New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Monte Owner 2001 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Default New Monte Owner 2001 SS

My name is Amy. Been dying to own a Monte Carlo for a long time, and finally took the plunge last week...Ron is a 2001 Super Sport black on black. I love the car, but have spent the past few days ironing out electrical fun things (headlights, hazard switch).

My latest chore is trying to get the radio to make sound, then onto the coolant elbows. I am looking forward to being able to talk to those in the know about these cars so I don't feel so alone, lol.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by songe-d-automne
My name is Amy. Been dying to own a Monte Carlo for a long time, and finally took the plunge last week...Ron is a 2001 Super Sport black on black. I love the car, but have spent the past few days ironing out electrical fun things (headlights, hazard switch).

My latest chore is trying to get the radio to make sound, then onto the coolant elbows. I am looking forward to being able to talk to those in the know about these cars so I don't feel so alone, lol.
i had to get mine working tonight take the pass side seat belt bolt out behind the pass seat pull the carpet up there's bunch of wires in there find the orange one there two going into one wire this wire can come apart or be all nasty clean it up and put in a little peace of wire should work good as new

Old 03-31-2017, 04:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Welcome, Amy! Congrats on finding a great MC.

Make sure to ask any questions you have about your car here @ MCF. These guys are extremely helpful and have a lot of experience with MC's.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome

Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF, Amy! Load some pics when you can!

Old 04-04-2017, 03:44 PM

This is my black beast. Ordered a bypass for the amp and driver's side mirror glass this week. Waiting on good weather for the elbows, then I see if the coolant leak is fixed.

New Monte Owner 2001 SS-012.jpg

New Monte Owner 2001 SS-011.jpg

New Monte Owner 2001 SS-010.jpg

Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Nice ride! Good luck with the elbows. It is not a hard job.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Default Elbows

Did the elbows in a little under an hour. Got the aluminum ones and added some gasket maker to the o-rings because I have heard they are crappy in a lot of cases. Did that yesterday. Today I burped the coolant system and all seems okay. Pesky "low coolant" light that always came on, did not during the short ride I took this afternoon, temp was stable.

The guy that sold it to me was under the impression that it needed a radiator. After much online research, I figured I would do the elbows first in the hopes that they were the actual problem, and yup, top side elbow was cracked inside the housing right around the o-ring.

Replaced mirror glass yesterday, and several days ago clipped on the amp bypass and have sound again. Now just the windshield seal, brake pads, and 2 new tires (rear ones have severe dry rot) and I can register it and then I can maybe say Life is Good, lol.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice, excellent way to start off with your Monte, from what I have read you have been extra busy giving it the old 1, 2, 3.

Scope out your tranny fluid. Does it look pinkish, is the fluids smell tolerable or does it smell foul? We need to be vigilant with these cars transmissions, if you are thinking the fluid is marginal it would be wise to schedule a tranny filter and fluid change. Scuttlebutt is we don't let them do a power flush as it may break away possible sludge build up and push it farther down stream and fouling up other areas and leading to some unintended tranny repairs.

Congrats, Ron is in great hands...