Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Corvette = =

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile = = Corvette = =

2013 Corvette ZR1 to Pace Indy 500,
Record 11th Time for Corvette

Written by: Jason on May 8 2012 10:34 AM
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><STYLE> .addthis_overlay_container { z-index:9999; } .addthis_overlay_toolbox { width: 53px !important; } </STYLE>

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will pace the 96th running of the Indianapolis 500 later this month, making it the 11th time a Corvette and 23rd time a Chevrolet have paced the Greatest Spectacle in Racing — Indy records for a nameplate and an automaker. The 638-hp ZR1 will also be the most powerfulcar to pace the Indy 500. The 2013 model year also marks the 60th anniversary for the storied Corvette nameplate, making the Indy tie-in even more eventful.

Corvette embodies pure performance, so the ZR1 is a perfect car to pace the most prestigious auto race in the world,” said Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation president and chief executive officer, in a release.
“I can’t think of a better way to mark the 60th Anniversary of Corvette than having it lead the starting field of the Indianapolis 500,” said Jim Campbell, GM vice president of PerformanceVehicles and Motorsports, in a release.
The Corvette Pace Car will closely resemble the Corvette’s 60th Anniversary Package, wearing the same Arctic White paint and optional full-length Pearl Silver Blue racing stripes. Special Pace Car graphics are also available. The interior gets wrapped in Blue Diamond leather with suede accents. Convertiblemodels get a blue soft-top and can be had with a tonal stripe stitched in the top. Gray brake calipers as well as 60th Anniversary interior and exterior badging round out the package.
The first Chevrolet to pace the Indianapolis 500 was the 1948 Fleetmaster Six, but it wasn’t until 1978 that the Corvette would finally get its first turn to lead the starting field. Next year also marks the last year of the C6 Corvette, which will be replaced by the all-new seventh-generation model in 2014. Chevrolet hasn’t announced who will drive the pace car, but will do so ahead of the 96th Indianapolis 500, which starts at noon eastern time on Sunday, May 27.
Source: Chevrolet

<STYLE type=text/css> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 50%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </STYLE><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php -->
<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon>

</DT></DL>
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- SIM Ad Control adscript end -->
<!-- .entry-content-->Categories:Chevrolet, Convertibles, Coupes, Events, Misc. Auto Shows, Motorsports, News, Sports

Related Rumors Posts
Is anyone going to the Indy 500 this year ?
Member's, what is your favorite Corvette ?
Post & Share.
Pictures are always Welcomed

Last edited by Space; 05-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Spied: 2014 Chevrolet C7 Corvette

11 Photos View full gallery<!-- To implement the Main image and other right side item-->

You may think that southeast Michigan, home to General Motors’ proving ground in Milford, gets plenty cold enough in winter. Yet for true cold-weather testing, GM engineers subjected the next-generation C7 Corvette to the extreme chill of northern Canada. That gave our spy photographers a chance to snap photos of this prototype version of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette as it is readied for production.
It’s no secret that the C7 will be a 2014 model launching in fall 2013 -- Chevrolet recently launched special-edition anniversary packages and a 427 convertible model for the 2013 Corvette to serve as a sort of swan song for the C6-generation car. In addition, GM last spring announced $131 million of upgrades to its plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, to prepare for assembly of the new Corvette. Almost every other detail on the new car, however, has so far been shrouded in rumor and obfuscation.

