Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Driven: 2013 Subaru BRZ + more AutoDreams = =

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
The Subie is a pretty nice car wouldnt mind driving one, & i love the Lambo its one amazing car & Brent Nissan has the most powerful V6 production engine in the GTR
Sorry. I meant most powerful naturally aspirated v6 in production...

Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Update

2013 Scion FR-S Is Most Expensive Scion
Media Player

• 2013 Scion FR-S Picture
    The 2013 Scion FR-S starts at $24,930, including a $730 destination charge. | March 22, 2012| Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

1 Photo | See more photos in this gallery »<BUTTON id=yui-gen7 disabled name="Previous Page">Previous Page</BUTTON><BUTTON id=yui-gen8 disabled name="Next Page">Next Page</BUTTON>

News
2013 Scion FR-S Is Most Expensive Scion

By <A id=disclaimer_popup href="http://www.insideline.com/staff/email-disclaimer.html">Anita Lienert, Correspondent | Published Mar 22, 2012

Just the Facts:
  • The base 2013 Scion FR-S with a six-speed manual transmission starts at $24,930, making it the most expensive Scion in the lineup, but still squeaking under the $25,000 mark.
  • The uplevel FR-S with a six-speed automatic transmission starts at $26,030.
  • The base 2013 Scion FR-S is $195 cheaper than the base 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but $1,935 more expensive than the base 2013 Ford Mustang V6.

TORRANCE, California — The base 2013 Scion FR-S with a six-speed manual transmission starts at $24,930, making it the most expensive Scion in the lineup, but still squeaking under the $25,000 mark. The price includes a $730 destination charge.
The uplevel FR-S with a six-speed automatic transmission starts at $26,030. It goes on sale this spring.
The base 2013 Scion FR-S is $195 cheaper than the base 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but $1,935 more expensive than the base 2013 Ford Mustang V6. The 2012 Hyundai Genesis

Coupe 2.0T starts at $25,125, including an $875 destination charge. The base 2013 Ford Mustang V6 starts at $22,995, including a $795 destination charge.
The Subaru BRZ, the other so-called "Toyobaru twin," since the cars were jointly developed between Toyota and Subaru, has not been priced. But it is expected to start in the same ballpark as the FR-S.
The Scion FR-S is $4,625 more expensive than the 2012 Scion tC, which starts at $20,305, including shipping. The 2012 Scion xB starts at $17,760, while the 2012 Scion xD starts at $16,805. The 2012 Scion iQ is the least expensive car in the Scion lineup with a starting price of $16,725.
The rear-wheel-drive Scion FR-S is equipped with a 200-horsepower 2.0-liter flat-4 engine. Standard equipment includes 17-inch alloy wheels, FR-S badged floor mats, an eight speaker AM/FM/CD/USB 300-watt Pioneer audio system, HD Radio technology and Bluetooth. It also gets six standard airbags.
"Scion's goal was to create an affordable sports car that true driving enthusiasts could enjoy," said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president, in a statement. "We accomplished that goal with the FR-S starting under $25,000."
Inside Line says: Toyota earlier hinted that the FR-S would come in under $30K and it more than held to its word.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Grad Dreams: 2013 Scion FR-S

Written by Matthew C. Keegan // 03/26/2012

<!--details-->

Sexy sports car is decked out in Scion attire.
Toyota’s Scion subbrand has college students and grads like you in mind as you shop for your first new car. Scion was created to appeal to niche first-time car buyers, 20-something people who are at the start of their careers and not necessarily in a position to drive a Bimmer unless, of course, that first job happens to be on Wall Street.
Dream Car Arrives

Scion has enjoyed varying degrees of success with young buyers, but it has lacked the one model that is designed to captivate drivers both by its looks and its drive.
That all changes this spring when Toyota delivers the first FR-S models, a 2+2 sports car based on the Toyota 86 (eight-six) and also sold here as the Subaru BRZ. The FR-S is the product of a union between Toyota and Subaru, one forged in 2005 when Toyota bought a slice of Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru’s parent.
Owning 16.5 percent of its one-time competitor allows Toyota to exploit the synergies of this relationship, outfitting the Scion with a 2.0-liter BOXER engine while also serving up its own technology with direct and port injection supplied by Toyota. This combination will help the FR-S make 200 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 151 foot-pounds of torque at 6,600 rpm. Speed times haven’t been determined yet, but the 0-60 MPH website has posted the new Scion’s 0-60 MPH time at 5.9 seconds.
Naming Convention

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=330 bgColor=#ffffff align=right><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=320 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff width=320 align=center><CENTER>
2013 Scion FR-S

