New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Default New Member....

Wassup everyone, I browsed this forum for a few weeks and finally decided to join up... I got my monte (2006 3.5LS) maybe 2 weeks ago and I love the car... Its 100% percent stock, but hopefully that'll change soon. I know ish about cars so I'm going to need you guys help. Im 19, college student and this is my first car.! I got it for a little over $7000... The car is pretty clean, minor scratches, has around $8700 miles... It needs a new thermostat and thats about all... Im looking to add in a new radio (I have questions about this later), exhaust and maybe sum head/fog lights...

About the radio, I found and liked this one

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-60-Da...pr_product_top

would it fit in my car without me screwing anything up? What all do I need to install this item??? Remember I have an 06 3.5LS... please help, thanks guys/gales

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome.

That's a nice looking deck.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Nice system. Not sure if it would fit in your Monte or not (without modifying your dash). From the look of it in the picture, it looks like it would be a tight fit. The ad has the dimensions. Have you measured the size of the hole you have in your dash? I have a 2004, and the dash is slightly different. Otherwise I would measure for you.

Product Specifications
Display Type: LCD monitor
Height (inches): 3.9 inches
Width (inches): 7 inches
Depth (inches): 6.8 inches
Weight: 4.9 Pounds

Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Welcome!

Fancy lookin' radio system you have spec-ed out. I have an '04 Monte and I'm willing to bet your '06 has similiar issues my '04 has with swapping the radio. The door chime runs through the radio and it is the "user friendly" interface to adjusting the key fob settings and reseting the oil life monitor and tire monitor.

I just wanted the ability to play MP3s on CD and found the MP3 radio from an '04-'05 Cavvy/Venture Van would replace my stock radio with no problem (just need someone with a Tech II to program it). I successfully did that and lost NOTHING (and LOVE it).

GM really changed the world of car stereos since the last car I changed a radio on (my '94 Grand Am). So, make sure to do your homework.

OH and checking Crutchfield.com may also be a good resource for knowing if it will fit.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good point maniac! I forgot about that.

All the chimes, warning sounds, and such run through the stock radio like Maniac said. But the OnStar goes through the stock radio also. So if you're using OnStar (or plan on using it), your best bet would probably be another GM radio.

I do like that Sony system though. That would look great in your Monte! If you get it, I suggest some kind of security system in your car. It may not 100% prevent theft of your high-end system. But will deter most opportunist thieves.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

welcome, sounds like a pretty good deal on the car. Almost anything you want to know about it can be found right here on MCF.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Good point maniac! I forgot about that.

All the chimes, warning sounds, and such run through the stock radio like Maniac said. But the OnStar goes through the stock radio also. So if you're using OnStar (or plan on using it), your best bet would probably be another GM radio.

I do like that Sony system though. That would look great in your Monte! If you get it, I suggest some kind of security system in your car. It may not 100% prevent theft of your high-end system. But will deter most opportunist thieves.
i did check tt site... they didnt say my radio wuldnt fit jus suggested i buy this $150 attatchment to enable onstar... but goin through that site id b paying almost $425 for the stero n the on star thing... is that really needed.? it also askd me sumthn about an amp like with or without amp which one wuld i have.... idea.?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MF4L
i did check tt site... they didnt say my radio wuldnt fit jus suggested i buy this $150 attatchment to enable onstar... but goin through that site id b paying almost $425 for the stero n the on star thing... is that really needed.? it also askd me sumthn about an amp like with or without amp which one wuld i have.... idea.?
The adaptor/wiring harness you're seeing for $150 is not the same type of harness we used to see with these cars (which was a simple adaptor or pass-through). If I recall from my research, that $150 harness (and I've seen it as low as $100 at one point), I believe splits off some of the connections. To keep use of OnStar and some other vehicle-to-radio specific features it allows your to relocate your stock radio (an idea I despise, if I'm changing the radio, I want it GONE). But it also allows you to install your aftermarket unit and interface with the onboard amp in the car (I admit, I am not super savvy about the amp situation in these cars).

There are some "cheaper" harnesses I saw at one point where you give up on the vehicle-to-radio interface and OnStar that allow installing an after market stereo and I think they let you add your own speaker for the door chime if you choose.

Bottomline, in my opinion, a big pain in the butt. And I was just looking for MP3 on CD (which I was willing to abandon the wheel controls, the stereo I was eying up was the same one I put in my Grand Am for $150 out the door was going to be near double to do that in my Monte and it just did not make sense for what I wanted to gain). I was so thrilled about a month ago to have a GM factory deck with the one added feature I wanted ($42 from eBay shipped to my door).

Quick Reply: New Member....