New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new member saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Default new member saying hello

Hi, my name is Pete but go by zigyblu, I am 69 years old and retired since 2004 due to a working related injury that has had two surgeries with no improvements so I slid into retirement and just do what I can. I have my 4th Monte this one being a 2007 LT with only 32,500 miles on it. I just picked it up last week, too nice not to jump on. I just gave my 2002 to one of my grandsons who needed a car pretty bad so it worked out well for us. I wasn't planing on replacing the 02 until the fall when I put the convertible away for the winter. My first Monte was a 72 that was a sweet car, I had it painted in Imron paint with a mural on the trunk lid. The car was a dark midnight blue with black vinyl top. 350 cu in. The next one was a 74 that I and a friend who owned a shop did a frame off restoration project to that took 22 months to finish. It was also a 350 that was completely redone but in a mild manor. 327 chevy fuely cam, reworked the heads so that it could run the garbage gas back then, shift kit in the tranny, Hooker headers and stainless exhaust. The car was painted in Cadillac firemist silver blue paint with the same color landau top. Nice car, had no place to keep it for winter so I sold it in the spring to a buddy for his kid. Big mistake, his son was out racing it all over town until he broke it. 4 thousand chevys don't like being launched at every red light without them complaining. The 02 was a nice Ls that I bought in the beginning of 05 to be my winter car as I also had a 89 Olds Toro Trofeo that was my baby since 1990. The 02 Monte was a silver comfortable and reliable car and when my Grandson got it she had only 86,000 on the odometer. My hobbies are fresh water tropical fish, riding my Harley dresser around western new york and pennsylvania during the summer with friends on wednesdays. I have been riding since I was 19 years old. I enjoy music and movies and have 4 complete audio systems in the house and garage. One of them also is a audio/video set up that is pretty enjoyable. I like action adventure movies and drama, science fiction. the tv shows, the blacklist, Chicago PD and the Americans are some of my favorites to watch. Sports, baseball football golf and Nascar. That's about it for me. I hope that I can stick around but it's going to be tuff. I don't post alot on forums because i usually get my information by reading them. It keeps me out of trouble.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Thumbs up >Welcome<

Hi `Pete, aka Zigyblu
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family & thanks for your
great introduction post and history
Wish you good luck with your new to you 07 LT...Our members that have them have had good luck with their's + the 3.5L Engine has proven to be a great engine
One of our Moderator's had one & he went over 200K miles with very few problems.

Explore the MCF & EnJoy

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-24-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 PM

thank you BeachBumMike, I hope to have this one for at least as long as I had the 02. We only put 3000 miles on our summer car last year and the wife was working two days a week for half the year. I put more miles on the bike. The Monte will sit for quite a while. Thank you again for the welcome.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Arrow Enjoy your Monte 4-Sure!

You're Welcome ZigyBlu
Below for your viewing pleasure >EnJoy<
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Performance
Performance Score: 7.5 / 10 View More Photos »

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Performance Overview

Note: This performance review was created when the 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was new.
The 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo is praised for its respectable engine power, decent fuel economy, and overall smooth handling. Nevertheless, a bit of torque steer (where the car pulls to the side under hard acceleration) coupled with a front-wheel drive design draws doubt over its true performance capabilities. "If you are looking for a performance coupe that really lets you get involved with the drive, the Monte Carlo may be too tame for you," says Kelley Blue Book. BusinessWeek adds, "It's tough to get cozy with the idea of a serious performance car that isn't rear-wheel drive... But take a turn behind the wheel; give it a chance." While the Super Sport (SS) is outfitted with a V8 engine, all other trim levels come equipped with a V6.
Acceleration and Power

The Monte Carlo LS and LT are powered by a 3.5L V6 engine with advanced Variable Valve Timing (VVT) -- which uses an electronically controlled camshaft to pump out 211-hp and 214 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 RPM. The Super Sport (SS), however, is powered by a stronger 303-hp 5.3L small block V8 and makes 323 lb.-ft of torque at 4,400 RPM. According to BusinessWeek, "The infusion of V-8 power means that Monte Carlo SS owners are no longer condemned to motor toothlessly around the parking lot at Talladega or Martinsville looking silly in their V-6 pretend stockers -- all decal, no cattle. The bark of that 303-hp V-8 is plenty convincing."
While Car and Driver says that the "basic Monte is sluggish," Consumer Guide claims that every 2007 Monte Carlo is "peppy from a stop, regardless of engine." The truth, however, more than likely lies with Motor Trend's assertion that the "V-6 gets the job done."
Both the LS and LT boast an EPA estimated fuel economy of 21/31 mpg (city/highway). Using E85 (a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline), they only make 16/24 mpg - but help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and make slightly better horsepower and torque levels due to higher octane ratings than unleaded gasoline. While Kelley Blue Book boasts that "the V6 gives good performance and fuel economy," Consumer Guide asserts that there's "no difference in acceleration using E85."
Although the SS doesn't function on E85, its V8 engine earns a respectable EPA fuel economy of 18/27 mpg. Consumer Guide notes, however, that while "Monte Carlos use regular-grade fuel. Chevy recommends premium for V8s." Even so, overall gas mileage can be enhanced through the SS' Active Fuel Management system -- which uses all eight cylinders when drivers require power during acceleration and passing, but only four cylinders when better gas mileage is desired, such as during highway cruising.
Though all 2007 Chevy Monte Carlos come equipped with a standard Hydra-Matic 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive -- the SS sports a "heavy duty" version. "This smooth-shifting transmission is renowned for its durability and strength with high-torque engines," says the Bergen (N.J.) Record.
Handling and Braking

While Motor Trend reports "reasonably crisp, precise steering gears that make a long sweeping curve or a tighter backroad ess-bend easy to control," Edmunds asserts that "the Monte Carlo is primarily a comfortable cruiser that's more at home in the fast lane than on twisty mountain roads." Autobytel agrees -- warning that the "SS's new 303-hp spec looks fantastic in a magazine ad but expect a lot of torque steer off the line and nose-heavy handling around tight corners."
All 2007 Chevy Monte Carlos are outfitted with a four-wheel independent suspension -- the SS', however, is performance-tuned to have stiffer spring rates and larger stabilizer bars. Altogether, reviewers agree with Kelley Blue Book's assessment that the Monte Carlo has a "soft" suspension that's "tuned more for cruising than bruising." In fact, Consumer Guide reports that road-feel is "never harsh."
Nevertheless, reviewers across the board complain of the 2007 Monte Carlo's front-wheel drive design. "A front-engine/rear-drive layout is typically preferable for optimum weight distribution and balanced handling, especially when that engine is a heavy V8," says Edmunds. Kelley Blue Book takes it one step further, complaining that "ultimate performance is limited by the constraints of a front-wheel-drive system attempting to get 303 horsepower to the pavement and still maintain some level of manners." Nevertheless, BusinessWeek asserts that "a proper front-drive burnout is both doable and enjoyable without awkward skittering left to right."
While every Monte Carlo comes equipped with 4-wheel disc brakes, only the LT and SS offer an anti-lock brake system (ABS) and Electronic Traction Control with Corner Brake Control (CBC) standard. These features, however, are available options for the LS trim.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site

Old 03-25-2016, 04:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi Pete and welcome to the site! Great to have you here. Forum like this is the best way to make new friends and learn something new about a passion that runs deep. Hope you stick around and find it useful!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome! This is probably the most friendly and welcoming forum that I've ever seen.