</CENTER>
  • Arrives Spring 2012
  • Priced from $24,200
  • Standard BOXER engine with direct injection
  • Twin to the Subaru BRZ
  • 2+2 seating
  • One of five Scion models now available
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Where did the FR-S name come from? That’s simple — Front engine, Rear-drive, Sport is how Scion explains the name, making more sense than the current Scion models that include the tC, xB, xD and the recently introduced iQ. That iQ, by the way, is the world’s smallest four-seater and priced from $15,995 or $9,000 under the starting price of the Scion sports car. With five models in its line up, Scion believes that it has a broad swath of the first-time car buying market in mind, perhaps convincing a few Wall Street-bound grads that the FR-S is a worthy alternative to the BMW 3-Series.
Exterior and Interior

With all of the back story information shared, what will drivers get with the FR-S? On the outside, you’ll see a whole lot of attitude and for people familiar with the Toyota 2000GT, you’ll get a profile that takes its styling cues from that limited production model built from 1967 to 1970. More recent models that favor the FR-S are the Toyota Celica and the Toyota Supra, sport coupes that were last sold stateside in 2002 and 2005 respectively. The new car’s hood line is sleek and low, featuring a menacing face with its wide mouth, angular headlamps and aggressive front fenders that point up. From the rear, aerodynamic touches surround the performance dual exhaust system with LED tail lights offering a striking contrast.

Inside, the FR-S features a 2+2 seating configuration with a rear seat that folds flat. Sure, you can hold two people back there in a pinch, but you may find that the expanded storage capacity suits you and your best friend just fine.
The front sport bucket seats offer ample bolstering and are mounted very low. A large tachometer dominates the three-gauge instrument cluster reports Auto Trends, with digital and analog read outs offered. A programmable shift selector, FR-S badged floor mats and a leather-trimmed steering wheel with tilt and telescopic capabilities is standard.
You’ll also enjoy a premium sound system with the Scion FR-S, a 300-watt Pioneer unit that coms with eight speakers and offers HD Radio technology. Bluetooth connectivity is standard as is streaming audio capability.
Safety and Warranties

Your safety is important to Scion and every FR-S comes equipped with six airbags, traction control, stability control, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist and four-wheel anti-lock brakes. A 3-year/36,000-mile bumper to bumper warranty is standard and every Scion now offers free maintenance for the first two years of ownership or 25,000 miles driven, whichever comes first. Not bad especially if you’re making your first car payments to go with student loan payments. A powertrain warranty, corrosion coverage and a roadside assistance plan are also offered.
Will you spring for a Scion FR-S or any new car for that matter? If

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I was just about to post about the Scion Space

The subie will probably be around $27, 28k since it will be an "upgraded" version of the Scion.

The Scion at $24k is such a great deal though!!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Hi Mike, the more I read about them The more I like what they are offering 4-Sure...I really hope I get the chance to drive one when they arrive at the dealership...

I think they have a winner `if a person is in2 a fun handling RWD ride + decent performance/MPG's/Braking. I also like that it has tele/tilt steering...

I also want to drive the V6 Mustang stick to compare them.
So much 2 look 4ward to in the automotive market...Now, it just take $'s We sure do have a lot of choices 4-Sure...
I'm EXCITED....Ok, back 2 my dreams

Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM

15 Year Member

Here's all the comparison I need for the FRS and the Mustang.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM

WoW `Mike, that's a great comparsion between the sizes...
The Mustang looks like a giant 4-Sure...I thought I had seen that pic, but couldn't find it....

Thanks for posting....4-Sure I think they are going to sell & be a new fun ride....You also have some super roads in your state that would be awesome to drive 4-Real...
I want one 4 a daily driver & a 4th Gen with a Monster V8 in my dream garage 4 special trips...(That would be the best of both worlds to me) + the BeachBumVan 4 the beach & surf boards "2 dare 2 dream in `SpaceVision" Time now 4 me to go dream

Last edited by Space; 03-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM

I've thought for a while now that the mustang is a little corpulent. Nice to see that the Miata will have some competition from Toyota/Subaru/Scion in the new AE86/BRZ/FRS.

I'd love to get a test drive on one of these, but with such low production numbers for the first year that seems unlikely.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by saigashooter
but with such low production numbers for the first year that seems unlikely.
With such low production numbers, I actually see dealers trying to mark them up too much, which will sway buyers, which should allow us to be able to test drive

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Here's all the comparison I need for the FRS and the Mustang.

Really awesome pic!

Size itself does not slow a car down or hurt handling. Weight does. And where weight is located. However, increased wheelbase, both length and width improve handling (assuming this doesn't comprimise weight)...

Quick Reply: = = Driven: 2013 Subaru BRZ + more AutoDreams = =