New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

NooB from Twin Cities who needs help with the Monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 02:13 AM
|
Default NooB from Twin Cities who needs help with the Monte

Hey Monte Carlos,

I just bought myself a 2002 silver Monte Carlo LS. It has 107,000 miles and a little crack on the back bumper and a little..I mean really little rust.(picture will be up soon) Nothing a little work cant fix. I paid $3000 for the car. I have some things in mind already but not really sure how and what to do. I came from a Neon SRT-4 to a Monte Carlo. Done with the whole street racing thing. Anyways.. I have some questions that needs answers. Please HELP!! No bad comment please. New B to Monte Carlo, still learning on these amazing cars

1). Where can I get a cheap Bumper??
2). Thinking on throwing some rims on.. I know 20's will fit fine, but I want to push it. Can I push 22's without doing anything else??
3). What is the Bolt patterns? 5x??
4). My car is over heating already. It keeps saying LOW COOLANT?? I check my coolant and its pretty full. I haven't really got time to get down and dirty but I was just thinking of bring it to the shop. IDK yet.

If anyone can help me out, please fill free to

Thank you all

02_silver_LS

Last edited by 02_silver_LS; 02-02-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2010 | 07:50 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site! Morad is a really good place to find parts for the Monte, they have an ebay store.

Old 02-02-2010 | 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

First off, welcome to the great world of Monte Carlos It's a shame you couldn't find an SS with the 3.8 engine, as you could (and would) have had MUCH fun with all the customization that you could do to that thing. The 3.4 isn't the best when it comes to aftermarket things, but it's still a Monte

Originally Posted by 02_silver_LS
1). Where can I get a cheap Bumper??
A lot of people (myself included) like to talk to Morad. MoradPartsCompany.com or just email Erik at Sales@moradpartscompany.com

2). Thinking on throwing some rims on.. I know 20's will fit fine, but I want to push it. Can I push 22's without doing anything else??
You can do 22s, but you will have a lower profile tire, and may need a spacer. IMO anything over 18" is going to mess with the suspension / braking systems and going to be a rougher ride. Possibly getting a nice 18" Rim with lowering the car can fill the wheel wells nicely and add to performance.

3). What is the Bolt patterns? 5x??
5x115

4). My car is over heating already. It keeps saying LOW COOLANT?? I check my coolant and its pretty full. I haven't really got time to get down and dirty but I was just thinking of bring it to the shop. IDK yet.
This could be nothing because you say that there is plenty of coolant. The coolant used is dex-cool, go get it flushed out and put new in (do this every year minimum every other) You also just may need a new thermostat and bleed the air out of the system or a new coolant sensor. However, know that the 3.4 is known for LIM gasket / Head gasket leaks if you don't take care of the dex-cool / car.

Old 02-02-2010 | 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Welcome!

As Chibiblacksheep already said, i'd keep an eye on your coolant level. Flush the cooling system, and refill with all fresh coolant. It could be a sensor, it could be the t-stat. If its not either of those simple things, then more than likely you have a bad head gasket, or lower intake gasket.

Also, I agree with Mike, anything more than 18" is not the greatest for the car itself, and will hinder your performance. Not to mention going with that large of a rim, even with low profile tires, you will have a rather large wheel diameter over stock. This will obviously throw off your speedo, and odometer, and more seriously, it is pretty bad/ stressful on your transmission.

Good luck!

Last edited by MAMONTE; 02-02-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2010 | 09:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

welcome to the board good to see another Minesotan for the bumper try giving AAA in rosemont a call

Old 02-02-2010 | 10:46 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome.

Old 02-02-2010 | 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

heyy! welcome to the forum!

Old 02-02-2010 | 11:13 AM
|

thanks for all the help MCF family. This is gonna really help me out. Yes it is to bad I didnt get a SS. Trust me I wanted one but couldnt find one cheap enough. I just want to get this on some rims and sell it so I can go and get an SS. Again Thanks everyone!

Old 02-02-2010 | 11:15 AM

Welcome. You probably have air in the cooling system. Bleed it at the bleeder valve by the T-stat and you should be good 2 go. X3 on the comments above.

Old 02-02-2010 | 12:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

if you need any help i am more than willing to lend a hand

Quick Reply: NooB from Twin Cities who needs help with the Monte