Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

=> Super Chevy 1966 `StingRay <=

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up => Super Chevy 1966 `StingRay <=

1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray - Doozie
"I'm just loving `it 4-Real">

Old hand Harold Stamey, Jr. spins a good yarn

Ro McGonegal Dec 19, 2014 0 Comment(s) Share

View Full Gallery

It has been said that a car, regardless of its modifications or lack thereof, is an extension of its owner and that it reflects their personality. Speaks to their history. And while anything factory-built, no matter how precious it may seem, assures complete anonymity, the hot rod marks its owner, got their stamp on it, no other car quite like it. Ultimately, cars are only machines and otherwise inert until a human enters the equation and begins exploitation.
Ever since fire was respected, humans have gathered around it and become bonded by stories of triumph, sacrifice, and joyful participation. Harold Stamey has been doing cars for a while now, having horsed several incarnations during his 59 years on earth: ’33 Ford, ’55 Chevy, ’61 Impala, ’62 Corvette, ’65 Corvette, ’67 Chevelle, ’69 Camaro, ’71 Camaro, ’72 Camaro, and a ’07 ZO6 Corvette. Harold likes a good campfire and he tells a good story.
“There I was, watching another man’s dream car [a ’66 Corvette] being built at Norm’s Rod Shop in Conyers, Georgia. Norm has become a close personal friend and I frequently stop by to watch the progress of his latest builds. I have to admit that I lusted after this car.”
2/17
3/17
4/17
“I had owned a ’64 coupe when I was in high school and had always wanted another. I watched every modification being made, even offered a few suggestions. I wanted to know every detail of the build. Then the day came. Norm said that the owner wanted to sell, mid-build no less, and I was offered first dibs. My wife, Dale, is also a car ‘guy’ and has always been into my various projects. However, I was pushing the limits. I had always told her that we did not have a collection, but as the number of cars in my shop continued to grow, I was having a hard time convincing her otherwise. She would say that I pleaded. I would say I persuaded, so the truth likely lies somewhere in between. I even promised I would sell two other cars just to own and complete this project. Is this where I should mention that the two cars I promised to sell still reside in my shop? Now you know the real reason I had to plead. Anyway, it was mine, or should I say ‘ours?’ We got it in time to make the final decisions regarding paint, interior, gauges, dashboard, steering wheel, as well as the wheels and tires,” said Harold, not the least bit sheepish.
Though the car rolled out of Norm’s shop in September 2013, it’s still pretty static and hasn’t moved past the show stage. Harold dropped the curtain at the Shades of the Past event in 2013. Then the C3 was featured at the Summit/Atlanta Motorama and copped Builder’s Choice at the 2014 Nashville Goodguys. Right about now, we think Mr. Stamey, Jr. must be itching to lay some rubber down.
The Corvette wasn’t Harold’s first day in school. He’d worked with Norm Wizner before and had always come away feeling satisfied and refreshed. Since the vibe was at least tacit Pro Touring, Norm had already elected a sturdy Morrison chassis for the foundation (maximum resistance to torsional bending), while the rear suspension centers around a 9-inch-type housing infused with 3.70:1 gears and a limited-slip differential. Strange Engineering coilover shocks and a four-link suspension locate the banjo.
Custom A-arms are joined by Wilwood spindles and Strange Engineering dampers support the front of the Corvette, and the old cog box was replaced by a rack steering assembly. At each corner, Wilwood brakes sport six-piston calipers clamping down on 13-inch drilled and slotted discs. To be sure, the flashy big ’n’ little rollers are foils for the Corvette’s slick, silver bullet coat: Boyd SOB hoops measure 17x7 and 20x11 and support 225/40 and 295/45 BFG KDW friction agents.
5/17
6/17
7/17
More than 550 lb-ft of nearly instant torque can be quite entertaining in a 3,000-pound envelope, and in this case, it pours out of a ZZ502 crate with forged rotating parts, the perfect score for a power-adder. But there is no power-adder on Harold’s engine. He loved the rather exotic short-stack signature of the electrified Hilborn port fuel injection that is governed by a Holley controller. Underneath it all, Norm’s Rod Shop balanced the assembly and bumped the compression ratio from 9.6 to 10.5:1. Aluminum oval port heads maintain 2.25/1.88 valves nudged by 1.7:1 steel rocker arms. A dual-row timing chain links the factory hydraulic roller (0.527/0.544-inch lift, 224/234-degree duration) with the GMPP crankshaft. The MSD timing module is set at 30 degrees. Waste gas and some unburned hydrocarbons are channeled through a Norm-built coated 3-inch system swedged into oval Flowmaster mufflers.
The intermediate drivetrain is composed of Richmond Gear five-speed transmission (1.0:1 final drive ratio) and an 11-inch Ram hydraulically activated pressure plate assembly. In Forest Park, Georgia, Drive Line Service tailored the aluminum propeller shaft.
As for the Corvette’s clothes, all parties deemed minor aesthetic changes but nothing that would sully the car’s classic silhouette. Rod Shop deleted the windshield wipers, removed the cowl vents, sectioned the big-block hood, tucked the bumpers closer to the body and sank some custom inserts in the hood lump. Norm’s agent anointed the carcass with House of Kolor Orion Silver base- and clearcoats.
8/17
9/17
When it came to the digs, Norm’s dragged the C3 north to Pro Auto Custom Interiors in Knoxville, Tennessee. The minimal buckets are the focal point of the interior and were built by Wise Guys Seats in Elkhart, Indiana. Lipstick Red hides coincide with matching carpets, door panels, and dashboard. Painless wiring supports the mille-joule brigade, including the Vintage Air HVAC and the whimsical Classic Instruments gauges. On the active side, Harold alters the gear spread with a Long shifter and put hands on a Billet Specialties split-spoke wheel over an adjustable steering column. As for aural gratification, Harold offers this: “There is no sound system. We prefer to listen to the 502.
“To say that this has been a dream come true is most definitely an understatement. To my wife and me all of our cars elicit memories of times past as well as make new memories for our future. This car is the crown jewel of our non-collection.”
Yes, discretion has always been the better part of valor. Dale Stamey appreciates that very much.
10/17

