New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Starting Hard When Engine is Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 04:09 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Starting Hard When Engine is Warm

I am having an issue where my 2003 Monte SS 3.8 is hard to start when at normal operating temperature. The car runs good once started the gas mileage is good, it is just hard to start after the motor is at normal operating temperature.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:14 PM

Maybe you can give a little more information. Is it cranking slowly ? Does it turn over a while before it starts ? Do you smell fuel ? Simple things like a tune up or fuel filter might help. If he battery week or starters bad it would also cause a issue.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What Jeff said!! I put a new battery in my car a year ago, I didn't think the old one was to bad, but the case was beginning to puff up some. The car used to crank a bit before now it's right there.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:38 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Mine turns over fine. It just doesn’t want to start without me playing with the gas pedal. It will start and shut down if I don’t keep it running for a couple of seconds with the gas pedal.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:07 PM

Start with a new fuel filter and the check fuel pressure. If I remember correctly it should be around 50ish psi.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Something that came to mind that you may want to have checked:

During the late 1990s, a problem developed with some General Motors vehicles that were recalled for engine backfire and subsequent damage to plastic intake manifolds. All of the vehicles that were involved were equipped with defective fuel pressure regulators. The defective regulators allowed combustible mixtures of air and fuel to accumulate in the intake manifold. When an engine backfired, the mixture ignited producing a pressure that caused the plastic manifold to burst. Since General Motors was aware of the problem in the late 90s, recalls were issued for 98-99 Buick Park Avenue, Buick LaSabre, Oldsmobile 88, and Pontiac Bonneville vehicles. Although various vehicle models manufactured between 1995 and 2002 were supposed to have been monitored, the Chevrolet Impala escaped notice. As a result, we recently investigated a 2001 Chevrolet Impala engine fire that was caused by the sequence of events described above. It should be noted that GM vehicles in the model year range previously stated are still on the road and could be potential fire hazards. If you feel that your vehicle might be a fire hazard, have it inspected. Remember that the sequence of events that leads to an engine fire occurs as follows: attempt to start in cold weather and then a loud popping sound followed by smoke and the appearance of flames from beneath the hood. Damage to one recently investigated instance is shown in the photographs shown below.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks I’ll check that.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:35 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Something that came to mind that you may want to have checked:

During the late 1990s, a problem developed with some General Motors vehicles that were recalled for engine backfire and subsequent damage to plastic intake manifolds. All of the vehicles that were involved were equipped with defective fuel pressure regulators. The defective regulators allowed combustible mixtures of air and fuel to accumulate in the intake manifold. When an engine backfired, the mixture ignited producing a pressure that caused the plastic manifold to burst. Since General Motors was aware of the problem in the late 90s, recalls were issued for 98-99 Buick Park Avenue, Buick LaSabre, Oldsmobile 88, and Pontiac Bonneville vehicles. Although various vehicle models manufactured between 1995 and 2002 were supposed to have been monitored, the Chevrolet Impala escaped notice. As a result, we recently investigated a 2001 Chevrolet Impala engine fire that was caused by the sequence of events described above. It should be noted that GM vehicles in the model year range previously stated are still on the road and could be potential fire hazards. If you feel that your vehicle might be a fire hazard, have it inspected. Remember that the sequence of events that leads to an engine fire occurs as follows: attempt to start in cold weather and then a loud popping sound followed by smoke and the appearance of flames from beneath the hood. Damage to one recently investigated instance is shown in the photographs shown below.
I have checked some different articles that talked about this. Do you know how hard it would be to change Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Palatka
I have checked some different articles that talked about this. Do you know how hard it would be to change Fuel Pressure Regulator?
Very simple...

Old 01-18-2020, 07:32 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte

That is on my to do list tomorrow, thanks. I saw the same video yesterday.

Quick Reply: Starting Hard When Engine is Warm