Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = = 2-Wheelers = = =

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile = = = 2-Wheelers = = =

2-Wheelers: Member's, Which one to you like/want ? ? ?

Notable newbies from the 2012 International Motorcycle Show in New York City.

By Chuck Tannert Mon 10:12 AM

2-Wheelers

The 2012 Progressive International Motorcycle Show rolled into New York City last week, bringing with it some stunning new bikes, classic works of art and slick custom hardware. In fact, 500 or so of the latest model street bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers and ATVs from dozens of manufacturers -- including Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Indian, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki and more -- were on display. We had a chance to roam the halls of the Javits Center to look at these stunning 2-wheelers. Here are our picks for the most enticing: <!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

Honda NC700
Is it a spirited adventure bike, a comfortable tourer or a convenient, reliable commuter? According to Honda, the NC700 is a little of each -- as well as simple, functional and inexpensive. Powered by a new 670-cc parallel twin engine with electronic fuel injection, the NC700 is aimed at those riders more interested in usability than strict horsepower one-upmanship. With a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the bike will have a range of up to 240 miles and get more than 60 mpg. Unlike most bikes, the gas tank isn’t positioned in front of the rider. Instead, it is concealed beneath the rider and accessed by flipping up the passenger seat. Where the gas tank normally resides is a flip-top storage compartment with 21 liters of space, enough for a helmet. The bike’s upright seating position should make for good visibility. Touring-friendly accessories include a 45-liter top case and 29-liter saddlebags. Also available are crash guards, LED fog lights, heated grips, 12-volt DC socket and center stand.

Price: $6,999 for the standard 6-speed transmission; $7,999 with dual-clutch transmission version with anti-lock braking system.

BMW S1000RR
BMW totally revised the S1000RR for 2012 with an emphasis on improving response, power delivery and handling. The S1000RR is still powered by a 999-cc, water-cooled inline-four engine that pumps out 193 horsepower and 83 lb-ft of torque. Enhancements include a reconfigured throttle for crisper response and an optimized torque curve throughout the four ride modes: Rain, Sport, Race and Slick. In addition, the suspension was tweaked along with the ABS and Dynamic Traction Control. Externally, the 2012 SS1000RR gets an upgraded instrument cluster, revised rear end, redesigned side panels with the addition of two winglets for improved aerodynamics, and a new range of colors.

Price: $15,050.

Husqvarna Baja Concept
Husqvarna is a legendary name in off-road circles, but its new concept bike isn't just about dirt; it's about having a blast getting there. The classic dirt-track styling is accented with a number of forward-thinking and modern touches. The headlight is a spray of LEDs across the front number plate, and although it looks more decorative than functional, it produces plenty of light. An ingenious multifunction instrument display is tightly integrated into the handlebars, providing at a glance all the most important information. All in all, the Husqvarna Baja looks like a great bike to have in the stable, and we hope it makes its way into production. It is equipped with parent company BMW’s 650-cc single-cylinder engine and a steel-tube perimeter frame. For a dual-sport, it has a relatively low seat height and friendly looks.

Price: TBD

2012 Can-Am Roadster Spyder RSS
Changes to this unique 3-wheeler are minimal at best, leaning more toward aesthetics and rider amenities than performance. For 2012, there are two “S” models to choose from: the Can-Am Spyder RS and the Can-Am Spyder RT Roadster. The 2012 RS is the sportier package, aimed more at the solo rider, with a slightly more aggressive riding position and less body work, while the RT is a full-on luxury tourer. Add-ons include an improved sound system with iPod compatibility, AM/FM and (optional) satellite radio; handlebar-mounted push-button controls; adjustable rear air suspension; GPS navigation; and LED lighting. The RS-S model also gets the new LCD display as well as new gas-charged Fox Racing Shox front suspension with adjustable pre-load.

Price: $18,099.

Steve McQueen Edition Triumph Bonneville
Who doesn’t like the classic World War II epic “The Great Escape”? You have Charles Bronson, James Coburn, James Garner and, especially for bikers, Steve McQueen. This motorcycle is a tribute to the Trophy TR6 that McQueen rode in the film. It is a throwback, featuring blacked-out wheels, hubs, handlebars and other parts, along with a cool Wehrmacht-style matte-green paint scheme, a solo seat and a military-style stenciled Triumph logo. To confirm the bike’s provenance, each will be individually numbered with a plaque placed on the handlebar clamp. Collectors will love it. A limited run of just 1,100 is planned, about 300 to 400 of which will be available stateside.

