New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member here

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Smile New Member here

My names is Tim, I'm 43 and just bought a 2002 Monte Carlo LS last week. It needs a few things did to it but I know my way around cars so I'll do good. I own a small engine repair shop so I am good with fixing anything with an engine. Thanks for having me on here. Happy New Year all. Also is there anyone on here in or near Statesville N.C.?

Old 01-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Welcome to the forums Tim .

Old 01-08-2020, 03:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi, Tim and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your Monte Carlo, show it to us when you can. Lots of know legible and friendly folks here as well as informative and insightful discussion threads. Be sure to reach out if any help needed!

Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF, Tim!

Old 01-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Not to bad for $500.00 huh? The only thing is, she had 287,418 miles on her. How many miles does these cars average? Still runs good and shifts good tho.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member

If it moves under its own power, its worth $500...... I used to have an '03 SS that looked a lot like your LS.

I didn't buy my '07 SS new and although I don't know how the previous owner treated it, I have a pretty good idea .................... I had to replace the transaxle at 82K miles. It has just over 85K on it now. I have read horror stories of having to replace them at 45K and stories of never having to replace it with over 200K. It's a crap shoot for sure. All you can do is baby it the best you can and cross your fingers. I don't expect to ever have to replace this one again, since I will baby it from day 1. I still change the oil every 3K miles, although it takes me a while to accumulate those miles, and I treat the engine with ZMax at every change. I have had zero engine troubles out of this car.

I've had mine for 7 years and have done some rust repair, a total repaint, transaxle replacement, and was rear-ended and totaled out last June. My car is still strong. I expect I'll get tired of it and sell it long before its useful life is over. I hope you get to enjoy yours for a long time as well.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Hello Tim. Just joined yesterday and notice you were in Statesville NC. I am just a few miles south. Officially, in Kannapolis but actually live between Kannapolis and Mooresville. Just a couple miles from the Earnhardt shops on NC3.

Just purchased a "well" used 2004 Monte Carlo SS from a neighbor. It is black and appears to be an intimidator version but is NOT. Currently has 225K on it but the previous owner took great care of it. He worked as a mechanic and performed all the work himself and keep the records. I have some items on my bucket list for the car (don't we all) including upholstery on the front seats and general maintenance. Really need to put a gear under the car. Engines seems to produce power but it never makes it to the ground with the high gear the car has from the factory. Need the gear to wake up the car and put it in the same league as some of my other toys. (Do not fear the gear!)

During the week, I work in the Raleigh area and have a house in Garner (south Raleigh) so I have both sides of the state covered. Hopefully we can meet up sometime in the future. Have not figured out where they hold any car shows or cruises in that area but maybe meet up at some meeting.

Jack

Old 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Welcome!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:41 AM
Default New member and new to to using any form.

I am a truck tech at a Peterbilt dealer and my granddaughter was willed a 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt edition. I sat while she got her drivers lic and it got flooded into the floorboard of the car. This flood has rusted the six way power seat drive screws, tracks and motors. I have removed the seats and there is no water in the electrical connections, I can run the motors by supplying power to the appropriate terminals, I has cleaned the screws and tracks, the motors run and will drive the cables but the motors are not strong enough to move the tracks, If I apply resistance to the tracks drive screws the screws stop moving. I believe gear boxes and or transmissions from the motors to the screws may be damaged.
Can these transmissions be repaired and or replaced? I have been looking online and cannot find much good information nd or complete track assemblies.
I appreciate any assistance.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trucktech
I am a truck tech at a Peterbilt dealer and my granddaughter was willed a 2002 Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt edition. I sat while she got her drivers lic and it got flooded into the floorboard of the car. This flood has rusted the six way power seat drive screws, tracks and motors. I have removed the seats and there is no water in the electrical connections, I can run the motors by supplying power to the appropriate terminals, I has cleaned the screws and tracks, the motors run and will drive the cables but the motors are not strong enough to move the tracks, If I apply resistance to the tracks drive screws the screws stop moving. I believe gear boxes and or transmissions from the motors to the screws may be damaged.
Can these transmissions be repaired and or replaced? I have been looking online and cannot find much good information nd or complete track assemblies.
I appreciate any assistance.
Your best bet is to find as Salvage yard and get a seat out of a donor car and put that in y0our car. I have done that and it was successful. You can also just use the mechanicals of it and apply your seat.

Quick Reply: New Member here