Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

** An Internet Explorer flaw ** (FYI)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry ** An Internet Explorer flaw ** (FYI)

<!-- Reporter --><!-- End Reporter -->A flaw in Internet Explorer may let ad firms track your every move

<!-- Large image -->
An Internet Explorer flaw could let ad firms track your online activity.

Posted: 12/14/12 04:56 PM ET

<!-- entry body --><STYLE>#news_entries #ad_sharebox_260x60 img {padding:0px;margin:0px}</STYLE><IFRAME style="WIDTH: 0px; DISPLAY: none; HEIGHT: 0px" id=atwAdFrame1 title=Ad height=60 marginHeight=0 src="http://engadget.aol.com/_uac/adpage.html" frameBorder=0 width=260 allowTransparency marginWidth=0 scrolling=no banId="1918609|1"></IFRAME>

Originally posted Dec 13, 2012 on Engadget by Jon Fingas, revised for AOL by Rob Zanicchi

It can feel a bit creepy when those pesky web ads try to lure you into buying that car you researched the day before -- kinda like you're being watched. Now, users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer may have good reason to be paranoid as ad analytics firm, Spider.io, claims security flaws in IE can lead to outlets tracking your mouse movements.
A hole in the JavaScript (a type of coding used to build websites), incorporated in versions 6 through 10 of the popular browser, reportedly allows intruders to follow along with the onscreen pointer, regardless of whether the app is active or running in the background. According to the data organization, an attacker can view your cursor gestures by simply buying ad space on any webpage you visit. Virtual keyboards, like those in many tablets, could be targeted since fingers or styluses mimic a mouse to input information. Microsoft has confirmed that it's investigating the glitch, but also takes issue with the source of the accusatory report.
The Redmond-based team argues that other web browsers have "similar capabilities" (which Spider debates) and Spider.io has ulterior motives -- being an ad analytics firm itself -- it allegedly wants to knock down two competitors that are supposedly utilizing the flaw for business purposes. We've asked Spider.io for comment, and we'll update this post if we're told more. Microsoft reinforces that they're "actively working to adjust this behavior" -- in the meantime, you may want to use another browser.
Via: The Verge
Source: Spider.io, IEBlog

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Google plays privacy catch-up, adds Do Not Track option to Chrome

By Sarah Silbert posted Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:47 PM0
</HEADER><HR><!-- /M --><!-- Page wrapper --><!-- Page body -->Google's had one foot in the web privacy door for a while, offering Chrome users the Keep My Opt-Outs extension in its browser's Web Store since 2011. Still, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari already offer a Do Not Track option directly in their browser settings. Mountain View is now working to close that gap by bringing that same privacy configuration to Chrome. Do Not Track will let users opt out of tracking cookies and targeted advertising (from ad networks that comply with the standard, that is), and is currently live on Chrome's developer channel. The option will reportedly be baked into the stable version of the browser by the end of the year.

<!-- /.post-body --><ASIDE class=meta-sources>Via:PCWorld

Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Internet explorer is a flaw lol

Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Couldnt of said it better....

<--- IE

Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I agree. I'm still using it (why? I don't know). But I agree.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I don't trust Google either.... They were financed by the CIA when starting up years back.. Bet they still have their hands in the cookie jar today....

See below excerpt:

Published on December 7th, 2006 by Karel Donk • No Comments, leave one »

Ex CIA agent Robert Steele recently spoke about the relationship between the CIA and Google again, and mentioned how CIA seed money helped to finance Google’s launch. He did this on the Alex Jones show, where he not too long ago had already mentioned how Google was providing assistence to the CIA.

From this article:
An ex-CIA agent has gone further than ever before in detailing Google’s relationship with the Central Intelligence Agency, claiming sources told him that CIA seed money helped get the company off the ground and naming for the first time Google’s CIA point man.

Robert David Steele , a 20-year Marine Corps infantry and intelligence officer and a former clandestine services case officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, is the CEO of OSS.net .

Speaking to the Alex Jones Show, Steele elaborated on his previous revelations by making it known that the CIA helped bankroll Google at its very inception.

“I think Google took money from the CIA when it was poor and it was starting up and unfortunately our system right now floods money into spying and other illegal and largely unethical activities, and it doesn’t fund what I call the open source world,” said Steele, citing “trusted individuals” as his sources for the claim.

“They’ve been together for quite a while,” added Steele.

Asked to impart to what level Google is “in bed” with the CIA, Steele described the bond as a “small but significant relationship,” adding, “it is by no means dominating Google in fact Google has been embarrassed because everything the CIA asked it to do they couldn’t do.”

“I also think it’s very very wrong of Google to have this relationship,” cautioned Steele.

The former agent went further than before in identifying by name Google’s liaison at the CIA.

“Let me say very explicitly – their contact at the CIA is named Dr. Rick Steinheiser, he’s in the Office of Research and Development,” said Steele.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 12-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
I agree. I'm still using it (why? I don't know). But I agree.

LoL `Lou, change is sometimes difficult I have to change also, but I think there are some problems & limitations with other browser's also...The bad will always find a way to invade your life/computers until we find a way to control...

The world is spin'in outa control

(lol) 4-Sure. I'm get'in `off

Last edited by Space; 12-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I don't trust Google's web browser. I'll use the search engine though. I won't use Bing search engine, because Bing is just an advertising joke.

I used to use Netscape as my browser many, many years ago. But it had compatibility issues with a lot of websites. So I pretty much went back to IE.

I find IE is loaded with bugs. And each new version fixes old bugs, and has new ones in it's place. As for the other browsers, I can only go by what users have told me. I've been told that the other browsers are thinly disguised spyware that use your browsing history to send you advertising based on the websites/subjects that you browse on the net. I suppose Internet Explorer does it too. So I don't know.

I think Space is right. I'm probably still using IE out of habit. Not because it's any better.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

What Is The Best & Fastest Browser? Internet Browser Reviews: 2012 << Click

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)"></CITE>
Nov 5, 2012 – With so many browsers on the market, it's hard to decide which is the best. After reading this article you will find all the answers and all ...

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

'Whats best? Only YOU can decide'

That's where the article should have ended. When the writer goes on to make what appear to be biased comments like

'I have been using Firefox since day one and, compared to the others, it is in a class by itself -- although Opera does come extremely close.'

and

'IE9 has great improvements in security and new features compared to IE8. A great browser to download Firefox with!.'

it makes it difficult for the reader to not think there is an incentive for the writer to favor one browser over the others. It would be one thing to present the actual facts about all the browsers so the reader could decide which is best for them, but the article tends to spotlight one particular browser while downplaying the others.

Quick Reply: ** An Internet Explorer flaw ** (FYI)