Price: $11,299

Zero S Streetfighter
Zero Motorcycles has completely overhauled every model in its 2012 lineup. The aggressive-looking Zero S models (XF6 and XF9) were developed to take on urban streets while still being able to take occasional adventurous detours. Improvements include new powertrains and upgraded power packs that promise greater longevity, speeds of up to 88 mph and a significantly improved range -- in excess of 100 miles for the XF9. Recharging time for the XF6 is quoted at six hours using a standard outlet, while the XF9 takes nine hours. Quick-charge options can cut recharge times by up to 75 percent.

Price: ZF6, $11,495; XF9, $13,995.

Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Ducati’s new 1199 Panigale S is a race-tuned version of the Italian bike builder’s Panigale series. In addition to shedding 22 pounds from the outgoing 1198, the new Panigale cranks out 20 more horsepower. The Superquadro twin-cylinder engine generates 195 horsepower and 98 lb-ft of torque -- enough power to set anyone’s hair on fire. Traction control is standard equipment, though anti-lock brakes are a stand-alone option. The 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale is also the first superbike to feature an electronically adjustable suspension.

Price: The package will set you back $17,995 for the base model, while S trim nudges the price to $22,995. The top-of-the-line S Tricolore will fetch a heart-stopping $27,995.

<LI style="DISPLAY: none">

The 2012 Progressive International Motorcycle Show rolled into New York City last week, bringing with it some stunning new bikes, classic works of art and slick custom hardware. In fact, 500 or so of the latest model street bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers and ATVs from dozens of manufacturers -- including Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Indian, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki and more -- were on display. We had a chance to roam the halls of the Javits Center to look at these stunning 2-wheelers. Here are our picks for the most enticing: <!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

Honda NC700
Is it a spirited adventure bike, a comfortable tourer or a convenient, reliable commuter? According to Honda, the NC700 is a little of each -- as well as simple, functional and inexpensive. Powered by a new 670-cc parallel twin engine with electronic fuel injection, the NC700 is aimed at those riders more interested in usability than strict horsepower one-upmanship. With a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the bike will have a range of up to 240 miles and get more than 60 mpg. Unlike most bikes, the gas tank isn’t positioned in front of the rider. Instead, it is concealed beneath the rider and accessed by flipping up the passenger seat. Where the gas tank normally resides is a flip-top storage compartment with 21 liters of space, enough for a helmet. The bike’s upright seating position should make for good visibility. Touring-friendly accessories include a 45-liter top case and 29-liter saddlebags. Also available are crash guards, LED fog lights, heated grips, 12-volt DC socket and center stand.

Price: $6,999 for the standard 6-speed transmission; $7,999 with dual-clutch transmission version with anti-lock braking system.

BMW S1000RR
BMW totally revised the S1000RR for 2012 with an emphasis on improving response, power delivery and handling. The S1000RR is still powered by a 999-cc, water-cooled inline-four engine that pumps out 193 horsepower and 83 lb-ft of torque. Enhancements include a reconfigured throttle for crisper response and an optimized torque curve throughout the four ride modes: Rain, Sport, Race and Slick. In addition, the suspension was tweaked along with the ABS and Dynamic Traction Control. Externally, the 2012 SS1000RR gets an upgraded instrument cluster, revised rear end, redesigned side panels with the addition of two winglets for improved aerodynamics, and a new range of colors.

Price: $15,050.

Husqvarna Baja Concept
Husqvarna is a legendary name in off-road circles, but its new concept bike isn't just about dirt; it's about having a blast getting there. The classic dirt-track styling is accented with a number of forward-thinking and modern touches. The headlight is a spray of LEDs across the front number plate, and although it looks more decorative than functional, it produces plenty of light. An ingenious multifunction instrument display is tightly integrated into the handlebars, providing at a glance all the most important information. All in all, the Husqvarna Baja looks like a great bike to have in the stable, and we hope it makes its way into production. It is equipped with parent company BMW’s 650-cc single-cylinder engine and a steel-tube perimeter frame. For a dual-sport, it has a relatively low seat height and friendly looks.

Price: TBD

2012 Can-Am Roadster Spyder RSS
Changes to this unique 3-wheeler are minimal at best, leaning more toward aesthetics and rider amenities than performance. For 2012, there are two “S” models to choose from: the Can-Am Spyder RS and the Can-Am Spyder RT Roadster. The 2012 RS is the sportier package, aimed more at the solo rider, with a slightly more aggressive riding position and less body work, while the RT is a full-on luxury tourer. Add-ons include an improved sound system with iPod compatibility, AM/FM and (optional) satellite radio; handlebar-mounted push-button controls; adjustable rear air suspension; GPS navigation; and LED lighting. The RS-S model also gets the new LCD display as well as new gas-charged Fox Racing Shox front suspension with adjustable pre-load.

