Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

=>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Question =>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help

Hey guys. I have a chance at a 1994 grand am GT 5 speed with the 175hp quad 4 HO for relatively cheap. It has 80 some thousand miles and its incredibly clean. I have heard some bad things about the quad 4 and was wondering if anyone had enough experience with it to point out common problems it has and some things to look out for. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Space; 09-16-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Add ?'s 2 C if anyone notices ? ? & Replies ? ?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Hi Matt,
One of my senior friends had one & it ran super...Just a oil leak that had to be fixed...He put over 250K miles before he traded it for a Mazda 3...

Below is a link I found that has some good infor on the Quad 4....I hope you found a good one...Good Luck from `Space
Paul Jay's Quad 4 Webpage

Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks for the link Space. Thats a pretty cool site.

Do you happen to remember what year your grandfather's friend's car was? Was it a grand am or some other vehicle with a quad 4?

I started the thing up today after work and it seems to run smooth. The center consol kinda moves with the shifter which I thought was funny. The front bumper cover is split around the passenger side fog light. Other than that the car is clean and rust free, only a little hint beginning in the wheel wells. The interior is clean as well.

Still looking for more input. Anyone?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM

Hi Matt,
He had a 1996 Grand Am & he was always on the go.

The bums & I would wash it & change his oil.
He only lived in Florida during the Winter & drove back and forth from Maine many times during the year.
He said he drove the interestates @ 80 MPH, but he did not
abuse his ride & maintained it 2 the book.
He's now in his 80's & doesn't drive as much, but he keeps his Mazda 3 in showroom condition...
Below is more infor on the Quad...I also was hoping that one of our member's will post their knowledge/experience on
the Quad ? ?

GM Quad-4 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Quad-4_engine</CITE> - CachedSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
The engine family known as the Quad 4 was debuted to the public in the ...

Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM

5 Year Member

I am surprised no one else has chimed in Space. There has got to be someone who has owned/worked on the quad 4 at one point or another. I checked TSBs on shopkey at work and there really werent any TSBs for the quad 4 in the grand ams, most of the TSBs were for the 3100.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 AM

? Space change your mind for a double post?

All I know is the quad 4 is a good running engine. They do, however have a small intake problem as most gms

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by augi
? Space change your mind for a double post?
All I know is the quad 4 is a good running engine. They do, however have a small intake problem as most gms
Hi `Dustin,
I double posted just in case someone missed it the first time LOL
No, I've been having computer problems, and IE9 sometimes doubles my posts when I hit submit I then have to delete them ...It's a pain 4-Sure...Also, I wanted to bump Mod `Matt's thread to see `if we can get any member's that had experience with the Quad 4...
Thanks for your post 4-Sure..

4 KB

Last edited by Space; 09-15-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 AM

Hi Mod `Matt,
On break from work this morning & checking threads & posts and I am surprised that none of our member's have posted on this thread or just don't know about the Quad 4 engine ?

Below is another link I found that has some decent infor on the Quad...Check it out & let us know if you are going to get one ? Good Luck from `Space
Quad 4 Problems | Repair Advice | Auto-Facts.org

Click to check out above link on problems of the Quad 4
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Continued on next post (Would not fit in one post: )
1996 Pontiac Grand Am

<TABLE id=SnapPrice cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Kelley Blue Book price:</TD><TD class=value>$2,200 - $2,325</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Reliability rating:</TD><TD class=value></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- Begin VIP page content -->Introduction

The 1996 Pontiac Grand Am is available in four models: SE and GT, as either a 2-door coupe or 4-door sedan. Both come standard with a 150-horsepower 4-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. An automatic transmission and a 3.1-liter V6 are options. Standard safety features include dual airbags, an anti-lock brake system (ABS), and daytime running lights. All models are equipped with power door locks, fog lights, and an AM/FM stereo. The GT models also have air conditioning, a rear spoiler and a tilt steering wheel. Options include power windows, cruise control, power glass sunroof, a remote keyless entry system and an electric rear window defroster.

Last edited by Space; 09-16-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 AM

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Reliability Rating<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tb vAlign=middle>KEY:</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Minimal Problems</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Moderate Problems</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Significant Problems</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="tblueborder reliabilityRatTable" cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)" vAlign=top><TD class=tbw>Category

</TD><TD class=tbw>Rating

</TD><TD class=tbw width="50%">Comments

</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top><TD>Engine

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Fuel Injectors and the EGR Passages. Failures of the Fuel Injectors and EGR passages apply to the 3.1L V6 engine.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors is estimated at $126.00 each for parts (total of 6) and $136.50 for labor.The cost to clean the EGR Passages is estimated at $10.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204)" vAlign=top><TD>Transmission & Driveline

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top><TD>Steering & Suspension

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204)" vAlign=top><TD>Brakes

</TD><TD></TD><TD>An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Front Wheel Speed Sensors. The cost to repair the Front Wheel Speed Sensors is estimated at $69.00 each for parts and $52.00 each for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top><TD>Heating & Air Conditioning

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204)" vAlign=top><TD>Starting & Charging

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top><TD>Accessories

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(102,102,102)"><TD class=tbw>Overall

</TD><TD></TD><TD class=tw>5 out of 5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*Repair costs are based on a flat rate of $65.00 per hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 AM

5 Year Member

Wow thanks Space. You always tend to impress me with your posts. The link you posted was very helpful in pointing out potential problems with the coil cover. Thanks.

Quick Reply: =>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help