Two things are certain with the C7 Corvette. For one, it won’t resurrect the split rear window design cue of the 1963 Corvette, as had been suggested by earlier concept cars and rumor mongering. The mule spotted here continues to use one solid rear window that slopes sharply into the decklid.
Second, even though the promise of a mid-engine layout is the most enduring Corvette myth of all time, it seems clear that Chevrolet will stick to a front-engine design for the C7. Multiple executives have denied that the Corvette would reposition its engine, and the proportions of this mule suggest the engine will indeed stay under the car’s long hood.
Familiar Coupe Body
Our spy pictures reveal that the C7 Corvette won’t look drastically different from the current model. As on the current car, the new Corvette will feature a wide rectangular grille opening, a long and low hood, center-mounted quad exhaust tips, and generous rear haunches able to fit wide on the drive axle. A traditional coupe will likely go on sale first, probably joined by a convertible at a later date.
It is clear that the new Corvette is slightly longer, in part because the wheelbase seems stretched a few inches. That move would probably improve the car’s ride-and-handling mix; recall that the new, 991-generation Porsche 911 also received a longer wheelbase, in order to improve comfort and high-speed stability. In the Corvette, increasing the wheelbase might also marginally improve interior and trunk room.
Reports suggest the Corvette may use an aluminum spaceframe, with the body composed of a mix of carbon fiber and fiberglass. That would be expensive, but it would cut weight -- possibly below 3000 pounds in some models. Like all automakers, GM will try to cut weight from newcars, in part because that improves fuel economy, and also because trimming mass will improve the Corvette’s dynamic performance.

Two Powertrain Options?
The Corvette will certainly retain its signature V-8 engine, though it remains uncertain as to whether a V-6 engine also will join the roster. The V-8 mill will be an evolution of GM’s small block design, with the fifth generation of the V-8 family adopting direct fuel injection for the first time. GM has already promised that the fifth-gen small block engines will produce more power and torque, while using less fuel than current engines; the company has invested about $1 billion in preparation for building the new V-8s.
The new Corvette V-8 will almost certainly continue to use pushrods, and may feature some sort of cylinder deactivation. There are indications it will be downsized to as little as 5.5 liters, compared to the 6.2-liter LS3 in the current base Corvette. Those moves would further cut fuel consumption, while retaining the car’s signature torquey nature and eight-cylinder heritage.
Although many executives have denied it, there are hints that the C7 Corvette will also receive a single- or twin-turbocharged V-6 engine. That might strike the Chevrolet faithful as heresy, but doing so would help bump the Corvette’s economy ratings so that GM could better meet stricter CAFE and emissions regulations. If such an engine is offered, it could be a version of GM’s popular 3.6-liter direct-injected V-6. But don’t place bets on a Corvette V-6 just yet -- such a model would be a hard sell to Corvette purists. Perhaps this engine will have to wait for the C8.
As to transmission choices, we’re told the Corvette will score a new seven-speed manual transmission, again keeping up with the 2012 Porsche 911, which offers a new seven-speed stick. Despite rumors of an optional dual-clutch automated transmission, it seems more likely Chevrolet will stick with a regular automatic for the clutch pedal averse. GM is currently developing its next generation of full-sizetrucks, so it’s possible that automatic transmissions could be shared between the pickups and the Corvette. Expect seven or eight forward speeds, up from six in current Corvette automatics.
Few Chassis Changes
Few details on the C7’s suspension setup have leaked so far, leading us to believe there are no drastic changes. Chevrolet will probably endeavor to make the new Corvette somewhat easier for novices to drive quickly, while retaining the car’s world-class grip and overall driving dynamics. Reduced overall weight and the aforementioned wheelbase stretch should help with this.
In the face of increasing oil prices and tightening government regulations, it’s no secret that Chevrolet must make the C7 Corvette even more fuelefficient. At the same time, executives have made clear that they don’t want the car to neglect the huge levels of performance and fun on which the Corvette has built its name. When the 2014 Corvette goes on sale in fall 2013, we firmly believe it will continue to be one of the best -- or perhaps the best -- best American-made sports cars available.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Member's,
What is your favorite Year Corvette ?

^ No, we wanta keep it...We like it...We just borrowed it 2 share ^
Is this the 2014 Corvette?

The people over at Jalopnik swear by it. According to them and their GM insiders, these renderings are exactly what the next-generation, 2014 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) will look like. It must be noted that the trim level shown is the ZR1 package.

It’s definitely one mean-looking machine, and having witnessed multiple generations of Corvettes get better and better, the C7 should not disappoint. It seems that the rumored rear split-window won’t make it into production, and I must add that I’m not the biggest fan of the Camaro-style rear lights. I always loved the fact that Corvettes had those rounded rear lights which could be spotted from a mile away.

