New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Wow, what a day...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Welcome!!! I too had to replace my wheel hub due to a bad Traction Control/ABS sensor on my 2001 SS. Wasn't too happy about replacing the entire hub for just one bad sensor. But other than that, overall, very pleased with the car and the 3800 series engine (very dependable and award winning). I hope this bad "car buying experience" with this used car lot will not change your view on the Monte Carlo.

I really hope everything works out for you.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the props, KidSpace. :-P In English class, I NEVER had a problem writing papers that were long enough. LOL. In fact, in colege, I had a paper I had to weed down from 19 pages to 10. (It was a paper about my very favorite author, Robert A. Heinlein.)

Geddy, everything I do to the Monte (I've been thinking of her as The Silver, which is what Daenerys in A Game of Thrones calls her horse) just makes her more mine, and makes the ride better. I really think she's in great shape now, and will be a good car to me for years to come. She's only got 83,000 miles on her, that's great for a 9-10 year old car. She runs great even without the CA emissions stuff, so hopefully the rest of it will make her better still.

Thanks for being my sounding board, guys!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Glad to hear you're turning her around.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Ok, update for today. The last 3 pieces came in, and I dropped her off in Shelbyville this afternoon. Hopefully the guys at Deals on Wheels can get it all installed tomorrow, and I can get her tagged finally. The temp tag runs out Thursday.

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:53 PM

I hope you get it straightned out soon. If the temp tag does run out, the car lot should give you another one since it's their fault you can't tag it the way it is.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Well, went down to pick her up this evening, and before we even got off the lot, the check engine light was back on. Called Blue, let him know I was going to take her around the corner to AutoZone and have them run the codes. She's throwing a P0443 EVAP PURGE CONTROL CIRCUIT FAULT code now, which is caused by 4 different things:

1 Purge or vent solenoids defective
2 Check connector and wiring
3 Fuel saturated vapor canister
4 Failed EVAP vent solenoid

When the guy at AutoZone saw this, he asked me if the engine had flooded recently. I told him not that I was aware of, but that she had died on me a couple of times, once where she started right back up and didn't have any more problems, then again where she died on us 3 times in a row trying to get out of a parking lot. Didn't have any further problems after that one, and my boyfriend (who was driving at the time) said it sounded like vapor lock.

When I mentioned this, the AutoZone guy said that could have flooded the canister, that it might need replaced or just dried out. He suggested I take her home (53 miles away) and disconnect the battery overnight, then see if it came back.

I called Blue, and told him what the codes said. he asked me what I wanted to do, did I want to leave it there and they'd look at it again tomorrow? I asked him if he had all the diagnostic equipment to do it, and could they fix it, and he said yes. Oh, and they also found, when they replaced the exhaust manifold, that the spark plug wires were melted to the manifold. He had them replace the spark plug wires, too.

It does seem like he's TRYING to help me out here, not just throwing me to the wolves and telling me "Tough, you bought it AS IS." And I did check to make sure the parts I bought were installed, and they are. He put everything he had left over (extra bolts, an extra clamp that I got too many of, and the old exhaust manifold) in the trunk. It even sounds better, like it's running more like it should be.

So, keep your fingers crossed for me AGAIN, that tomorrow will be the day she's done, and done RIGHT. Thursday is the last day on the temp tag, but they aren't allowed to give me another tag. If it's not fixed by tomorrow, I'll have to run it through emissions, fail, and take the failed emissions sheet to the Howard School building (this building has all kinds of government stuff in it now, you can get your marriage license, car tags, heaven only knows what else) and have THEM issue me another temp tag.

Last edited by Danariel; 11-16-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Well, that was a read and a half but an entertaining one. How's the car doing now?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 AM

The last straw ended up being the catalytic converter needed replacing about May. So I traded it in on a Subaru Outback. It's not as fast, or as cool, but it's damn reliable. And it works out better as Husky transport. Sorry for the long saga, and the unhappy ending (for the car at least) but thanks for asking.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Well, not to get too much further in, you probably made a good decision; however, don't let this sway you. These cars are beauties. Sure, GM effed up here and there but in no way would I trade my, for the most part, reliable, powerful, smooth boat of a car for a small import as my daily driver. Although my bud has an Outback and it's not a small powerless vehicle.

What I'm tring to say is, next time you are looking for a car, don't forget the MC. Hate Blue and his corrupt used car salesperson way. Have another look.

I shouldn't say but a downpipe and cat with a ubend delete is only $89.99 at zzp and you get more HP out of it. Plus it's 4 bolts and one O2 to change out into the new one.

Enjoy your Subaru. Hope to see you back here some day.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Wow! I read thru all the posts. I am sorry your experience with your Monte wasn't a pleasant one. I think it was more the case of a dirtbag car lot and inexperienced mechanics than the car it self. Running the car with improper emissions caused the cat to go bad I'm sure. I hope you didn't get hosed real bad when you traded for your Suby. The Monte is a fine car and so is the Suby. When I got my Monte it also was missing parts too. In my case however I was full aware and I only paid 400.00 for mine. I bought a few parts, reassembled the car and drove it for close to two years with no breakdowns. I have parked it now until I can start a restoration. Three Car seats, baby's, leaky T-tops, no heat or a/c, and Monte Carlos don't mix well. Even though your Monte is gone I hope you stick around the forum, it's a good place to be. Gregg

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 12-13-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Wow, what a day...