New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New member - passing through

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM
js1
Default New member - passing through

Hi all. Joined the forum to help my sister sell the family 1979 Monte.

My dad bought it new, and when he moved to his first Grand Marquis, he gave it to my sister. Though the Monte is in great shape for its age, it has barely been driven over the last 10 years, and she needs the space. She was casting around for someone to take it, but the people who were likely to take it would have treated it as a 30 year old beater. It deserves a better fate, which is why I'm here.

Anyways, since I'm "just passing through", I'll say hello and get a listing up shortly in the "For Sale" area.

js1

Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

We frown upon people joining just to sell stuff. You are more than welcome to join and stay a while, but if you are here just to sell the car, your post will be deleted.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
js1

Yeah, I just wandered over to the "for sale" section, and saw the min 25 posts/one month rule because of scammers. I can understand that...

Anyways, I'll hang around a bit, though I'm not sure how much I can contribute. If we were talking about 1964 Dodge Polaras, then I'd have something to say .

js

Old 11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Bummer! I'd like to see pic's.......Better yet why has it sat for the past ten years and why is it even considered as a part of the family to dis-own? Js1 I would aurgue with you the point of those seeking to buy treating her as a thirty year old beater as apposed to simply seeking the best price in thier favor, If she,s a one family owned 3rd gen in great or even good shape I would check collectors value and post it on auction sites with the appropriate reserve or craigs list with a set and best offer. Better yet keep it in the family and check the nieces and nephews..one of them may have thier head above water. IMO Jarhead

Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have been using an unwritten rule in moderating the for sale section. Here in Michigan a vehicle is considered an "antique" when it is 25 years old. That is MY definition of a classic. By that rule, your Monte is 31 years old, and would qualify. Please note that the 25 post and/or rule is at the discretion of the staff. We do frown on those that post and run. We have NOT enforced the 25 post rule since I have been a moderator, and as long as the Monte Carlos for sale are classics, I will not delete the posts. I can not speak for the others, and Matt has all ready said he frowns on the "post and run". Please hang around and try to contribute. Post some NICE pics of your car, a decent description, and we will take it from there. No guarantees.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Photobucket
3 Year Member

Cool lets see some pics of this '79

Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

79 monte, that was the smaller body style right, not the big boat style?? i would like to see pics also!!!

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 11-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Photobucket
3 Year Member

Chris they let the boat drift away in '77, '78 marked the new body as well as the intro of the SS model and if I'm correct they had the landau roofs as well as t-top options. some one please correct me if wrong. sat next to a really nice '80 last nite at taco bell where the guy has been the only owner, recieved it as a grad gift from the police acad. Loaded it with a 396 pushed out to a 401 and she's vey nice.

Attached Thumbnails New member - passing through-79-monte.jpg  

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 11-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
js1

Why did it sit for so long? My sister and husband had a number of cars/trucks, and this one stopped seeing regular usage about 10 years ago. Her husband passed away 5 years ago (at a much too young age), and since then the car has sat. Her husband was fanatical about how he took care of things, so it was always well cared for.

Here's a picture that was taken just before he passed away. Next weekend, I should be able to take nicer ones, and will post them then.

As far as my "beater" comment, I'll try to explain better. She had offered it to my son, but he can't really afford the punitive insurance and running costs now, and to quote him, "it isn't his kind of car...". She was going to offer it up to her friend's kids, as a cheap car that they could drive. Maybe one of them would take it, but I doubt that they would have much affection for it.

I know that there probably aren't many of these cars around in this kind of shape, and I just think that it would be a pity for it not to get to someone who's really into Monte Carlos.

It has 123,000 miles on it. Engine is 4.4l, dual carb. I know that there will be a bunch of other questions to answer, so I'll do a full bio on it next weekend, which will include the good and the bad. If there's anything that you want to know about it, let me know.

js

Attached Thumbnails New member - passing through-monte.jpg  

Last edited by js1; 11-29-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Photobucket
3 Year Member

I may have been a bit brash with my comments, don't really have a full filter between thought and expression . I just do think for every great ole core out there is a fanatic looking for it and your comments as to the young kids not giving it enough attention shows to me you do realize what you have. Do you know if your father ordered or grabed it from the lot. seems that motor may have been a order option which I'm not sure will make a dif since the new owner will swap out...wheres Justin? This is more up his alley. The car appears to be complete stock right down to the wire hubs......road trip to Canada or RJ will just have to make space in the barn.

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 11-29-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: New member - passing through