New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Transmission Goin Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Default Transmission Goin Out

I know the trans is going but how can I judge how long before it stops? I hear different whine sounds while driving when I have my foot on the gas and when I am coasting. If I take it easy from a stop no jerking. Had the mechanic drop the pan and change the fluid and there were not to many pieces of metal but I heard a clunk the other day. Problem is my wife has to make some hour long runs to get me to and from the hospital the next week. Anyway to judge if it will last another week or two? Any recomendations on local shops in the Little Rock area that can do a good rebuild would be great. We cant afford anything now with my new medical issues so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know when my transmission was going it was pretty much the same until the couple of days before it went it became dramatically worse. Just see if it gets worse or stays the same. Welcome to the forum. I guess it can depend on what part of the transmission is going to. I am sure someone with more knowledge will comment.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It could be your solenoid, this can go on for a long time before something needs to be changed (mines been well over a year now) and it might correct itself when you shut the car off for a while, the pressure builds up within the tranny lines causing the hard shift, and jerking like you are stuck in a higher gear, this is unfortunately also a sign of the torque converter.

Your best bet would be to see if a tranny shop will give you a free estimate and idea of what it actually is so that you will know where you stand.

Are you sure the whining sound is coming from the tranny? it could be the power steering pump causing the noise as well.

Does it throw any check engine codes?