New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New member looking for opinions on a 1988 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Default New member looking for opinions on a 1988 Monte Carlo

I've always loved monte carlos, and especially the G-body era. I found one for sale and it seems to have had a lot of work done to it, but i'm not sure if it is worth me buying.

The owner put in a rebuilt 350 from a 70's vette, edelbrock performance intake, 650 cfm carb, mild cam, mallory distributor and updated the exhaust. Plus general work to suspension and brakes. The car's interior is great and the exterior is solid, tho painted flat black (which I like), though can be signs of bad body work???

I'm unsure about the engine swap. As I really want this as my daily, and hear these are not the best 350's out there (70's era) in terms of power output as well as fuel economy).

The price is 3000 with a safety.... Seems too go to be true.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Hi & Welcome to the MCF

I love 4th Gen Monte Carlo's....With the infor you posted it is to difficult for me to advise

350's are a great engine`if they were modified correct & there are so many factors to determine MPG's with the infor that you posted....

Is it a automatic ? Is it the factory transmission or has it been changed...What gear is the rear end ?

We would love to see pic's & read more about it...
I suggest seeking out a good body man to inspect and if you are not a mechanic, I also suggest finding a friend/family member to assist you in your pursuit on getting a Monte that has been modified...

Wish you good luck & I hope you post more infor...

Check Back on your thread to see what our expert member's posts on your questions......

Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM

1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlos for Sale | Used on Oodle Marketplace

Click above link to compare same/similar type Monte Carlo's

Here's one below (Is yours in Canada ?)

Brodhead, KY

Lookin to sell or trade my 88 Monte Carlo SS, It has a v-8 350 out of a 69 camero, T-Tops, Rally rims, A shift kit, Powered windows, tilt...

Marketplace User ·Over 4 weeks ago on SuperAds

Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM

i wouldnt know, i would do a bit more research. welcome to the forum, lets us know what else you find out about it. good luck

Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM

welcome!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have to find out the details regarding the gearing. It is an automatic. I would not be able to check it out for the body, so there is a risk in buying it. One thing that confuses me is the difference between a $15 000 1988
Monte and 3000 1988. I was always under the impression that a rebuilt 350 block is worth at least 1500.

Regardless, the I will have to take the seller on his word regarding the quality of workmanship and the body, whether it is nothing but bondo or was done properly.

Here is the ad:

1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe - Oshawa / Durham Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks for posting your link on the Monte you are interested in.
It will help our member's give better advice or their thoughts on this Monte ~> Keep doing your research/homework & prepare a complete list of questions that you have for the owner...Good Luck
1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe

View larger image

Date Listed 31-Jan-13 Price $3,000.00 Address Pickering, ON L1W 1G3, Canada
View map For Sale By Owner Make Chevrolet Model Monte Carlo Trim SS Year 1988 Kilometers 158000 Body Type Coupe (2 door) Transmission Automatic Colour Black Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD) Type Used

very clean, very straight monte. it's got a number of new and upgraded parts which include: a recently rebuilt 350 out of a 70's vette with edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 650 cfm carb, mild cam (sounds awesome!), mallory distributor. the motor itself has about 25k on it and pulls hard! the exhaust is 2.5" pipes going into a set of flowmaster 40's. i just did a complete brake job which included hubs/ rotors, pads and inner and outer wheel bearings. the interior is very clean and gets lots of compliments. it also a brand new set of bfg radials on it as well as a new sony xplod deck and 1000 watt amp. can be sold with a safety if so desired.

it's a great car but i've just lost interest and want to get rid of it to buy a motor for my new toy. as well as clear up some driveway space. price is negotiable and no reasonable offer will be turned away. thanks for looking

Last edited by Space; 02-04-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Any suggested question for the owner from you guys would be appreciated. I would just like a nice daily driver, that I'll enjoy sitting it driving to work, etc. everyday. I am going to do research on the engine and exhaust mods to see what sort of differences they will make. I know worst case scenario if the the transmission is on the way out a complete rebuilt where i live is 1400.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the Forum, dont.look like its too had of a car

Quick Reply: New member looking for opinions on a 1988 Monte Carlo