Price: $18,099.

Steve McQueen Edition Triumph Bonneville
Who doesn’t like the classic World War II epic “The Great Escape”? You have Charles Bronson, James Coburn, James Garner and, especially for bikers, Steve McQueen. This motorcycle is a tribute to the Trophy TR6 that McQueen rode in the film. It is a throwback, featuring blacked-out wheels, hubs, handlebars and other parts, along with a cool Wehrmacht-style matte-green paint scheme, a solo seat and a military-style stenciled Triumph logo. To confirm the bike’s provenance, each will be individually numbered with a plaque placed on the handlebar clamp. Collectors will love it. A limited run of just 1,100 is planned, about 300 to 400 of which will be available stateside.

Price: $11,299

Zero S Streetfighter
Zero Motorcycles has completely overhauled every model in its 2012 lineup. The aggressive-looking Zero S models (XF6 and XF9) were developed to take on urban streets while still being able to take occasional adventurous detours. Improvements include new powertrains and upgraded power packs that promise greater longevity, speeds of up to 88 mph and a significantly improved range -- in excess of 100 miles for the XF9. Recharging time for the XF6 is quoted at six hours using a standard outlet, while the XF9 takes nine hours. Quick-charge options can cut recharge times by up to 75 percent.

Price: ZF6, $11,495; XF9, $13,995.

Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Ducati’s new 1199 Panigale S is a race-tuned version of the Italian bike builder’s Panigale series. In addition to shedding 22 pounds from the outgoing 1198, the new Panigale cranks out 20 more horsepower. The Superquadro twin-cylinder engine generates 195 horsepower and 98 lb-ft of torque -- enough power to set anyone’s hair on fire. Traction control is standard equipment, though anti-lock brakes are a stand-alone option. The 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale is also the first superbike to feature an electronically adjustable suspension.

Price: The package will set you back $17,995 for the base model, while S trim nudges the price to $22,995. The top-of-the-line S Tricolore will fetch a heart-stopping $27,995.

Last edited by Space; 01-28-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM

I like that McQueen bike, but then I'm a fan of the movie too.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

The Ducati! Amost got a Ducati 848 over my Ninja but it was double the price for twice as many miles so.. lol but yeah Ducati makes some nice sport bikes in my opinion

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the triumph and can am roadster. Got to look at a can am bike at a local dealer, those things are neat. Dealer sold them as fast as he got them. I'm not a fan of sport bikes really, prefer a cruiser.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
The Ducati! Amost got a Ducati 848 over my Ninja but it was double the price for twice as many miles so.. lol but yeah Ducati makes some nice sport bikes in my opinion

Hi `Justin,
Post some pic's of your Ninja & tell us about it...Is your insurance high on your bike ?

All the bike above are expensive to me...I do like the Honda, but I'm be happy with a off road trail sport 125 or 150 cc bike

Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Space where are the 2 wheelers you gotta pedal?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Space where are the 2 wheelers you gotta pedal?

Hi `Zach, with all the research you've done on bicycle's, I thought that you could make a thread with the best bicycle for the $'s....Look forward to seeing your thread 4-Sure
I think I'll get one like below with 3 wheels
It looks like it's from outer `Space ~>

Thanks Member's for all your posts/contributions...
Look 4ward to seeing `Zach's Bicycle Thread, and maybe
a skateboard & surfboard thread 2

Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i would be bias now that i just got a new bike. i did make a thread about it tho.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM

LOL `Zach, I thought about you when I entered the title to this thread & I thought that you would check it `out & discovered it was Bikes with an Engine I know that you made a thread about your awesome bike, but you did not give us all the other bikes that us poor people can afford LOL

I need a new bike, but I need one for the sand...I also need new wheels for my skateboard.... I need, I need so I better finish my work 2 get some $'s OK, back to motorcyle's
Thanks 4 your words 4-Sure

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space

Hi `Justin,
Post some pic's of your Ninja & tell us about it...Is your insurance high on your bike ?

All the bike above are expensive to me...I do like the Honda, but I'm be happy with a off road trail sport 125 or 150 cc bike
These are the original craigslist pics from when I bought it.

In progress...

So far I've only done a few visual mods. Already came with a nice exhaust system, and a few other small things.

I really like it. It's really fun to ride and goes fast enough for me. The insurance would be super expensive if it were in my name. Parents help me out with the insurance, otherwise it would be through the roof I'm sure.

I'm a fan of just about any kind of motorcycle. Doesn't need to be a sport bike to look cool to me. Hoping I can sell this one and get a cruiser later on. Thinking I'll keep it around for a few more summers though I'd love to have a trail/street legal bike like the red one you posted. It would be fun to have something that's dual purpose