Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* You've Got a Big Head *

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking * You've Got a Big Head *

Hi Member's,
I'm just doing my part to add activity to the MCF & fill your head with additional information

Interesting/Informative article below (?)
Maybe it's because of our increased access to multi-media etc., that we are all filling in the empty spaces in our head & it's expanding ? What do you think ?

You never know what you will read & see on the MCF..
Please fill in some `space & post your thoughts ?

Sci-News.com
  1. Americans' skulls getting bigger over time<CITE>UPI.com</CITE>‎ - 15 hours ago

American heads are getting larger although it's unclear why that is happening, forensic anthropologists at the University of Tennessee, ...

1. <CITE>medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bighead</CITE>Cached - Similar
  2. ovine bighead. a form of malignant edema due to Clostridium novyi in rams, usually the result of fighting. Called also swelled head. yellow bighead. a syndrome ...

3. big head - definition of big head by the Free Online Dictionary ...

<CITE>www.thefreedictionary.com/big+head</CITE>Cached - Similar

1. Informal Conceit; egotism. 2. also big·head (b g h d ) Any of various diseases of animals, especially rams, characterized by swelling of the head, face, or neck.

There's just 2 much information in Todays World...Please Stop ...My head feels like it's going to Explode...

See I told `ya
(LOL)~>

Last edited by Space; 05-31-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM

LoL `John, you are the 1st to post on "You've Got a Big Head" LOL
Thanks for your link & morning cartoon funnies
The Master sure did make us all different then the rest, and I admit that I'm way different 4-Sure...+ Weird , but I'm happy in my space in my Head LOL

Thanks for your contributions... Sure hope my posts don't explode your Head LOL

Peace/Happiness from empty`SpaceHead LOL

Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM

Eddie

Last edited by DE02Carlo; 05-31-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Thanks `Joe 4 your Pic of Eddie (LOL)
============================================
I keep reading that "Ignorance is `Bliss"
Ignorance is bliss definition

Not knowing something is often more comfortable than knowing it.
Note : This proverb resembles “What you don't know cannot hurt you.” It figures in a passage from “On a Distant Prospect of Eton College,” by the eighteenth-century English poet Thomas Gray: “Where ignorance is bliss, / ‘Tis folly to be wise.’”
I'm starting to see the wisdom in that definition & I'm considering stopping by pursuit of additional knowledge in Life...
I prefer to be just in the state of `BLISS

Can we delete what we have put in our Head ? (b-4 it explodes) LOL

What do you think ? or don't U want 2 know ? (LOL)

Last edited by Space; 05-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Sorry to the Member's that clicked & thought this thread was about Big Block Chevy HEADS

Heads from a "409" Big Block Chevy..(see, ~>there's more stuff you can learn on the MCF)

<TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="33%">
^^ I'd love to have this in a 4th Gen Please...Member's please send your donations to `Space ~> Please.....Thank You ~>LOL

http://www.racecarparts.com/Big_Block_Chevy.html
^ Source Link above ^

</TD><TD width="67%">495" Arias hemi chevy all new, Arias hemi chevy conversion with trick ported heads, New Century aluminum soild block 4.440 bore .904 lifters, Titan billet pump, clevite bearings., Billet fab 2 peice oil pan, Rcd geardrive, crank hub, crank trigger, idler assembly, front magneto drive, Crank support, velasco 4" billet crank, Arias pistons, Akerly & childs rings, NGK PLUGS, Isky red zone lifters, Valley cover, Blower shop hihelix blower, Blower shop blower drive, MGP billet rods, Olsen zoomies chrome, Crane roller cam, MSD 20 amp magneto, Taylor wire set RCD 8MM pulleys and belt, All new!

Professionally assembled and ready to rock!

$36,000 delivered in USA

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 05-31-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 AM

<CENTER>Computation in the brain</CENTER>
<HR width="60%">

<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>The brain - that's my second most favourite organ! - Woody Allen </CENTER>
<HR width="60%">

The Brain as an Information Processing System

The human brain contains about 10 billion nerve cells, or neurons. On average, each neuron is connected to other neurons through about 10 000 synapses. (The actual figures vary greatly, depending on the local neuroanatomy.) The brain's network of neurons forms a massively parallel information processing system. This contrasts with conventional computers, in which a single processor executes a single series of instructions.

Against this, consider the time taken for each elementary operation: neurons typically operate at a maximum rate of about 100 Hz, while a conventional CPU carries out several hundred million machine level operations per second. Despite of being built with very slow hardware, the brain has quite remarkable capabilities:
  • its performance tends to degrade gracefully under partial damage. In contrast, most programs and engineered systems are brittle: if you remove some arbitrary parts, very likely the whole will cease to function.
  • it can learn (reorganize itself) from experience.
  • this means that partial recovery from damage is possible if healthy units can learn to take over the functions previously carried out by the damaged areas.
  • it performs massively parallel computations extremely efficiently. For example, complex visual perception occurs within less than 100 ms, that is, 10 processing steps!
  • it supports our intelligence and self-awareness. (Nobody knows yet how this occurs.)
<CENTER></CENTER>
As a discipline of Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks attempt to bring computers a little closer to the brain's capabilities by imitating certain aspects of information processing in the brain, in a highly simplified way.

