Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

=>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh I gotcha. Yeah I just had to get a NJ title turned into a PA one.

Must have missed that part :p

Old 09-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Its ok Mike, I know you guys over to the east are a little slower so I wont hold it against you lol.

Yeah its an abandoned vehicle.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
My boss told me when he picked up the paperwork to file for the title, the lady said it will probably take longer than usual to get the title back. She said they have been taking longer than usual in Harrisburg to file the paperwork. May be looking at two months to get the title. Looks like I wont get the monte off the road before the snow flies but hopefully I will get the car before christmas time.

On the up side, today I brought the car into the shop and put it up on the lift. Damn is that thing clean. Its actually cleaner than my Monte underneath and my monte is spotless underneath. There isnt a drip of anything under the engine compartment and the only rust is on these two little plates that box together the rails and the trailing arm mounts. Even that rust is just surface rust.
Mod `Matt, we all wanta see Pictures 4-Sure...
We shall all sit here & wait
Does it run ? How clean is the engine bay ? Interior ? Trunk ? etc. Can you get a temporary auto tag as the process in Harrisburg is completed ? I know here in Florida that you can get a 30 day temp tag while the title work is changed ? Are you going to wait until you get the title to start working on it, or will you start now ?
That would be good for you...
Will look 4ward to your updates...Good Luck

Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Space, no I cant get a temporary tag for the car unfortunately. I wont put any money into the car until I have the title in hand. Really I dont really want to do any work on it other than fix the front bumper cover and change the oil, coolant, ect. It doesnt really need anything. From the little Ive drove it, it seems to run like a top. Clutch feels good as do the brakes but I will check them anyway. The car is practically mint minus the bumper cover and the front edge of the hood looks like its been sandblasted from tailgaiting. The interior is clean and the underneath is spotless as is the engine bay. Oh yeah I think the consol is broke or loose or something, it moves around way too much. No pics until I get the car unfortunately but I will take some good ones when I do, I promise.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Hi `Matt,
A promise is a promise So, we will be checking everyday until you post some pictures ~>
From what I've read in your post the Grand Am sounds promising 4-Sure....I believe in Karma, and believe that good things happen to good people, and maybe this Grand Am is a pay back 2 U Yes, 4-Sure....

Wish you good luck getting the paperwork complete and being able to get it on the road.... Keep us updated...I promise I will read your posts ~> 4-Sure..
Please try to post good news : ) LOL

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 PM

Good news travels fast, bad news travels even faster. If the Quad 4 was a bad engine there would be posts to note that. I rented an Olds Calais that had a Quad 4 in it. It ran well.

When I was in Vermont I dealt with abandoned cars. They are a pain in the a**. Once you get the car in Vermont the tow yard had to store it for 30 days before anything could be done. This allowed a local owner to redeem it. After that we had to file abandoned papers on it and have a peace officer run the vin and sign off on the paper work. From there it was sent to the state department of Motor Vehicles. They would run a check on it to see if it was involved in a crime. They would then check to see if there was a lien holder on the vehicle. If so the lien holder was given the opportunity to redeem the car, an ad was placed in the paper for a specified period of time I think 90 days. If no one contacted the state a new title is issued. This process could take six months.