New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Question On Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Default Question On Engine Swap

First of all, since I'm new. I'm 20 years old, ended up w/ a 1997 Monte Carlo LS w/ a 3.1L V6. The car has been so far enjoyable, even won a couple drags w/ her. Named her Krystal.

Now for my question, though I can easily replace less important parts and increase horsepower, throttle response, etc etc. I've learned the Intake Manifold Gaskets are terrible, read of people having to replace them every 30,000 miles and resulting in holes in your pocket. In retrospect, I was wondering if there were any options for an engine swap, what can fit inside my monte carlo, or if there were manifold gaskets made of a different material you could buy to prevent this problem long term. I'm new to modding, only helping my friend w/ his VW GTX, and my cousin with his Suburu WRX for experience. What very little I do know tells me strait lines are my only hope right now, and am hoping for a little more diversity as well as my previous problem. Any help is appreciated, glad to be a part of the Monte Carlo forums.
sincerly,
NewFish

Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know where you read that, the failure rate is around 80-90k miles and when replaced with metal gaskets the issue is usually fixed for good.

If you want to swap you should be able to directly swap in a 3400, probably need some different sensors and such, if you were to swap to an L32, you will need the new engine wiring harness and transmission, assuming you have the 4t60e right now.

How many miles are currently on the engine?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

welcome to mcf!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM

There is approximently 119,000 miles on the engine. I didn't get much information from the previous owner, and honestly I've never learned how to find the technical name of an engine. To be completely honest my cousin fills me in on everything. From what I found online just about every replacement kit is "Fel-Pro" for my intake manifold gaskets. Saturday we found the oil in the water and vica versa, drove it home like a grandma and after I get copies from a friends mechanic's manual its going to be a "do-it-yourself" job. (kind of went overboard w/ the answer but hope it helps)

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Felpro is best because they have the metal gaskets, here is how you do it:

D-tips

LIM Gasket & Head Gasket Change Walkthrough & FAQ (3400) - Florida GM Club

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

One question, I notice its asking you to replace just about every gasket on the way down to the intake manifold gasket. Is it absolutely neccessary to replace all of that (or maybe it comes in the manifold gasket kit?), or can you clean the old gaskets (the ones i'm not intent on replacing) and put them back in after I replace my Intake Manifold Gasket? Also, is it possible I could get a link for specs on a 3400? (sorry for so many questions) and thanks for the welcome Turbo

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since you are asking so many "generally basic" knowledge questions in this thread... I am going to say unless you do a lot of research you shouldn't attempt an engine swap.

Replace the gaskets if you are taking something apart. I wouldn't reuse anything because you might not get the same seal after bolting it all back down. And you don't want to redo the job.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

i never reuse any gasket, once they are used once they are compressed and most likely dont seal right a second time

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM

yep yep you got that right, and no the engine swap idea is for much later, i've already got enough torn out for weight reduction I'm stickin w/ it, wouldn't be worth selling, plus it doesn't hurt to stay small til i have more experience. If anything i'd save money for a diff used car and use it as a small project and just upgrade this one enough to play w/ (lightly as it would still be my daily driver as well), the step by step instructions i was given should make it.. i won't say smooth, but w/ images i can point out everything and have general knowledge of what i'm doing as i go. i appreciate the help, work starts tmrw

Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Felpro is best because they have the metal gaskets, here is how you do it:

D-tips

LIM Gasket & Head Gasket Change Walkthrough & FAQ (3400) - Florida GM Club
This is good info right here. Welcome to the site.

Quick Reply: Question On Engine Swap