Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

=>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM

You're Welcome `Matt,
But I have to give credit to Googles & the search engines for being able to find the information to share with member's.

I still can't believe that we don't have member's that have owned a Quad 4 ? I've tried to keep bump'in your thread in hopes of getting attention..., but so far ? only Augi has posted. I even tweaked your title to see if it would get more attention, but ~>Not yet ?

The Quad 4 does have a few problems, but I like the design & power of this four banger... I don't think the problems are bad, and if the one you are looking at has been maintained, I think it would be a great engine/car to have `if the price is right ? Let us know what you decide...GOOD LUCK 4-Sure

Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 AM

If I hadn't happened across the Monte I was gonna grab a 98 Grand Am GT with a quad 4 and a 5 speed. Good power and from what I've heard pretty reliable and efficient for the most part.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 AM

More info on the quad 4
Everything I tell you about them is coming from a buddy of mine who had a 98 gt with a quad a nd 5 speed...
it has a muncy 5 speed manual
even though they are RATED 150hp, they have to have more than that because I can bear witness to it being stock and keeping up with a few stock mustang gts.
like I said... the intake manifold gasket... they get a pinhole leak... I forgot where exactly, but when it happens, the only signs you encounter are antifreeze leaking out (you'll never ssee a puddle) and sludge on the radiator cap... or it'll show signs of a head gasket being blown.
if the primary, you need to change the intake gasket because the engine will hydrolock if not caught.

Other than that... its just a 4 valve per cylinder 4 cyl.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Thanks guys. I am getting the car, I just have to wait for the paper work to get finished. My boss towed the car in because it was abandoned in someones yard by a drunk driver. Once he files the paperwork and gets the title back I am going to take it off his hands.

Last edited by mrl390; 09-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Great to read Mod `Matt 4-Sure...
Will be looking forward to seeing pictures & reading all about it...Hope you get a good price from your boss & that it's in decent shape....Wish you GOOD LUCK...
How long will the process take ? I think you are going to have fun getting it ready for the road + you wont' have to drive your Monte in bad weather......But, what's going to happen `if you like it better then your Monte , No I don't think that could happen , but what `if ? ~>

Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM

5 Year Member

The process would probably take a few weeks. Its a little shorter since the car isnt totaled, just abandoned. If it was a rebuild, you have to go through a more in depth process and inspection to get the rebuilt title. This title will come back as a salvage title with it listed as an abandoned vehicle, not a rebuild.

I dont know if I will get rid of my monte and only have this car as a DD. The car would have to be really reliable for me to make that choice. I was planning on parking the monte and refreshing the top end over the winter maybe. It doesnt really need anything but its almost time to change the timing belt, and while I am at it I want to do the head gaskets so I dont have to tear into it again down the road. We will see how the money situation is at that point. If I sell it for the right price I may get rid of it but who knows. I like the idea of having a beater AND something nice to drive when I want to.

Last edited by mrl390; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I owned a 95 Grand Am GT coupe with the quad 4 and I don't remember having any problems with it. I didn't have the car long asI traded it in for my 96 Grand Prix though.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM

5 Year Member

My boss told me when he picked up the paperwork to file for the title, the lady said it will probably take longer than usual to get the title back. She said they have been taking longer than usual in Harrisburg to file the paperwork. May be looking at two months to get the title. Looks like I wont get the monte off the road before the snow flies but hopefully I will get the car before christmas time.

On the up side, today I brought the car into the shop and put it up on the lift. Damn is that thing clean. Its actually cleaner than my Monte underneath and my monte is spotless underneath. There isnt a drip of anything under the engine compartment and the only rust is on these two little plates that box together the rails and the trailing arm mounts. Even that rust is just surface rust.

Last edited by mrl390; 09-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2 months to get a title?

I just titled the Camaro and I was told I'll have the title in 10 days.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM

5 Year Member

Its different when its an abandoned or totaled vehicle. You arent just waiting for the title, they have to file the appropriate paperwork to basically remove the old title, give it a salvage certificate and then re-title it in your name as reconstructed basically.

Quick Reply: =>GM Quad 4 Engine ? Good ? Bad ? Click/Help