New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new to Monte Carlos

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Default new to Monte Carlos

Hey all,

Name is Dan, age 44,

Just found your forum..Reason I am here, my son bought his first car yesterday. a 2000 Monte Carlo. White, two door

Runs and drives great. the seller showed me two codes that is WAS throwing on the reader..it was something to the affect of Exhaust Gas "closed" performance mode......or something similiar to that. The original owner said he didn't even know that this car HAD a performance mode, or why that code would be reading.

Anyway..happy to be here and to learn more about my sons car since I'LL BE DOING ALL THE REPAIRS!! LOL

It does have some small rust around the fenders of the rear wheels. My son was wondering if there are any chrome decorative fender trim or fender flares out there that fit this vehicle?

Thanks again
Dan

Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum!!
If you take your car up to Oreillys or AutoZone, they will read your codes for free and you can write them down and come back on here and find out what they mean.
I, personally, would not try to cover up the rust at the wheel wells with fender trim or flares because the rust will continue to spread if not removed and the area repaired by you or a reputable shop.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM

Will do.

I wasn't thinking of just covering up the rust..but sanding down the rust, maybe applying some epoxy truck bed liner both inside the well and around the edge of the fender lip, then installing fender flares over it...so the problem would be fixed, and then some cool chrome fender flare over the top.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM

just pulled the codes again. They are:

P0141: Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 "pending"
P1404: Exhaust gas recirculatiaon closed, Position Performance "confirmed"

That's it

Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I hope I did not offend you by making it sound like I thought you would just cover up the rust.. There are some people who would do that
To get members to post to that particular fix, try starting a thread about rusted wheel wells and easiest/best way to repair.
Try reading through the following threads and it might get you going in the right direction on the codes
click-->Sticky: GM OBD II Trouble Code List
click--> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...ighlight=P0141
Click-->https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...ighlight=P1404

Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the fourn Dan. As far as the chrome wheel well trin try E-bay or CarID

I hace seen some around for Montes. I used them on my daily driver a 08 malibu

Last edited by Tadcaster; 08-27-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM

No offense taken at all P343....I am here to learn..even if it's my sons car. I want to keep it a good, dependable vehicle for him. So I'll continue to repair for him until he is financially able to do so on his own.

Thanks also for the links.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

No problem. We are here to help!!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum,

I like your idea about the quarter panel rust repair, simple & effective. The chrome flares I really can't see them "fitting in" the Monte doesn't have any chrome details anywhere on it I feel like that would look out of place, can't you guys maybe steer towards a black flare? Have your son plasti dip the wheels black too.... It'll look good on a white car with black accents. Plus the plastic chrome flares will chip and fade after just one winter season.

(just my 2 cents on the topic)

Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 PM

ooh...tell me more about the plasti dip on the wheels...they are currently stock rims, and I cleaned them up real good tonight. Yeah, I like the black fender flare idea too, then we could smoke the headlights and taillights, and then even do some black racing stripes down the center of the cars hood, roof and trunk.

I did find something else WRONG with the vehicle tonight..the gas gauge does not work..meaning, I know there is about a quarter tank of gas in it, but the needle floats from half to about 3/4 full..but that's it. Think it's the gauge or the sender? Hope it's an easy fix! I really don't care about the other "little" things that it needs, BUT, I WANT a working gas gauge.