Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* Fast-Expensive Dream Ride Video * EnJoy *

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up * Fast-Expensive Dream Ride Video * EnJoy *

Hi Member's,
Below are some rides to dream about...I hope that you enjoy & if you play the lotto ~> Win & buy them `all

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs Ferrari 458 Italia vs McLaren MP4-12C - Comparison Test

Bearing gifts of crushing horsepower, brilliant roadholding and breathtaking style, these V-8 supercars take to both the road and Spring Mountain’s Radical Loop.

By Douglas Kott / Photos by Marc Urbano
August 28, 2012

Slideshow >>
Video >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->With a grin so broad it's visible through his helmet’s visor, ex-IMSA champion Steve Millen pins the ZR1’s throttle on the short chute; the car squats hard on its rear Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, lifting the nose visibly, punching a jagged hole in the air en route to the next apex. The McLaren’s a blur on the back straight, turbos at full whistle with speed building on speed, then BAMM!—all at once, hard braking, an auto-blip downshift and, in finest Chaparral 2E tradition, the rear wing hammers into full air-brake mode. The Ferrari? It’s slithering gloriously around the track, slightly sideways yet in always controllable dynamic equilibrium, set to a mesmerizing V-8 soundtrack.

Video window may take a few moments to load...<CENTER></CENTER>
It’s all part of the sensory overload involved in evaluating three of the purest purpose-built V-8-powered supercars on the planet—essentially ultra-powerful engines with cars built around them, with seating for two and a bit of luggage.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia vs. 2012 McLaren MP4-12C

And the pedigrees are impressive. The ZR1 may represent the C6 Vette’s swan song, but the vocals are forceful with the 6.2-liter LS9 V-8’s basso profundo rumble with overtones of supercharger whine, good for a massive 638 bhp. The McLaren takes a completely different tack, with its relatively puny 3.8-liter V-8 set ridiculously low amidships and force-fed by turbochargers to a scintillating 592 bhp. The Ferrari? Its V-8 forgoes forced induction altogether, moving air with revs—9000 of them at peak engine speed—to generate 570 shrieking, prancing horses from 4.5 liters. They’re all impossibly fast and incredibly capable; driven alone and without context, each is a world-beater. But drive them back to back, and both strengths and weaknesses tend to pop out in bold relief. That’s why we do comparison tests, after all.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia vs. 2012 McLaren MP4-12C

We couldn’t wait to get them out on the track, our favored test venue of Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, but not before thoroughly flinging them around on desolate roads near Death Valley and Shoshone, California. With our entourage of support people from both Ferrari and McLaren, there was much hand-wringing and brow-mopping, especially when Millen was running the timed laps at the end of the day. Principals Luca Torre from Ferrari and Simon Andrew from McLaren practically wore out their iPhones’ touchscreens with texts to Maranello and Woking.

Of course, it’s not all about lap times. Sure, bragging rights are huge, but this trio lapped Spring Mountain’s 1.5-mile Radical Loop within about 1.2 seconds of one another. The real test: How did they comport themselves over the road? And how truly satisfying were they to drive?
...Continued...<~ Click here
<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance -->

<!-- from the buying guide -->Downloads:
<!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Chevrolet Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Chevrolet Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:Chevrolet Corvette Car Buying Guide- Get a Quote on the Chevrolet Corvette at RoadandTrack.com- Car Buying \nmodel state: published \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 5-->TOP COMPETITORSChevrolet Corvette »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
Inside this Story

<TABLE border=0 width=186><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia vs. 2012 McLaren MP4-12C >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 McLaren MP4-12C >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Ferrari 458 Italia >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>The Results >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Supercar Test: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs Ferrari 458 Italia vs McLaren MP4-12C >></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Download Datapanel</TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia vs. 2012 McLaren MP4-12C >></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager --><!-- Pager -->
<!-- /article-pager-wrapper -->Pages: 1 2345Photos

Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice rides. Thanks for posting, Space.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Downloads:
Thanks `Lou,
For the dollar the ZR`1 is still the best bang for the $ 4-$ure.

The Ferrari cost 3 times as much as the `Vette
and the
McLaren is twice the cost of the `Vette.

To me it was a great test & still a great dream about driving one someday or winning the lotto & owning one
I like all 3, but I'd be happy with the lowest priced one the awesome Chevrolet Corvette ZR`1 to me it's the King of the Hill & a lot less expensive to buy/drive/maintain 4-Sure

Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice SPACE!!!!
Great Post too...

My Dream ride has always been..

Lambo Countach...

I like the look and the styleing mostly...

Like the one in Cannon Ball run...

Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

All nice cars except the Ferarri the Mclaren is sweet lookin but is rather have this

Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
All nice cars except the Ferarri the Mclaren is sweet lookin but is rather have this

..LoL `Mike, are you really a `spy for MoPar
You sure are anti-Ferrari & like the Viper more then the ZR1..I'm look'in 4ward to the new 2014 ZR`1 & Viper comparsion test I do like what they have done to the SRT Viper GTS

Official Photos and Info

arrow<HGROUP>2013 SRT Viper / Viper GTS

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ive always been anti Ferarri i enjoy all sorts of cars just a few i hate lol but the viper is just an awesome machine