Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

*** FBI may shut down internet ? Monday 7/9/12 ***

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question *** FBI may shut down internet ? Monday 7/9/12 ***

Notice to Member's..

<!-- /section-branding --><!-- ********************** ARTICLE START ********************** -->Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday..FBI may shut down internet ?

Published July 05, 2012
Associated Press

• This undated handout image provided by The DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG) shows the webpage resulting from not having the DNS malware. (AP/DNC Changer Working Group)
WASHINGTON – The warnings about the Internet problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google. Internet service providers have sent notices, and the FBI set up a special website.

But tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.

Despite repeated alerts, the number of computers that probably are infected is more than 277,000 worldwide, down from about 360,000 in April. Of those still infected, the FBI believes that about 64,000 are in the United States.

Users whose computers are still infected Monday will lose their ability to go online, and they will have to call their service providers for help deleting the malware and reconnecting to the Internet.

The problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of more than 570,000 infected computers around the world. When the FBI went in to take down the hackers late last year, agents realized that if they turned off the malicious servers being used to control the computers, all the victims would lose their Internet service.

In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net. They brought in a private company to install two clean Internet servers to take over for the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose their Internet.
But that temporary system will be shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday, July 9.

Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their Web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.
But popular social networking sites and Internet providers have gotten more involved, reaching out to computer users to warn of the problem.

According to Tom Grasso, an FBI supervisory special agent, many Internet providers are ready for the problem and have plans to try to help their customers. Some, such as Comcast, already have reached out.

The company sent out notices and posted information on its website. Because the company can tell whether there is a problem with a customer's Internet server, Comcast sent an email, letter or Internet notice to customers whose computers appeared to be affected.

Grasso said other Internet providers may come up with technical solutions that they will put in place Monday that will either correct the problem or provide information to customers when they call to say their Internet isn't working. If the Internet providers correct the server problem, the Internet will work, but the malware will remain on victims' computers and could pose future problems.

In addition to individual computer owners, about 50 Fortune 500 companies are still infected, Grasso said.
Both Facebook and Google created their own warning messages that showed up if someone using either site appeared to have an infected computer. Facebook users would get a message that says, "Your computer or network might be infected," along with a link that users can click for more information.

Google users got a similar message, displayed at the top of a Google search results page. It also provides information on correcting the problem.
To check whether a computer is infected, users can visit a website run by the group brought in by the FBI: DCWG | DNS Changer Working Group .

The site includes links to respected commercial sites that will run a quick check on the computer, and it also lays out detailed instructions if users want to actually check the computer themselves.

Read more: Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday | Fox News

Last edited by Space; 07-05-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 AM

thats fliping crazy

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Hi Member's,
I heard the above news this morning on my first night shift break & then checked the web for the above source.

I hope that any of our computer expert member's with knowledge of above will post their comments on above.

We sure don't want our MCF member's going through MCF withdrawals 4-Sure

If any member's have a update on above please post...
Thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM

<CITE>Examiner.com</CITE>‎ - 1 hour ago
Tens of thousands of people will lose their Internet service on Monday July 9th due to ... According to the Washington Post, over a year ago FBI shut down a ring of ... This will happen at 12:01 am on Monday July, 9, 2012.
Thousands to lose Internet Monday: how to check to see if you're one of them* Lastest new above..

Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM

It seems that the FBI will only be shutting down internet service to those whose computers are infected with a certain virus. I am guessing that mostly everyone here has been keeping up with their anti-virus on their computers so no one here should have an issue.

There was a virus that was sent out a few years ago that basically changed the DNS settings on your computer. The virus would bring you to fake websites and try to promote fake products.

I guess a lot of people are just ignorant and don't care if their computer has a virus. No one on this forum should have an issue though.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have malwarebytes pro on all my computers...No problems here...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Kind of a misnomer here. The FBI isn't shutting down anyone's internet. They are merely no longer supporting the problematic servers that they have propped up for over a year. People have had enough time to get rid of potential malware by now. I think it's commendable that they bothered to support an infected system to avoid inconveniencing the general public in the first place.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yep they're shutting down their servers that allowed infected computers to remain on the internet, while still infected.

Looks like Monday will be busy for me.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I read this story and was rather intrigued by what they said took place. Removing the "malware" servers would render people without Internet immediately. Instead the FBI put "clean" servers in place to prevent people from loss of service giving 1 year for the problem to be re-mediated.
I work in the I.T. industry and today was the first I had heard of it (I suppose perhaps the folks in I.T. Security heard about it already). But just wild!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi `Jason & Member's,
I did not want to cry Wolfe, but I've learned it's better to be safe then sorry 4-Sure...

I hope that all of our member's have checked their computer's and run scans for virus's.

Can you imagine a World without Internet ? I know the basics working, but it's so vast & complicated for my space brain to comprehend the complexities..I marvel every-time I log on2 the World Wide Web and that our words can be seen all around planet earth & beyond

Thanks member's for your posts & input..
Wish everyone a clean `puter & good experiences on the www

Quick Reply: *** FBI may shut down internet ? Monday 7/9/12 ***