Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you getting pop up ads ?
Yes, all the time
30.00%
Some of the time (not much)
15.00%
I never get them
20.00%
I will post how to stop them
0%
Only get them on the MCF (?)
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

*** MCF Pop`Ups *** ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been getting that caddy one still.Only place I get it is on some of the pics?
I normally don't get pop up ads any were else?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

'Space, The Cadillac ads that some are seeing appear randomly on pics are advertisements authorized by IB. I have seen them on this and other IB forums over the past few days. They are using a 'widget' to superimpose the ad on top of existing images, so I don't know if blocking them is possible or not. I have had then appear using both IE and Firefox with some pretty aggressive pop-up blockers active and they still manage to get through. Those ads are also the cause of some pages 'hanging' and taking a long time to load. I guess it's just part of the price you pay to keep the forum online...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Thanks Seattle `Mike for your input & reasons...

Maybe, I'm not getting them because they know that I can't afford a new Caddy (?)

I do find it strange that some member's are getting them & other's are not ? ?

I shall continue to investigate...I appreciate yours & member's input on this subject (Problem)... Thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM

It's set up to scan on its own 3 or 4 times a week and I run a scan 2 times a week so I can see what's going on in the up dates thing after the scan is done cause if I let just the computer do it I don't get to see things like that

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Never seen them. Like others, I use Firefox with Adblock and am subscribed to a 'blacklist' that updates Adblock.

But I would like to add a comment about the site's recent odd behavior on my end. Cllicking any thumbnail or external link (such as an eBay auction or the like) in MCF brings up the Firefox warning bar that a pop-up has been blocked. Choosing the "always allow popups for MCF" option never sticks and the next time I click a link it repeats the warning.

I've made a habit of right-clicking on links or thumbnails to open the link in a new tab on MCF.

Apologies to those who pay for the ads. Sorry, man.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not getting the pop ups. Perhaps I'm just lucky? I'll talk to IB about this. I hate pop ups.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I'm not getting the pop ups. Perhaps I'm just lucky? I'll talk to IB about this. I hate pop ups.

Thanks Lou for looking into this....

I use to have no problem logging into MCF as wel as posting....But since this cadillac ad has been here... I can barely log into the site.(with my phone)..Let alone try to post anything..Its almost as if it hang on the site..(like gets frozen) and maybe in 10 mins or more than I can almost get the keyboard to respond..to make a post...Im guessing since my phone is a "windows phone"... It just cant use/show the pop up....thus hanging up my ability to access the site with my phone. This is just a guess of course....I have had this phone almost a year..and usually had no issues like mentioned before...as to useing /accessing/ posting on MCF....Now its near impossible...

Thanks again for looking into this "pop up" issue!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-30-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM

PopUps = failed marketing

Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've sent an email to one of my contacts at Internet Brands.

I know the forum needs to advertise to pay the bills. So advertising will never completely go away. But I'd at least like to take care of the popup problem. I hate popups.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I've sent an email to one of my contacts at Internet Brands.

I know the forum needs to advertise to pay the bills. So advertising will never completely go away. But I'd at least like to take care of the popup problem. I hate popups.
Thanks Lou!

Quick Reply: *** MCF Pop`Ups *** ?