Neural Networks in the Brain

The brain is not homogeneous. At the largest anatomical scale, we distinguish cortex, midbrain, brainstem, and cerebellum. Each of these can be hierarchically subdivided into many regions, and areas within each region, either according to the anatomical structure of the neural networks within it, or according to the function performed by them.
The overall pattern of projections (bundles of neural connections) between areas is extremely complex, and only partially known. The best mapped (and largest) system in the human brain is the visual system, where the first 10 or 11 processing stages have been identified. We distinguish feedforward projections that go from earlier processing stages (near the sensory input) to later ones (near the motor output), from feedback connections that go in the opposite direction.
In addition to these long-range connections, neurons also link up with many thousands of their neighbours. In this way they form very dense, complex local networks:

<CENTER> </CENTER>
Neurons and Synapses

The basic computational unit in the nervous system is the nerve cell, or neuron. A neuron has:
  • Dendrites (inputs)
  • Cell body
  • Axon (output)
A neuron receives input from other neurons (typically many thousands). Inputs sum (approximately). Once input exceeds a critical level, the neuron discharges a spike - an electrical pulse that travels from the body, down the axon, to the next neuron(s) (or other receptors). This spiking event is also called depolarization, and is followed by a refractory period, during which the neuron is unable to fire.

The axon endings (Output Zone) almost touch the dendrites or cell body of the next neuron. Transmission of an electrical signal from one neuron to the next is effected by neurotransmittors, chemicals which are released from the first neuron and which bind to receptors in the second. This link is called a synapse. The extent to which the signal from one neuron is passed on to the next depends on many factors, e.g. the amount of neurotransmittor available, the number and arrangement of receptors, amount of neurotransmittor reabsorbed, etc.

<HR width="60%">

Synaptic Learning

Brains learn. Of course. From what we know of neuronal structures, one way brains learn is by altering the strengths of connections between neurons, and by adding or deleting connections between neurons. Furthermore, they learn "on-line", based on experience, and typically without the benefit of a benevolent teacher.
The efficacy of a synapse can change as a result of experience, providing both memory and learning through long-term potentiation. One way this happens is through release of more neurotransmitter. Many other changes may also be involved.

<DL>
<DH>Long-term Potentiation:

<DD>An enduring (>1 hour) increase in synaptic efficacy that results from high-frequency stimulation of an afferent (input) pathway
</DD></DL>

Hebbs Postulate:

"When an axon of cell A... excites[s] cell B and repeatedly or persistently takes part in firing it, some growth process or metabolic change takes place in one or both cells so that A's efficiency as one of the cells firing B is increased."
Bliss and Lomo discovered LTP in the hippocampus in 1973
Points to note about LTP:
  • Synapses become more or less important over time (plasticity)
  • LTP is based on experience
  • LTP is based only on local information (Hebb's postulate)
<HR width="60%">

Summary

The following properties of nervous systems will be of particular interest in our neurally-inspired models:
  • parallel, distributed information processing
  • high degree of connectivity among basic units
  • connections are modifiable based on experience
  • learning is a constant process, and usually unsupervised
  • learning is based only on local information
  • performance degrades gracefully if some units are removed
  • etc..........
<HR width="60%">
Further surfing: The Nervous System - a great introduction, many pictures

Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Hate to burst your bubble space, but I'm pretty sure those heads are not from a BBC. The exhaust port pattern is that of an SBC. Now the pic of the entire motor IS a big block. The exhaust ports in that one are all an equal distance apart.

Now as far as the "ignorance is bliss" saying. For me it's the opposite. I've always had far more fear of the unknown. Guess it's just the way I'm wired.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Hate to burst your bubble space, but I'm pretty sure those heads are not from a BBC. The exhaust port pattern is that of an SBC. Now the pic of the entire motor IS a big block. The exhaust ports in that one are all an equal distance apart.

Now as far as the "ignorance is bliss" saying. For me it's the opposite. I've always had far more fear of the unknown. Guess it's just the way I'm wired.

sucp_0801_08_z+big_block_chevy_engines+z11_cylinde r_heads.jpg
superchevy.com

640 × 480 - Big Block Chevy Engines Z11 Cylinder Heads. 40 Years Of 348 And 409

LoL Sarge `Drew, my bubbles have been bursted many times & so have many of my brain cells in my head
Above is the link to the z+Big Block Chevy Heads
40 Years Of 348 And 409 W-Engines - W-ow!
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>The 1962-63 Z11 heads outwardly look like 409 heads, but their intake ports are rectangular and bigger. They measure 1 3/8 x 2 1/4 inches. By comparison, the '63 427 Mystery Motor ports are even larger: 1 1/2 x 2 7/16 inches. View Related Article</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=ctl00_ctl10_ctl00_DataListSmallImages border=0 cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD><TD vAlign=top align=center></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/p...#ixzz1x7013MS0

Last edited by Space; 06-07-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 AM

Ah it's a W motor. While it is a big block, I don't think of it in the same family as the BBC as there were substantial differences between the two. I guess that's just a difference in opinion though as I'm sure there are those who think of the W motors the same as the BBCs and 8100 (which, while sharing many features of the LS motors, had much more in common with the Mark IV BBC than the W engine did as far as design)

Quick Reply: * You've Got a Big Head *