, because my pacemaker contacts this pyramid shaped box I have and that contacts satellites monitoring heart. Physicians can change setting on it while I am home, they call first and must have permission to use this feature. My pacemaker is not the defib kind, it actually runs my heart - it tells heart when to beat by sending signals to heart - all of my normal stuff in heart has been burned and no longer works - kinda complicated.

Now I only work on it late at night and I am trying to reduce effective range of device. Hopefully I get the car I am looking at and that will occupy my mind, rather than this device. Truthfully I'll probably do both.

Sorry for drifting off subject here (senior moment),

Lunch time for me,,and hopefully I hear about car,

Brad future owner

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Brad future owner
I forgot to share a memory,

I rented a car recently and it had a lot options on the touch screen. Of course I had to try them all.

Bottom line here is that I crashed the rented car, ouch!
I was very lucky ( I am 65 yrs young) it was in country and not in a town.
I do not even answer my cell phone when driving now. I heard in England that there is law about driving car and texting messages.

I am currently working on a sending device that blocks every incoming frequency except radio while car is moving. Total cost incurred to date is less than $20 and it works. It is a kind of jammer which is tunable. There are some opportunities for improvement however (lol):

Range: It was and is kinda powerful in its blocking ability, apartment complex 50 units sometimes they all have no phone service, cable tv remotes seem to stop working and bunch of other things - neighbors have asked if I am having same problem they have and I have said yes. Also police and emt people have had problems while in complex, If I hear sirens or alarms go off in complex, I immediately shut it down. Regular TV service and home radios were also affected when I first tried it, I have fixed that issue.

When I first started this project my son was concerned because I have a pacemaker. He made me a jacket to wear to protect my heart. I found out, however other neighbors have pacemakers and no problems - thank God. Phew. Son was afraid for me however, because my pacemaker contacts this pyramid shaped box I have and that contacts satellites monitoring heart. Physicians can change setting on it while I am home, they call first and must have permission to use this feature. My pacemaker is not the defib kind, it actually runs my heart - it tells heart when to beat by sending signals to heart - all of my normal stuff in heart has been burned and no longer works - kinda complicated.

Now I only work on it late at night and I am trying to reduce effective range of device. Hopefully I get the car I am looking at and that will occupy my mind, rather than this device. Truthfully I'll probably do both.

Sorry for drifting off subject here (senior moment),

Lunch time for me,,and hopefully I hear about car,

Brad future owner
Hey man can you tune that device to​ shut off sterio systems that the idiots play way to loud!! Maybe have directional beam so I can blast there stuff only.

Quick Reply: ~> Best Dash & Controls <~ ?