Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

$ A Billion + of your $'s may go 2 Space 2day ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up $ A Billion + of your $'s may go 2 Space 2day ?

Hi Member's,
The SpaceCoast is still active & Today they are
going to try another Blast `Off today
My BeachBum friends & I hope to be there to watch
(It's only a few miles away from us)

p.s. SpaceX has a planned launch for
May 7th...I would love to hitch a ride
(I'm just filling in some empty space on the
MCF to give you some updated news
of my area) EnJoy your Space!

ULA Atlas V to make

second attempt to launch with AEHF-2

<SMALL>May 3rd, 2012 by William Graham</SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>'
The United Launch Alliance launch of the second Advanced Extremely High Frequency communications satellite for the United States Air Force was scrubbed on Thursday, due to an overtemp condition on the Centaur Interstage Adapter purge. A second attempt to launch from Space Launch Complex 41 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, has been set for Friday, at 2:42pm EDT.

SCRUB:
Thursday’s scrub came after the Atlas V anomaly team failed to find a solution to an overtemp condition within the allocated launch window.

A plan was being worked to send a team out to the third level of the pad to manually check a valve, but it was decided that with only too little time to resolve, along with a radio interference issue with the range, a 24 hour scrub would be the best option.
“The launch of an Atlas V carrying the United States Air Force’s Advanced Extremely High Frequency-2 (AEHF-2) payload was scrubbed today due to lack of helium flow from the ground support equipment to the Interstage Adapter compartment on the launch vehicle,” noted the ULA statement that followed the scrub.
“The Atlas V vehicle and AEHF-2 are safe and secure at this time. The launch is rescheduled for Friday, May 4 from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. The opening of the launch window is 2:42 p.m. EDT and extends until 4:42 p.m. The forecast for May 4 shows an 80 percent chance of favorable weather conditions for the launch tomorrow.
Atlas V Mission:
Advanced Extremely High Frequency, or AEHF, is a series of communications satellites being launched to supplement, and eventually replace, the earlier Milstar spacecraft, which were launched between 1994 and 2003. AEHF is designed to be secure, survivable, and resistant to attempted jamming, and will provide communications for the US military, as well as the armed forces of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the Netherlands.
Current plans will see two further launches increase the number of AEHF satellites in orbit to four; one satellite is already in orbit, one is awaiting launch, and a fourth is under construction. Negotiations are underway regarding the procurement of two further satellites, increasing the number of spacecraft to six; the number which was originally planned before the programme was scaled back in favour of the now-cancelled Transformational Satellite Communications System, or TSAT.
For more click below
ULA Atlas V to make second attempt to launch with AEHF-2 | NASASpaceFlight.com

=========================================
May 7th ?

The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.
SpaceX 'unlikely' to visit International Space Station on May 7 | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Last edited by Space; 05-04-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Cool! I hope they get to launch in a few days. Thanks for sharing, Space.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks `Dave for your post/words.
I sure hope it goes 2day...Yesterday it was scrubbed because someone 4-got to open a valve....(Expensive delay).

The Bum's & I are looking forward to the launch...
Skies presently are cloudy & it hot & humid again today..

....Now that's POWER 4-Sure...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 PM

A beautiful successful launch today....
The BeachBum's, my grandfather & my boss watched the lift `off...It's an amazing sight to see 4-Sure....

My boss furnished sub's from Sub-Ways & drinks + Chocolate Chip cookies (Super Good Stuff)

No vid's out yet, but if they post them on the Web, I will link it on this thread, or you can watch on the World New 2night.

Mission Description: The AEHF system is the successor to the five-satellite Milstar constellation and will provide significantly improved global, highly secure, protected, survivable communications for all warfighters serving U.S. national security.