Last edited by Space; 12-24-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Talking >Bonus Post just 4 U > EnJoy<

1968 Chevrolet Corvette - Jim Paine’s Excellent Corvette Adventure, Part 1

Rare Finds

Jerry Heasley Dec 19, 2014

View Full Gallery

“I was leaving the Chevrolet store and asked the salesman if there were any other Corvettes, and he said, ‘Yeah, I know of a ’56 Corvette with 16,000 miles on it.’”
Jim Paine didn’t believe the salesman, but he would go take a look if he could. After all, he’d just bought a one-owner ’68 from this same man.
Paine’s Excellent Corvette Adventure started one night during dinner at his home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His brother Gary, who lives about three hours away in Columbus, Ohio, called and said, “I’m at a Chevrolet store buying a new car and this salesman told me they just took in a ’68 427 Corvette convertible on trade.”
2/6
3/6
The dealer was Jack Maxton Chevrolet, the same dealer that sold this ’68 brand new back in the day. In fact, Paine learned the salesman, now 86 years old, who originally sold the car in 1968, still worked at this dealership selling new Chevrolets.
A long-time Corvette enthusiast, Paine shortened his early dinner and jumped on his cell to call before the sales day was completely over. He discovered the ’68 Corvette was a white convertible powered by a 400-horsepower 427 Tri-power (L68 option) and backed by a four-speed transmission. Maxton Chevrolet had maintained the car since new. The owner was a typical engineer who kept notes on everything he did and had been meticulous with the car. Furthermore, the ’68 came with every single piece of paperwork the car ever had: the little key packet, the window sticker, the bill of sale, the Protect-O-Plate. It had Everything.
Paine was sold. He wanted the car. The problem being he was three hours away in Pittsburgh. Undaunted, Paine dealt for the car sight unseen. He talked to the salesman (not the older man who sold the car originally) who informed him “the owner wants $45,000 for the Vette and is firm on that price.” Paine stayed calm and offered $42,000. As proof he was serious, he would give his credit card number over the phone. The salesman replied, “Well, he’s not going to take that.”
4/6
“I said, ‘Would you at least ask the owner?’” Paine waited on the phone for over five minutes, as the salesman called the owner. “He came back and said the owner would take my $42,000 offer.”
Elated, Paine gave the salesman a $1,000 deposit on his credit card to hold the car.
The next day, Paine and his son, Jake (his car-chasing friend), drove down to Columbus. Sure enough, what Paine figured would happen was true. The salesman told him there were about five people who wanted to buy the car that night before they closed.
5/6
While the salesman was doing the paperwork for the transaction, he asked Paine if he would like to meet Andy MacKay, the salesman who sold the car brand new in 1968.
Feeling that Andy was part of the car’s history, he was excited to meet him. In fact, Paine got a photo of himself and Andy shaking hands at the dealership—a little something to immortalize the purchase.
Paine’s Vette excitement wasn’t over yet. He wanted to know more about that ’56 Corvette the salesman mentioned.
Was this car for real? Did a little old lady from Columbus actually have a ’56 Vette for sale?
Flip to this column next month for Part 2 of Jim Paine’s Excellent Corvette Adventure.
6/6

Thanks Super Chevy

Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

WOW that 66 is absolutely gorgeous

Old 12-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ohara
WOW that 66 is absolutely gorgeous

Hi `Ken, thanks for being the first to post on this thread on this super super super `StingRay....Yes, it's a beauty & I love it.

I think if Chevy made it again with new tech it would be a Big Seller.

>

Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I agree, kind of like the plymouth prowler throw back to the old style cars. If GM produced a retro vette with todays technology it would probably be an amazing car and would sell out quicker than they could imagine. There is a reason people "lust" after those automobiles, from the yesteryears, as the styling and overall performance "for it's time" was impeccable, they caught your attention and held it to this day. After a few generations of plastic throw together cars that the auto companies have been putting out maybe a blast from the past would be a good thing for them to debut.

Some of the guys that you read about in the car magazines that take an old muscle car and re engineer the suspension to todays available options, and then throw in a fuel injected monster of a motor yet still have a/c and all creature comforts are true genuises.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:43 AM