Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= 2013 "Turbo Chevy's" WoW (LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking = 2013 "Turbo Chevy's" WoW (LOL)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS First Drive

Tiny Turbo Hatch Gains Personality
Memeber's, would you buy one ? Do you like it for the $'s ? Post your comments If you get to test one, please buckle `up & hold on
It should `be a fun little GoKart 4 the streets ? ? ?

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Buyer's Guide
MSRP: $13,865 - $18,625
MPG Range: 35 - 35 mpg

Body Style: Hatchback, Sedan
June 21, 2012
By Erick Ayapana

Last year, the Chevrolet Sonic LTZ clawed its way through 35 Motor Trend Car of the Year contenders to qualify for a spot among 10 finalists. While it didn't take the top prize, the Sonic proved how far the Bow Tie brand has come with its small car offerings. The subcompact impressed us with its strong turbocharged engine, high-quality interior, and smooth ride. The "performance-inspired" 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS will soon join the lineup in hatchback form only. We recently headed to GM's Milford Proving Grounds to find out exactly how much performance that RS badge gives the Sonic.

The RS trim adds a long list of visual touches and mechanical upgrades over the LTZ model. The 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is untouched, which means output remains the same at 138 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque. Chevy fitted the RS' standard six-speed manual transmission with more aggressive gear ratios, and the change is noticeable. During Car of the Year testing, we felt the Sonic LTZ's gearbox zapped much of the engine's fun factor due to its super-tall gearing and vague shifter. The RS now feels quicker off the line, and there's no need to constantly downshift to find optimum power. For example, at 60 mph in sixth gear, the engine revs at much more usable 2000 rpm compared to a tad over 1800 rpm with the standard turbo Sonic. Unfortunately, clutch feel is still soft and the throws are still long and rubbery. (An optional six-speed auto carries over from the standard turbo model.)

Other performance upgrades include a slightly stiffer suspension, rear disc brakes, and a 10mm lower ride height. The 17-inch rims are visually different from the LTZ, but the rubbers are identical. As a result, the Sonic RS isn't significantly more athletic than the LTZ. The chassis does communicate more road feel, but body roll is still noticeable when aggressively attacking corners. On the upside, the RS is remarkably quiet. Sit a blindfolded passenger in the front seat and you could easily convince him he's riding in a Buick.

Speaking of the front seats, the ones in the RS look fantastic, upscale, and sporty. They're wrapped in leather with microfiber accents, which Chevy claims is a first for the segment. The seats also feature an RS badge on the seat back and RS stamping on the edge of bottom cushion. The seats could use a bit more side bolstering, but we wouldn't call them. The interior color palette is tried-and-true black with red contrast stitching used on the seats, shift ****, floor mats, and the flat-bottomed steering wheel.

Outside, the front fascia features a lower and enlarged lower air dam; an RS-specific grille; and larger, contoured foglamps instead of the round units used on lower trims. From the side, the Sonic RS gets unique side-view mirror caps and rocker moldings. The back is treated to "RS" and "Turbo" badges, a rear fascia, and a trapezoidal exhaust tip that's purely for looks. We would have liked a throatier and louder exhaust note, but the only exciting bit of powertrain noise is the faint turbo whine.

Standard MyLink, Chevy's touch-screen infotainment system, should please tech geeks. MyLink includes satellite radio and integrates the driver's smartphone, allowing Bluetooth phone calls and audio streaming, as well as access to stored pictures and movies as long as the car is parked. In the near future and for an additional cost, MyLink will allow drivers to use a smartphone-based navigation app that will work seamlessly with the touch screen (and should cause some panic among portable navigation makers).

Buyers hoping for a high-strung, highly caffeinated Sonic will likely wish for more performance. But compare the Sonic RS to other B-segment players, and the sum of its parts becomes hard to match. This will change if Ford decides to offer Americans the upcoming Fiesta ST, the Blue Oval's Nurburgring-tuned hot hatch expected to pack 178 hp, Torque Vectoring Control, and real Recaro seats. If the Fiesta ST is a home run, it could be the start of another Chevy versus Ford battle. For now, the surprisingly good Toyota Yaris SE comes close and also offers stiffer springs, rear discs, and sportier rims. The Yaris, however, doesn't offer a more aggressive gearbox or the Sonic RS' snazzy interior. If Chevy prices it right (the current 2012 Sonic LTZ carries a base price of $18,160), those two items alone make the RS a no-brainer over the LTZ model. Expect official pricing closer to the official launch later this year.

