Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = RED LINE-YOUR MONTE = =

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: = = FULL THROTTLE = = ? ?

[align=center][/align][align=center]Different Statements/Comments I've read on[/align][align=center]Revving your Engine to redline : )[/align][align=center](Post your Comments)[/align][align=center]_________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Revving the engine to redline once in awhile can actually be good, because the heat can break up carbon deposits. However, the biggest issue with redline--why the redline exists, is because of valve float.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Occasionally revving your engine to the redline won't necessarily break anything if you do it once in a while. You don't want to do it frequently, or hold the RPMs at redline for any extended period of time.
It's pushing your engine closer to the point where some bad things start to happen. Valves begin to float, which means that the camshaft is spinning so fast that the valves are never able to completely close or open. You're also putting tremendous stress on all of the crank and piston bearings, connecting rods, and main bolts. If you have a weak oil pump, your engine may become starved of oil temporarily, and bearings can become scored or seize up.[/align][align=center]______________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
The higher the RPM the shorter the engines life, it's as simple as that. Reciprocating mass increases with the CUBE of the RPM. So does engine stress and wear. The parts most effected are the rod bearings, pistons and rings..[/align]_________________________________[/align][/align][b][size=4]Most manufacturers have recommendations in the handbooks.
Basically you start off treating the engine very gently i.e. gentle revs and never more than 1/4 throttle. Over time you gradually use more revs and more throttle until you eventually end up using the full range of the engine. It is important to eventually end up using all the power and rev range to wear harden various parts. It is also important that you do not keep to a single continuous speed or gear but vary your speed quite a bit during this time (a long highway journey is NOT a good break in if you just sit in top gear at a continuous speed). This is because things are still hardening up and you can wear a groove into them.

Modern engines break in relatively quickly, often 1000km, older designs took longer as the tolerances were not as precise. The first oil change is often a lot sooner than later ones as during break in rough edges from manufacturing will be worn off and end up in the oil.
Drive it gently. general rule is not to exceed 3000 - 3500 rpm. for the first 500 miles. It is also a good idea to be kind to it for the first 2000 miles.
"Breaking in" your cars engine is an old myth, it is also bull. Rule #1 if you want your engine to last a long time, treat it gentle all the time, not just for the first 1000km.
Break in is important. All engine bearings and cylinders, etc. must wear evenly and proper. Also, piston rings need to seat. Have you ever seen a new engine burn oil until it breaks in? Some piston ring take up to 5000 miles to fully seat or wear evenly to cylinder bore. Not following proper break in procedures could result in premature engine/parts failure.
Manufactures are making engines with much higher tolerances today. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousands of an inch, now its in the ten thousands. Bores are rounder and straighter. There

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM

lol... sorry but I'm not Montess or Bo..lol. Scott(TheFullMonte) thats me... and YES!!! Soon!! I am gonna make a sound clip and some kickin it vids for you to see. Been way too hot this summer here in the south to enjoy a non a/c car plus the engine heat!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Mod Mickey...
I can't see the engine in your for sale pic, but for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM

Once in a while I will get in to it........
Most of the time I will get it to 25 mph and then let curise control take over......

Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 AM

ORIGINAL: TheFullMonte

lol... sorry but I'm not Montess or Bo..lol. Scott(TheFullMonte) thats me... and YES!!! Soon!! I am gonna make a sound clip and some kickin it vids for you to see. Been way too hot this summer here in the south to enjoy a non a/c car plus the engine heat!
Hi `Scott (The FullMonte), please 4-give my conFuzion I took
my SpaceBrain in for Service & got a reCharge
I do get ConFuzed a lot : )
You & Bo both have SuperSuper Monte's.
We will look forward to your kick'in vid : )
EnJoy your posts/Monte...Look forward to your future posts.
Peace, `Space

Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I tend to treat my cars with respect. Not that I haven't hammered it when need be.

Last night was the very first time I've ever hammered on my '06 Monte. I wanted to show my friend from TN what an '06 Monte with 3.9 V6 was like. I turned off the T/C and laid in to the pedal. It did a nice burn out.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

SPACE!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU CHANGE THE NAME OF ONE OF YOUR FORUM POSTS ONE MORE TIMEIM COMING TO FLORIDA TO KICK YOUR @$$

gather the ufo's together and be ready for a superior blue monte being driven by a honked off cowboy....

sorry for my outburst, but please stop changing the names of these things once they are 2-3 pages long, you're getting confusing...

Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I think I hear the sound of a cavalry bugler playing the cavalry battle call.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 AM

[align=center]Moderator `CowBoy ~ LOL ~ LOL ~ , [/align][align=center]You must dream a lot[/align][align=center]....Still Raining ? Is it still Wet ?[/align][align=center]COWBOY: "As soon as I can get out of my Monte, I'm gona Kick your AZZ"[/align][align=center]Top Candiate for Road Rage[][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][/align][align=center]Just try to keep up with this fast changing World, oh, and the MCF : )[/align][align=center]~ Peace ~[/align][align=center]LOL ~ LOL, thanks for the laughs[/align][align=center]______________________________________[/align][align=center]This post will be placed in the Post a Joke Section of the Forum : )[/align][align=center]Giddy `upGiddy `up[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Life is always changing, [:-]She changes every second[/align][align=center]of everyday [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=Flahssssss.gif][/align][align=center]"Life is, in constant change"[/align][align=center]`amen[/align]

Old 09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

lol, those last few posts have been a good laugh lol

personally i've never let my car get up to its top speed, i've had fun and got it up above 100mph, but i usually cruise the highways about 80ish

Quick Reply: = = RED LINE-YOUR MONTE = =