Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ ~ mOtorCycle-\O

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: ~~~~~ Motor-Cycles ~~~~~

http://www.geocities.com/lakersfool/fjpics.html

My second FJ1200
From 1986 to 1994 I owned an '86 FJ1200. I rode this bike over 80k miles. I hardly took any pictures of it. In Jan '99, longing for the feel of another torque beast between my legs, I bought another FJ1200. It is a 1990 with 11k miles and practically mint. This time I won't ride as much, but I will appreciate her and document our adventures. This bike has very low mileage and many mods. They include, Corbin seat, complete braided line conversion, Stage III jet kit, V & H individual air filters, V & H Supersport exhaust, aftermarket cams (brand and spec's unknown), Ohlins rear shock, and Progressive springs & cartridge emulators. Email me at lakersfool@yahoo.com if you have any FJ questions.

N-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ce!

Timeless Styling

Torque for days!

60-100 mph in 3 Seconds!

My Vanity Plates

Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]Grandpa `Dave,[/align][align=center]Thanks for taking time from your life to share your information/pictures of your FJ 1200. I appreciate.[/align][align=center]I've never owned a bike, but I've rode every friends bike : )[/align][align=center]My grandfather still think's I'm to wild to be on 2 wheels : )[/align][align=center]He said the World is in enough danger with me on four wheels: )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Where is your favorite place to ride it ?[/align][align=center]Do you wear a helmet ?[/align][align=center]Is insurance high in CA for bikes ?[/align][align=center]Thanks again for your post ![/align][align=center]The Beach Bum's & I EnJoyed : )[/align][align=center]Be `Safe, & enjoy your `journey....[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Review of the 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200
Torque

Picture credits - Alain Plante. Click to submit more pictures.

Bike specifications
Discuss this bike

Sell this motorcycle
Such bikes for sale

Rate this motorbike
This bike's rating

Tip a friend
Write a new review
Great Bike!
Review of the FJ 1200 submitted on 2006-03-11.

Superb two up riding. Lost of power lots of torque. Great long distance sport tourer. No need to downshift, it could had easily been a two speed bike.

Gas mileage around 43mpg, top speed over 150mph.

This review of the 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200
was submitted by:
Ton Up

This review of the 1990 Yamaha FJ 1200 was posted by a visitor on Bikez.com and does not necessarily reflect facts, truth or Bikez.com's opinions. Please report profane or otherwise inappropriate content by following this link.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Here is one place I frequent. It is less than an hour drive.
[align=center]
The Rock StoreEd & Vern
30354 Mulholland Hwy
Cornell, California 91301
(just east of Malibu in Los Angeles)
Store Phone Number 818-889-1311
Office Phone Number 805-375-7432
info@rock-store.com
[/align]History of the Rock Store[align=left]Ed and Vern (Veronica) moved to Southern California from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania after WWII. They stumbled across this building, made entirely out of volcanic rock, which had been a stagecoach in the 1910's. They purchased this "Rock Store", in 1961, and created a small town grocery store out of it. As the years rolled by, many changes were taking place in this town of Cornell, CA.
Cornell started growing in population, which forced the development of major roadways connecting Mulholland Highway to the Pacific Coast. As people started flocking to this area, more and more people started taking notice of this small town store. Not only were carloads of people stopping by for cold refreshments, but motorcyclists began pouring in from all directions. They were drawn to the windy canyon roads, and of course the opportunity to really test out their riding skills.
As more and more people began frequenting this "pit stop," it became a landmark institution for the avid motorcyclist's community. Ed and Vern have built a reputation for the Rock Store as one of the top tourist destinations, and a hang out for the "who's who" of the motorcycling world. The Rock Store is the most famous motorcycle stop in Southern California and has been featured in many commercials, films, music videos, television productions and magazine photos.
Among the attractions are the rustic settings, celebrity sightings, hundreds of bikes to look at, poker runs, and of course the food and drinks. The Rock Store is most popular for their hefty breakfasts, BBQ Tri-tip Sandwiches, Teriyaki Chicken Sandwiches, Homemade Chili and Soups, and who can forget those ice cold beverages.
On any given weekend you can stop by and chat with the celebrities who frequent the Rock Store. There is always the interest of Jay Leno and "what is he going to ride up on today?". Jay enjoys bringing up any one of his latest "toys" so that everyone can see it. You can usually find him in the parking lot talking amongst the people. He'll be the first one to show you under the hood of his new truck, or help someone with repairs on their bike. Arnold Schwarzenegger often pops his head in for a quick bite, before spinning off into the canyons. Matt LeBlanc can be spotted hanging out on the patio with "friends." You really never know who you are going to see walk through the front door.
Stop by and chat with Ed & Vern over breakfast in our rustic restaurant or a BBQ lunch and beer on our patio. They truly have created the most biker friendly place in the universe. Or, read more about the Rock Store. [/align]

[align=center] [/align][align=center]

Map of:
Rock Store
30354 Mulholland Hwy
Cornell, CA 91301-3116
[/align]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM

Here is another place that I can almost visit every day. It is only minutes from my house and business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway

Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM

This road is between my house and office.

