New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member- 96 monte 3.1 L Fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Default New Member- 96 monte 3.1 L Fuel pump problems

Hi Guys,

First time poster...
I bought my 96 monte carlo about 14 months ago for 600 bucks. its got 180,000 miles now

A couple months ago, i started having trouble with the fuel pump(and a leaking brake line we fixed without too much pain)

Anyhow, my dad showed me that a rubber mallot, or a stomp in the back seat could get it going as well. That has got me by since about july or so thank god.

Anyhow, i think it finally bit the dust. The car wont start, it cranks all day but no start. I have found the parts at O'reilly's
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0025

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0025

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...996&vi=1056439

I already have a new fuel filter as well, as the old one the original.
I am assuming i am going to need the straps after 180,000 miles in the Northern Illinois.

I found a shop that said about two hours work, 140 bucks. Do you think this is worth doing for that? Its going to be like 125 for the parts, so 265 total. Do i need to get a new relay or anything like that? I am pretty sure that its just the fuel filter, but is there anything else that tends to go?

Sorry for putting this in new members, but i am a new member and i am needing some help!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think you should be fine with the fuel pump and filter. I wouldnt even take it to a shop honestly. Replacing a fuel pump isnt that hard. You would just need a jack and 4 stands, a hose to siphon out the gas with, a helping hand and some basic hand tools. Empty the tank as much as possible and then jack up the car and put the stands under, one in each corner. You can put the jack under the tank now, remove the filler neck from the fuel tank, unbolt the straps and have a friend lower the tank down enough to reach above and unplug the wires and the fuel lines from the pump. Then drop the tank all the way down and slide it out from under the car. Then just remove the old pump, it will either be held in by screws/bolts or it will twist in or both. The new pump should just go back in the way the old one came out. Make sure you put in the new gasket that comes with the pump. If it doesnt come with one, reuse the old one if its in good shape. Then slide the tank back in and reinstall it the same way you took it out. After its in and the lines, filler and wires are all connected, turn your key to run and prime the pump, make sure you have no leaks before you start the car. Hope this can help save you a few $$$. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also check your fuel tank pressure sensor. Mine's gone bad and I have similar mileage to you, so just make sure it's working so you don't have to go thru the headache of dropping the tank again to replace it.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

heyy! i'll let the other guys who have 5th gens tell ya whats up lol but anyway welcome to the forum! and good luck!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Well the car is not driveable at this time, and between school and work i dont have the time to possibly mess with it in a timely matter. My car is stuck downtown and i really cant do that work here.

Found a tow for 20 bucks, should be getting it done tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should be fine with just the fuel pump and filter...I've never done a fuel pump on a Monte, but I did it with my dad on our 89 silverado...as MRL390 said, its not THAT bad. The biggest pain is dropping the tank, but with two people its not bad.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if you got a quote for $265 for parts & labor, well thats a helluva bargan for doing a fuel pump, i've had problems finding a new sending unit that cheep. only major thing to concider is if you trust the shop, some shope will do some shoddy repair work if its that cheap, and like everyone else has said if you have a weekend, a set of ramps & tools, and some mechanical know - how, dropping the tank on one of these is not too horrible...

good luck with the repair, and welcome to the forum

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Welcome to the forums and hope you get your ride up and running soon.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 AM

Nice post....lol

Quick Reply: New Member- 96 monte 3.1 L Fuel pump problems