<TABLE class=insettxt border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><STYLE type=text/css>.hdr {color:#ffffff;font:bold 12px verdana,arial,helvetica;background-color:#343434;} .hdr1 {color:#000000;font:bold 09px verdana,arial,helvetica;background-color:#aba9a9;} .hdr2 {color:#000000;font:09px verdana,arial,helvetica;background-color:#dddddd;} .hdr3 {color:#000000;font:09px verdana,arial,helvetica;background-color:#FFFFFF;}</STYLE><TBODY><TR class=hdr><TD colSpan=2 align=center>2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>BASE PRICE </TD><TD>$19,500 (est) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>VEHICLE LAYOUT </TD><TD>Front-engine, FWD, 5-pass, 4-door hatchback </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>ENGINE </TD><TD>1.4L/138-hp/148-lb-ft turbo DOHC 16-valve I-4 </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>TRANSMISSION </TD><TD>6-speed manual </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>CURB WEIGHT </TD><TD>2800 lb (mfr) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>WHEELBASE </TD><TD>99.4 in </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>LENGTH X WIDTH X HEIGHT </TD><TD>159.0 x 68.3 x 59.3 in </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>0-60 MPH </TD><TD>7.8 sec (MT est) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON </TD><TD>28/39 mpg (est) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY </TD><TD>120 / 86 kW-hrs/100 miles (est) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr2><TD>CO2 EMISSIONS </TD><TD>0.59 lb/mile (est) </TD></TR><TR class=hdr3><TD>ON SALE IN U.S. </TD><TD>Winter 2012 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 06-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Default + Turbo Malibu +

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo Starts at $27,710, 2013 Malibu I-4 at $23,150

Written by: Jason Udy on June 20 2012 9:01 PM
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><STYLE> .addthis_overlay_container { z-index:9999; } .addthis_overlay_toolbox { width: 53px !important; } </STYLE>

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu will carry a base price of $23,150 including a $760 destination charge, the automaker has announced. That price describes a 2013 Malibu LS with GM’s new Ecotec four-cylinder engine. Pricing on the higher-performance variant has also been announced: a 2013 Malibu with the V-6 fighting turbo I-4 will start at $27,710.

Before considering incentives, 2013 Malibu pricing remains competitive with automatic-transmission versions of cars like the 2012 Honda Accord, 2013 Nissan Altima, and 2012 Volkswagen Passat. The 2013 Malibu LS is powered by GM’s new 197-hp 2.5-liter Ecotec I-4 mated to a six-speed automatic and has 10 airbags, four-wheel discbrakes, and 16-inch wheels.
The Malibu with the 2.5-liter I-4 is also available in 1LT, 2LT, and LTZ trim. The 2013 Malibu 1LT costs $24,765 and adds a seven-inch color touch screen, Chevrolet MyLink with Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary input, plus blue ambient lighting. Stepping up to the $26,000 2LT trim level adds dual-zone climate control and color driver information center. Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are part of the advanced safety package for 2LT, 3LT, and LTZ models.

The 2013 Malibu LTZ is the highest trim that uses the 197-hp I-4 engine, and has an MSRP of $28,590. LTZ models come with LED taillights; 18-inch alloy wheels (19-inch wheels are available); chrome, dual exhaust tips; silver grille insert; fog lamps; chrome door handles; eight-way power, heatedfrontseats; leather seating, steering wheel, and shift ****; and remote start. A rearview camera and a power sunroof are also available. A premium package on the LTZ includes passive entry/keyless access, HID headlights, push-button start, as well as a driver’s memory seat and mirrors.
Malibu Eco models, which are already on sale, are powered by GM’s 2.4-liter mated to the automaker’s eAssist mild hybrid system with start-stop technology. The Malibu Eco is EPA-rated 25/37 mpg city/highway. Two trim levels are offered for the Eco model: 1SA ($26,095) and 2SA ($27,705). Fuel efficiency numbers for the volume-oriented 2013 Malibu haven’t yet been released, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the midsizer was good for an EPA-rated 34 mpg on the highway.

Chevrolet replaced the outgoing Malibu’s V-6 with the turbocharged, 259-hp Ecotec 2.0-liter engine. The automaker claims the turbocharged Malibu can reach 60 mph in 6.3 seconds thanks to the engine’s 260 lb-ft of torque. Only two trims are available with the turbo four-cylinder engine: the LT starting at $27,710 and the LTZ starting at $30,925. The turbocharged 2013 Chevrolet Malibu goes on sale this fall.
Does the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu have what it takes to take on the also redesigned Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima as well as the Volkswagen Passat, Motor Trend’s 2012 Car of the Year? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

<STYLE type=text/css> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 25%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </STYLE><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I wasn't able to test drive it, but I did have a close look at an LTZ last weekend at the car show. For what it is (a basic economical daily commuter) it isn't too bad. The seating is comfortable, instrumentation is intuitive and visibility is good. The new RS looks like it would be a fun little car to drive.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Hi `Mike,
Thanks for your post & sharing your comments..
To me the price seems very high at close to $20K for a base RS Sonic &, cost to $28K for a base Turbo Malibu WoW

My dollars are not buying what they used to, and my Banks Money Market fund is only paying less then a half a % percent on investments...I think we still are in a recession, but the price of auto's are inflating in price/cost... Plus, the banks really have taken a big hit & it's going to be more difficult for people to get loans etc...It's not a pretty story 4-Sure..

"Lead/follow, or get outa the way" I write to my representatives...& then they delete my mail (LOL)

Last edited by Space; 06-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Not enough power needs atleast 220hp not 138

Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM

Hi `Mike,
I agree but Power Cost $'s...

I like to see it compete with cars like the VW GTI's with a turbo 2.L with only 200 HP that does 0-60 in only 6.7 sec's..
I drove one once, and they handle great, but they are around $23K +

Also the Mini Cooper's are below $20K, but the Turbo ones are expensive...

We all want more POWER LOL
Thanks for your posts/opinion