Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

***Emotional Survival Guide for the Holidays 2014***

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow ***Emotional Survival Guide for the Holidays 2014***

Emotional Survival Guide for the Holidays
for the MCF & Everyone (Especially `Space: )
* Member's, post your tips on how you survive the holidays ?

^I'll drink 2 that^
Here's 2 U
&
U 2
---------------

Experts explain some simple methods for driving away the holiday blues.

Listen <Click

By Denise Mann
WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

WebMD

'Tis the season to be jolly? Not necessarily. For many people the holiday season, which kicks off with Thanksgiving and spans through New Year's, is anything but blissful. In fact, this time of year may trigger a bout of the blues or perhaps ignite a depression that has been smoldering under the surface for months.
"Holiday blues are a pretty common problem despite the fact that as a society, we see the holidays as a joyous time," says Rakesh Jain, MD, director of psychiatric drug research at the R/D Clinical Research Center in Lake Jackson, Texas. "Many people feel depressed, which can be due to the increased stress that comes with the need to shop and the decreased time to exercise which gets put on the back burner during the holidays."
While people with clinical depression should seek professional help, those with a touch of the holiday blues can try these strategies recommended by experts to assure a jolly Christmas and a happy new year.

Visiting Ghosts of Christmas Past

"See what it was in the past that led to trouble, whether drinking too much alcohol or not exercising enough or the decreased social contact that comes from going to parties with relative strangers, but forgetting to connect with friends and family," Jain suggests. "Every time depression visits, it leaves a fingerprint. Look for what in the past has been a repeat source of trouble and find ways to avoid it. If you plan, it's very likely that you won't be singing the blues this holiday season."
Sending a Holiday Card -- to Yourself

"Writing about your holiday blues can actually change them," says Darlene Mininni, PhD, MPH, author of The Emotional Toolkit. "People who write about their deepest feelings when they're upset are less depressed, less anxious, and more positive about life than people who write about mundane things," she tells WebMD. She suggests writing for 15 minutes a day for three or four days in a row and answering such questions as "Why does this upset me so much?" Or "What would I like to see happen?"

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 NEXT PAGE >

Further Reading:

Last edited by Space; 12-18-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: >I think Space needs Professional Help 4-Sure<
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Unhappy

How To Survive The Holidays Without Going Into Debt

“The enemy is debt,” says John Rosenfeld, a former Green Beret who, between he and his fiancé, has six children. Rosenfeld should know how to survive the holidays so that he’s solvent in January and beyond: he is also the head of Everyday Banking for Citizens Bank.
But it is his military background in planning, executing and debriefing after a mission that he draws on during the holiday rush. “Who knew being a Green Beret would help with holiday spending?” Rosenfeld says.
The approaches to a mission and holiday shopping are remarkably similar, he says. Here is his his three-point plan for making it through the holiday season unscathed.

1. Have a Plan
“No matter how many unknowns you encounter during your mission, you will have a game-plan to go from,” says Rosenfeld. “That is why having a budget is so important.”
Plan for what you expect to buy and how much you anticipate spending.Rosenfeld suggests having separate budgets for your holiday travel, gift purchases, entertainment and entertaining.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:29 PM

This thread has had many views, but no one has posted
I hope that doesn't mean that everyone got depressed from reading it.
>Yes `Space, you failed again on this thread. Get some rest & try again. "If @ first you don't succeed >> Have a few drinks & try, try again<

>Ok `Santa > Thanks <

Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

No Space you did not fail!!! It reminded me it is the season for giving. So I hopped over to JEGS and Summit and decided to give my Monte a few nice things!! New shocks, a racing harness, electric water pump drive, and a pair of exhaust cut outs!!! Can't wait to see the look on her grill come Christmas morning!!!! LOL
Happy Holidays everyone!!! Come on Spring...I wanna go racing!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 AM

Hi Barbara & thanks for being the first to post on this thread & sharing your gift's for your Monte

"Spring will return with time", there's a season for everything & for everyone. Enjoy your present of this holiday season.

Wish you & yours + your awesome Monte Carlo a Safe & Happy Holiday season >EnJoy<

Old 12-20-2014, 05:12 AM

7 Ways to Squelch Holiday Squabbles

WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

WebMD Archive
#archivelink { color:#3789b9 !important; cursor:pointer; clear:both; padding-top:18px; padding-bottom:8px; } #archivepopover h3{ font-size:160%; } #archivepopover{ margin:0px 25px 25px 25px; width:310px; }

Do the holidays send you running for antacids, not because of too much food ... but because of too much family? This year, try replacing the Tums with a peacekeeping plan. According to Peggy Post, author of the 17th edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, would-be holiday peacekeepers should arm themselves with the fundamentals of etiquette, "consideration, respect, and honesty." Post shared the following tips for promoting harmony at family gatherings.

