New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Wayne

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Default Wayne

Hello,
To all fellow Monte Carlo owners who have attempted or were successful installing new roof rails on their 02, Monte, I happen to have a SS, which shouldn't make any difference, in this area.

The real headache, problem, etc. is when I install the new rails, they only adhere in some sections and very few of those.

I clean the area using the goo stuff, then use a prestep to clean all oils and dirt prior to installation.

It doesn't matter how much prep time I take, how thorough I am in cleaning etc., they will "not" adhere, the old rails were unsightly because they were coming loose, I have tried using a strong adhesion (automotive) for emblems, I have to hold down, then it's not uniform, leaving a high and low wavy rail.
I'm retired, but I think I'll go back to work just to get away from this nightmare.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not messed with roof rails....
But, when using the tape, was it 3M tape or cheap stuff? Also, did you run the tape down the length of the rail or just parts?

If I recall, we had a member who dropped his headliner and used screws from the inside out (which I would not be a fan of). I believe others used either silicon caulking or some form of liquid adhesive.