And for all the doubters out there: what’s the credibility of these renderings? Someone is apparently going to get fired over this (see image above). Believe it now?
[Source: Jalopnik]

Last edited by Space; 05-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will be Indy 500 pace car

<!--This is where the subscribe if date entered in slug was -->
The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will be the pace car for the 2012 Indianapolis 500.

By: Dale Jewett on 5/08/2012

Related Articles

The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 will be the pace car for this year's Indianapolis 500--a fitting victory lap as the current sixth-generation Corvette heads for the end of its production run and the end of this version of the ZR1.
The Indy pace-car Corvette will wear the 60th-anniversary trim package--an arctic white exterior with silver stripes down the center of the car and a blue interior with suede leather coverings on the steering wheel, center console and in the seats. Changes for the pace car include only the addition of a light bar on the roof, some racing-safety equipment and race logos.
Chevy says it will not produce pace-car replicas for public sale.

An overhead view of the 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Indy pace car.

The Corvette ZR1's supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is rated at 638 hp. Use of carbon fiber in the front fenders, hood, floor pan and rocker panels helps keep curb weight at a low 3,353 pounds. This translates to 5.2 pounds per horsepower.
The 2012 race will mark the 11th time that a Corvette has been used as the Indy 500 pace car. The first time a Corvette paced the race was the 1978 model, which marked the car's 25th anniversary.
A celebrity driver for the pace car will be named later; that person is expected to be chef Guy Fieri.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

My favorite year 'vette is the '63 Stingray w/Z06 option.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks `Mike for your post/picture of your favorite Corvette...I love that generation, but I'd choose a 67 like the below

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=700><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
Vehicle: 1967 Corvette Sting Ray Coupe;
Color: Triple Tuxedo Black
Engine: 427ci 390 H.P.
Transmission: 4 speed manual

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
Notes: This automobile is a frame off restoration with approximately 5,000 miles, after restoration. The 390 H.P. engine runs perfectly on 92-octane fuel, with no additives. The Triple Tuxedo Black color speaks for itself. This automobile not only turns heads, but literally stops traffic. It is equipped with side exhaust, which produce an outstanding rumble, for you the driver, and the gaucking public. The 1967 year model was the last of the mid-year Corvettes. The 1967 and the 1963 are considered to be the two most collectable years for the mid-year vintage Vettes. This automobile has matching numbers, is an excellent driver and shows just as well.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I like the '67 also but the '63 has a lot of options that make it desirable to me. It was the first year for the Z06 option and hideaway head lights plus the only year the split window was offered.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks `Mike,
I like the Spilt Window & I was hoping that GM would incorporate the Spilt Window again on a future Corvette.

The 63 Split Windows are Expensive 4-Sure
1963 Split-Window Corvette Coupe
An excellent condition 1963 Split-Window Corvette coupe will cost you anywhere from $40000 to $185000 , with the price varying mostly on engine selection.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM

I'm not a huge Corvette fan, but I do have my likes and favorites. I also have yet to drive one which I am disappointed about because I had a promise of a drive that never happened. I like the 63-67 Corvette with the 63 Split Window being my favorite. I also like the 68-81 with the Chrome bumper cars being my favorite as well as the 78 Pace Car edition.

A former friend of mine has a 78 Corvette Indy Pace Car with a four speed in it. He had ordered an entire interior kit for it from Ecklers here in Florida. I completely restored the interior of his Corvette. When I had the interior completely gutted including the dash I stepped back and looked at the car and had one of those sick feelings in the pit of my stomach as I pondered what I had just done. It took a few weeks of all of my spare time to get the car completed. My friend had told me when I got the car back together he would allow me to drive it once. After the car was together I reminded him of his promise a few times to no avail. When my wife and I divorced he and his wife were a few of my friends that picked sides and aligned with my wife.

This was another of life's lessons that I share my time and expertise and resources too willingly. I got a reminder of that a month or two ago again. At least the Corvette came out really nice and when I see it at a show I have pride in knowing that I did it.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM

I have to say I've never really been a Corvette fan just something aobut them I don't care for. I'll take a Camaro or a Viper over a Corvette.

Quick Reply: = = Corvette = =