MOTORCYCLEROADS.US

Your one-stop resource for great motorcycle roadsâ„¢
Turnbull Canyon Road - California[align=center]Whittier to Hacienda Heights - 5 Miles
[/align]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Oh yeah, I pay $75 a year minimum liability coverage on insurance.

I've been a licensed motorcycle driver for 30 years.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

~ There is so much beauty in our World ~ You get to see `it & feel it on a `Bike ~
GP `Dave, thanks for sharing the fun that you have on your MotorCycle
My g/f & I look forward to our future trip to your part of the country.
You are fortunate to live/ride the roads in that awesome area of the country.
Thanks....Much.....4 Shar'in : )
`Space

Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM

well, theres my scooter, itsa 94 honda vfr750. vurtually stock machine. according to some old test articles i've seen it was rated for 98hp, was capible of an 11.3sec 1/4 mi, and a top speed between 155 and 160mph depending on which article you read.

as far as a dream machine goes, i'd like a liter size sport bike, but they dont sit as comfortable as this bike. the problem with this bike is that its more comfortable in part due to the lower footpegs than a full on sportbike, but then my shoes start dragging before my knee is very close to the ground. so my dream bike would be a bike that performs like a sportbike and rides likea goldwing.

well, the picture doesnt wanna go up.... i'll get it here sometime

[IMG]local://upfiles/1815/4F52C9F93A9A45E0A87657F520F44E74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Had to post my vote on this one. I have to admit I love the sound of the "tater" bikes. And the looks with all the chrome, leather and cool paint jobs. But as for owning one and riding one, I have to pass. I used to want one until Oct of 2005.

My brother in law had an old Triumph, a super nice bike. He was out on a cruise, minding his own business, when this 16 year old kid decided to pass a line of cars. He pulled out of traffic into my brother in laws lane and hithim head on. Sent him flying through the air and he landed about 600 feet down the road. Theyestimated the kid was doing about 65 andthe bikewas doing about 50whenthey inpacted.He lost his right arm and leg and was in a coma for 6 weeks. Medical bills way up into the hundreds of thousands. Way tough break for a man who was the sole provider for his family.

But you know, that old Triumph held up good. Bent the forks, sheared off the gear shifter and scraped the tank and the frame. I don't know if a newer bike could have taken an impact like that and still be in 1 piece.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 AM

[align=center]Bad Stuff happens to Good People Everyday,[/align][align=center]but we can not letit prevent usfrom living, & enjoying life.[/align][align=center]Monte Mom, I could fill the forum with Sad Stories[/align][align=center]I appreciate your post, and understand your feelings.[/align][align=center]I have compassion for the injuries/lose of life [X(][X(][/align][align=center](My grandfather agree's with you)[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Life is a Gamble for Everyone.[/align][align=center]We must live it...., to EnJoy `it. There is a price for[/align][align=center]all actions that one does in Life.[/align][align=center]Are the Risk, worth the consequences ? ? ? ?[/align][align=center]Only you can decide.....[/align][align=center]I choose to `ride : ) [/align][align=center]`Amen[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Life, it's a Gamble,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Are you go'in 2 roll the dice ?[/align][align=center][:-]Motorcycle deaths rise sharply [X(][/align][align=center]By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Motorcycle fatalities nationwide have surged to their highest levels since 1987, even as overall highway deaths continue to decline.

Last year, 4,008 motorcycle riders were killed in highway accidents.

By Ben Garver, AP
Last year, 4,008 motorcycle riders were killed in highway accidents, up 7.9% from 2003 and 89% higher than in 1997, according to a new National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. Meanwhile, passenger car deaths dropped 3.2% to 19,091 last year.
The increase in motorcycle deaths has spurred Congress to add $3 million to a federal transportation bill for a study on motorcycle crashes. President Bush is set to sign the measure this week.
"What we need now are answers, not theories," said Tom Lindsay, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association.
Possible causes: a sharp rise in motorcycle ownership, rollback of mandatory helmet laws and an increase in inexperienced bikers riding powerful machines.
Americans bought an estimated 734,000 new on-highway motorcycles last year, up from 230,000 in 1995, said Tim Buche, president of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
But more motorcycles don't account for the entire increase. The fatality rate is also on the rise.
In 2003, the most recent year for which statistics are available for motorcycles, the fatality rate was 38.38 per 100 million miles traveled. In 2002, that figure was 34.23.
By contrast, the fatality rate for all highway drivers has improved for decades and in 2004 was 1.46 per 100 million miles traveled.
Rae Tyson, spokesman for the highway administration, said blame may lie partly with states that have scaled back helmet laws. A study released by the agency Monday showed an 81% rise in motorcycle deaths in Florida in a three-year period after the state repealed its law in 2000.
[b]Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers. Jeff Rabe, lobbyist for the Modified Motorcycle Association of California, said more "middle-aged executives" are riding powerful machines without training. "There's

Quick Reply: ~ ~ mOtorCycle-\O