New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New & Need Help 02 stalling everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Default New & Need Help 02 stalling everywhere!

Hi,

I have a 2002 Monte SS with around 180,000 miles on it. Over the weekend I went out to dinner (car ran fine) then when I left it wouldn't start. My husband tried to start it but no luck. He took off the air filter and got it to start. While driving home on the highway it started bucking as if it was out of gas but he managed to keep it going then about 20 min later it stalled right in the middle of the highway.We ended up getting it towed home. He thought it may be a bad fuel filter so he replaced it and he checked some other stuff, MAF was also replaced about a month ago. (MAF is reading bad again even though it was replaced a month ago Ac delco part)It ran for a test ride and he thought it was fixed but then when we tried to start it later it kept stalling. Today he replaced the spark plugs and checked all possible things related to fuel. He took it for a ride 1/4 mile and it stalled again. I read it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Were going to replace it and hope it works but what else could it be? Help!

Last edited by ginger11; 01-18-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM

Welcome, is is throwing any codes?

The hesitation 'bucking' could be a clogged/failing CAT.
Especially noticeable at launch, from stop.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Welcome, is is throwing any codes?

The hesitation 'bucking' could be a clogged/failing CAT.
Especially noticeable at launch, from stop.

It's reading PO102 (MAF code) even thought the MAF was replaced a month ago. It was bucking prior to the MAF change but it never stalled now it's stalling and won't start most of the time.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have a standard air filter, or an oiled one?

If you suspect the MAF you can disconnect the sensor and try to start the car

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure about the air filter I'd have to ask my husband. If we unplug the MAF how long can it be driven like that? Can we go a few miles to test it or will that cause another problem?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the '02 was part of a warranty extention on the CAT (but I know you are WAY past the mileage on that extention).

The CAT *could* be a suspect area of some of your issues as Jomao_o said.

Chibi is on to a common problem seen with oiled air filters and the MAF. If their is too much oil on the filter, it makes it's way to coating the MAF. This prevents an accurate reading. There are sprays that can clean the MAF. Try what Chibi said (disconnect the MAF and see if the condition improves). If it does improve, go to the parts store and find a spray cleaner for the MAF and follow the directions. See if that resolves anything.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What The_Maniac said :P

Even a new MAF could go faulty unfortunately. Did you get any type of warranty on the part when it was purchased??

When I had that code, I cleaned my MAF (use ONLY MAF cleaner) but since that didn't work, I contacted MoradPartsCompany(.com) and they sent me a used one for MUCH cheaper than a new one and my problem was solved.

Also, was the car run without the air filter on?? That could get debris on the MAF (or worse, in the engine). There is a small screen on the Throttle Body, but it's just to redirect airflow, not really filter anything.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
What The_Maniac said :P

Even a new MAF could go faulty unfortunately. Did you get any type of warranty on the part when it was purchased??

When I had that code, I cleaned my MAF (use ONLY MAF cleaner) but since that didn't work, I contacted MoradPartsCompany(.com) and they sent me a used one for MUCH cheaper than a new one and my problem was solved.

Also, was the car run without the air filter on?? That could get debris on the MAF (or worse, in the engine). There is a small screen on the Throttle Body, but it's just to redirect airflow, not really filter anything.

I think it was the MAF. My husband took it off and it's running really well. I called the parts store and their replacing the defective one ( Just bought it last month AC Delco) As for the air filter he only took it off after it started having trouble.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM

How long can I drive the car without the MAF? It should be here within a day or so. Can I drive it today without the MAF?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ginger11
How long can I drive the car without the MAF? It should be here within a day or so. Can I drive it today without the MAF?
youll be fine for a day or so, it might just run rich i believe so the gas mileage might not be as good, you should put the air filter back in though, or replace it with just a normal fram filter, it may have a k&n in there which is getting oil in the MAF causing it to malfunction.

Quick Reply: New & Need Help 02 stalling everywhere!