1. Be Realistic

Post tells WebMD the first step toward enjoying the festivities is to set aside idealized images of how things should go. "Be realistic," she says. "Don't think anything is going to be perfect."
Psychologist Peter Wish, PhD, agrees that expectations are key. "Be prepared and know that people tend to get on each other's nerves and push buttons that can go all the way back to childhood," he tells WebMD. "People have these tapes in their head and tend to respond the way they did years ago. You don't need to respond the way you did before."
2. Anticipate Conflicts

"Plan ahead and try to be as calm as possible with other people," Post says. If you can anticipate the types of conflicts that are likely to come up, you can plan a response in advance. This can help avoid the knee-jerk reactions that tend to escalate tensions. For example, if you tend to have the same argument with Dad again and again, come up with a plan to break the cycle. One strategy is to signal your spouse to run interference.
Continue reading below...

Once you have a plan to keep yourself in line, decide how you will handle bickering among other family members. Wish suggests separating "the combatants" and asking them to call a truce for the common good.
3. Share the Work

Eda Lang, a retired teacher, has hosted her extended family and friends for many holidays over the years. She says one of the biggest sources of tension is trying to prepare a feast solo when you're working full time. "You want to do right by Mom and Dad and all your loved ones, and you don't want any of them to be alone on Thanksgiving, so you invite them all. But you are stressed out from work and you have no one to help."

1 | 2 | 3 Next Page >

Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 AM

8 Early Holiday Tips To Keep You Sane -- And Less Stressed < CLICK

The Huffington Post | Ann Brenoff | Posted 12.22.2014 | Fifty
Read More: Stress, Holiday Survival Guide, Holiday Survival Tips, Holiday Shopping, Coping With the the Holidays,Tips for Surviving the Holidays, Huffmag, Best of Huffpost, Third Metric, post50, Fifty News
What's that famous quote about the definition of insanity? The one that had something to do with repeating the same actions and expecting a different ...

Last edited by Space; 12-22-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:52 AM
Smile

'Tis the Season to Stress Less

Holiday Gratings

WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

WebMD Archive
#archivelink { color:#3789b9 !important; cursor:pointer; clear:both; padding-top:18px; padding-bottom:8px; } #archivepopover h3{ font-size:160%; } #archivepopover{ margin:0px 25px 25px 25px; width:310px; }

-- Do you handle stress, or does it handle you?
A 28-year-old female lawyer directed the following question to Cheryl Richardson, coach and author of Take Time for Your Life: A Personal Coach's Seven-Step Program for Creating the Life You Want.

Recommended Related to Mind, Body, Spirit

6 Inspiring Female Bloggers
By Anna DaviesCreating a blog is more than just flinging your diary open for the world to see. A blog can bring you a circle of friends, an amazing sense of confidence, and a safe space to discover who you truly are. Read on as six women tell how blogging changed their lives, and let them inspire you to find your own virtual village.

Read the 6 Inspiring Female Bloggers article > >

We won't reveal her name, but no doubt, she reveals a familiar feeling of being overwhelmed. Such feelings demand some attention -- whether the pressure you feel comes and goes with the holidays or it is a year-round fixture in your life.

The Question:

"I work an average of 10 to 12 hours daily, and my work is deadline-oriented. Several months ago, at the same time I was transferred to a new location at my job, the person I love and my parents began to have emotional conflicts with each other. Since then, I have suffered from the following symptoms: tight neck and shoulders, feeling weepy and anxious, memory loss, low energy, diminishing appetite, migraine headaches, irregular sleeping patterns, lack of focus, breathing difficulties, and more.
Continue reading below...

At first these symptoms occurred one at a time, but now I suffer from most of them all the time. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love my job and I know things will get better on the personal side, but somehow this does not seem to make me feel any better. Can you please offer some advice?"
Here's how Richardson responds:

"Consider these symptoms as your body's way of offering you a warning that you're heading for danger, and take them seriously. I highly recommend that you sit down with your partner or a good friend and have a heart-to-heart talk about what's going on in your life. Consider everything from your long work hours and deadline-oriented work to the emotional conflict between your partner and your parents. Then, together, create a plan of action in order to restore your health and well-being as soon as possible. Your self-care must be a top priority.
It's important to know that the emotional conflict you're dealing with in your personal life does create additional problems at work. Too often, we make the mistake of believing that we can separate our work lives from our personal lives, but we can't. Conflicts related to parents or a loved one -- the people who are closest to us -- are some of the most stressful of all. What goes on at home either enhances your well-being at work or adds to your overall stress level.

1 | 2 Next Page >