Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New Toy! : Innovate Motorsports OT-2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Toy! : Innovate Motorsports OT-2 Review

Seen this banner at the top of the forum before?

Well, on for Father's Day my wife bought me an iTouch and I haven't stopped dickin' with it since. I thought I'd have no use for one, but I use it for everything. And since advertising on the Monte Carlo Forum works so well, I had to get one of these Innovation things. I ordered it through work for a nice insider price, but not a lot cheaper then advertised.

So let me say a few things about this, since I found little information about this before purchasing. First, please understand, that I know very little about this kinda stuff. Maybe more then average, but I'm still just learning no doubt. I've only really had about 45 minutes to play with this thing, but it seems fairly easy to figure out and has advanced function for me to figure out.

The ODBII scanner is straight forward and really quick too. After my last PCM tune, my car periodically throws 0420 codes and it cleared it so fast I wasn`t sure sure worked. But the way its linked wirelessly is live so I guess once its linked its in there

It has a lot of gauge options. Like 50 or something. It depends on what kind of car its linked too, which is why I couldn`t find any information on what the gauge options are. Unfortunately, KR is not one of them. Most gauge options I wouldn`t understand. An iTouch is pretty small for really reading the smaller of the 3 gauges (displayed as selected) while driving, but you can log a run for an unknown amount of time (at least 3 minutes - the longest I`ve tried) and review even more then the 3 channel gauges you selected on a graph. I only logged a run in traffic to see how it worked.

But I got it mostly because I wanted to try the Dyno! I didn`t get the time to get the run I wanted. I did find a quarter mile of open flat for this one run:

I thought the HP was probably accurate enough. The orange line is the measure Gravitational pull, which I think is a unique consideration in measurement and probably improves accuracy, but what would I know. The quarter mile time is logged wasn`t so great for a 284hp Monte, but I had the TracControl and AirConditioning still on. I could make excuses all day, but this is certainly a handy tool for helping me dial in. The Dyno was easy to start and it stops automatically. When your ready you hit the button and go when ready. You need space to test the only way I`ve tried so far, but I`ve yet to try the Fixed RPM range option method of testing, which is supposed to be more accurate. Its also records and displays the usual breakdown of your quarter mile specs (0-60, 60 feet, etc.).

Information recorded is easily emailed from your iThing, which seems the easiest way to get stored info to your desktop. But the OT2 module that plugs into the car is a normal fully functional logger that can be plugged directly to your PC and reviewed with the included LogWorks3 software.

I`d say this thing is pretty fun out-of-the-box and a must have for iTouch, iPhone owners. The iTouch is cheap enough these days to make the purchase of one worth it to use this. It seems affordable, practical and fun to me so far, but I`ll probably have more to say later

Last edited by JuniorCar; 07-13-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I saw it and wanted it so bad. Looks awesome, congrats on the purchase.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I bought something called Dynolicious, I got it for like $6 on my iPod touch.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I bought something called Dynolicious, I got it for like $6 on my iPod touch.
Innovate allows you to download the LogWorks App for free and it has working dyno software, but even they claim its not very accurate without the additional OT2 hardware. It works off gravity alone, so I don't know how it could even be close. The only vehicle imformation it uses is the manually entered weight. But I tried it without the hardware first and I actually prefered these results:

318hp and 14.7 @ 109 mph! The time still seems a little slow for the power, but its not realistic anyways. Not enough input information, but a pretty good guess for an iTouch by itself.

How's the Dynolicious work?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

15 Year Member

The dynolicious program, uses the accelerometer in my iTouch, you have to mount it perfect, and input some cars information.

Unfortunately I haven't had ample "space" or anything to play with it much, so I don't have many fun graphs with it.

But it seemed to work pretty good, and for $6 it wasn't bad lol

(I can't seem to find any of my graphs that I saved )

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Unfortunately I haven't had ample "space" or anything to play with it much, so I don't have many fun graphs with it.

(I can't seem to find any of my graphs that I saved )
I know - it sounds easy, but I can't get a good 1/4 mile off without something messing with me. I never have the time to get to the right place at the right time. Traffic usually interfers in some capacity, even out in the country. The one good run I had was so rushed I didn't even turn off the A/C or Traction, but at least I found a flat spot where I could leave it wide open for 15 seconds. I'll have to test in the middle of the night somewhere

Last edited by JuniorCar; 07-15-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM

15 Year Member

Yeah I need to go for a nice joy-ride when I'm visiting my parents some time.