New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Indiana Member

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Default New Indiana Member

Hey all...........Don here.

This February, I (more or less) inherited a 1985 Monte Carlo. It was my stepmother's aunt's car until she became too old to be behind the wheel. They took it from her and parked it in their driveway. For months and months I was screaming at my father to let me have it, as it was no being used other than maybe once in a blue moon just to fire it up.

Finally, I coerced him into giving it to me as an early "wedding gift".

As a backstory, the aunt that drove this car was the original and only other owner (i'm not counting my father, he parked it, he didnt use it). In the trunk I found every single drivers registration and even the original bill of sale when she bought the car brand new in 1985. She didnt drive it much, only to the necessary places like the store and church (so I was told).

When I took this vehicle from my father, it only had 44K miles on it. My stepmom said that when they had the title turned over to them, they didnt have the odometer verified, but it was indeed 44K and had not had the slightest chance of being flipped. He had put in a new battery and brand new tires. Nothing else had been done to the vehicle other than an oil change. (Like I said, he didnt drive it so I'm surprised he had the oil changed). The body is in overall great condition. Very minimal rust here and there and the grill has a little bit of a crack in it. truth be told I think the aunt hit something as you can tell there is just something fuzzy about the front end, but you would never notice unless you were literally working right there. Car runs well for it's age, and the past few checks at the gas pump I was getting around 20mpg or just a hair more.

Weeks after taking it from him, the alternator crapped out on me, so I replaced it myself. It was probably the easiest thing I've ever done to a vehicle as I'm not used to being able to almost climb into the engine bay and do any work!

Needless to say, that is what I'm here for. I've never dealt with a vehicle this old before. I'm not looking to do anything really to this vehicle other than maintain it and keep it running smooth. IF something should seem reasonable to do to it without breaking the bank, then I might consider it, but I'm not looking to swap engines, add a ton of horsepower, or anything like that. So far, I have added window tint for privacy and a new set of in dash speakers to replace to worn and distorted factory speakers.

In a nutshell, that was my intro. Hope to do a bit more reading and lurking and hopefully I'll ask the right questions and get some answers from you experienced members!

Thanks. Here's a picture from earlier in the year with a fresh wash. (Dont have a new picture as rain and sprinkler water have left hard water spots on it and I havent had a chance to clean her up yet with another wax job!)

Name:  washed.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  80.1 KB

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice 4th Gen Monte, welcome to the Forum. Where about in Indiana are you located?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don:
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for joining the MCF Family. Lots of Great Info and People here!
I too use to have an 85 Monte Carlo,
I loved that car. It drove like a dream and I got some really good fuel mileage out that 305 under the hood! I'm sure once you clean her back up shes gonna shine like a diamond again! Your one of the Lucky few that still has all the paper work for it! That's something that's awfully hard to find... Let alone hang on to..... So, as I understand it your the 2nd owner
That's friggn awesome... That also allows you to know where its been as well what it has been driven like over the years...despite the years it sat. It sounds to me like all that you can expect is to have to do is general maintenance from time to time. That's something that is expected.

Feel free to post pics of it in your garage... So other member can also appreciate this really nice RWD Monte Carlo!

Feel free to also join in on the daily blog and keep us posted on how the cars doing or if you need any help with anything!
Welcome to the best forum on the Planet!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM

I am located in Avon. Forgot to add in my post that the ride is a 4.3l v6 (not the ss... bummer).

Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PyroMonte627
I am located in Avon. Forgot to add in my post that the ride is a 4.3l v6 (not the ss... bummer).
Theres nothing wrong with having a V-6! The fuel mileage is still going to be great! ... Mine had the 305 because it wasn't a SS...it was a dealer demo CL (custom Luxury) fully loaded with all the bells and whistles...
We will do our level best to help you in any way needed for sure. I still think
as a fellow Monte Carlo owner/enthusiast... To have you here and willing to share your awesome Monte Carlo with us.... Thanks for being here and we look forward to hearing from you and enjoying it on a daily basis...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Hi Don & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family..

You are a lucky man to get that super Monte Carlo 4-Sure..
Look forward to all your future posts.

Explore the MCF & EnJoy

Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Welcome to the greatest forum on the palnet of Earth!!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: New Indiana Member