New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Noob to the board...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Default Noob to the board...

Hi,
Wanted to stop by and let you guys know that I was new here. No need to flame me hard or remind me to use the search button, I will try, thanks. I have a 1967 caprice with a 77 monte carlo 305(?). This car is sorta-of questionable description because the friend I bought it from was a little vague about the details. If you need I can provide # for pistons etc. I am going to google them too, but if you need some tech info from parts #'s feel free to ask. I have worked with F/I in 4 cylinders, so I have some knowledge, a set of bore guages, etc. Finally, what are the top N/A upgrades I can do for this engine? What is the story with F/I engines for these cars? Little info on who thinks what would be great. See ya.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Noob to the board...

hey, welcome to the site

no flame'n here, we're a friendly site

Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM

The 305HO isnt a bad engine, however from my experience with the Olds cutlass I had, then engine could use more. Common thing is to just pull it out and swap in a 350. Mine had leaks just about everywhere. I tore it all down and redid all the seals, and she ran great. I belive Crane Cams does make a nice cam setup for the car, and a crank. There are also high flow heads out there and valves. Its just that 350's are a bit more of a mainstream engine..

Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Well, after reading some more, it looks like this setup wouldn't be hard to turdbo. Any prescient suggestions on doing this? Turbo manifolds seem to be fairly cheap and at least I have a lot of room to work in vs. the stuff I did in the compact arena. Equipped with the 67 1,2 Powerglide, it seems that this thing might make a sorta nasty street car. Suggestions? Thanks ppl.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM

While reading about the 305 HO, I am running into problems trying to figure out specific things relating to the 2-bbl carb I have on there. Most of all, since it is the oem one, what type of choke does it have? Are there any easy ways to determine this? Sorry, I don't have much experience with carbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have done some searching through parts stores to try and figure it out but it alwaysgives me multiple options. Thanks!!

EDIT: Sounds like it is a rochester 2 bbl #17057376

Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM

[align=center]Hi liam,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What year is your 305 ?[/align][align=center]Below is a good link to give you information[/align][align=center]on the Chevy Small Block &[/align][align=center]fuel systems. I believe it is a rochester 2 bbl #17057376

Good Luck.
[/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...l-Block_engine[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]305
The 305 variant of the small-block Chevrolet had a displacement of 5.0 L (305 inĀ³) with a 3.736 in (95 mm) bore and 3.48 in (88.4 mm) stroke. The 262 was considered underpowered for use in vehicles with a wheelbase greater than 110", so GM engineers decided to increase the bore diameter from 3.671" to 3.736" and increase the stroke from 3.10" to 3.48" (from the 350). Some performance enthusiasts have noted a marked resistance to performance upgrades on the 305 because of its small bore, poor selection of aftermarket cylinder heads, and the relatively high availability of 350 inĀ³ engines.
Induction systems for the 305 included carburetors (both 2 and 4-barrel), throttle-body injection (TBI), tuned-port fuel injection (TPI), and sequential fuel injection (GM Vortec).[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.carburetorsandmore.com/rochester.htm[/align]

Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: liamrh
I have a 1967 caprice with a 77 monte carlo 305(?).

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM

I have a 1967 caprice with a 77 monte carlo 305(?).
I asked because of the ? question mark contained in your post.
Thanks for your time to search & post..It's really appreciated.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Oh, excuse me, I thought that we had confirmed that it was the 305 earlier in the discussion. For future reference, it is a 305.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM

I had a 305 Engine in a 76 Camaro L/T. I put-on an Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Intake Manifold and a 4-Barrel Carb. That set-up gave the Car a bit more Zip and both the Manifold and the Carb were bolt-on and go. Right out of the box and on the car without any fussing around with linkages and such.

The Edelbrock Carb is EASY to tune. Everything you need to do is external and there's no covers or gaskets to mess with. And, no Power Valve to blow-out like Holley.
Stop by a Speed Shop or look online for the their write-ups.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

Quick Reply: Noob to the board...