New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new guy from utah

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Default new guy from utah

Hey, I just registered because I'm looking at getting a monte carlo and having a project car. 81-88 MC's have been my favorite cars since i was 16 or so. I'd like to swap in an ls1/t56 eventually. I'll probably do an SS body conversion until then.

Anyways, I found one locally that I can get for $500. It turns over, but it won't start. The guy says it's a fuel problem of some kind, like a fuel pump. It sat for a few years. He says the 4.3 was rebuilt recently and the tranny is pretty new. Now I know sitting for 3 years can cause a few problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

the body has a few dents and it looks like the previous owner tried to do a general lee spray paint job, which is pretty.. interesting.

So, for $500, is it a deal, or should I keep looking?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

heyy! welcome to the forum! personally if i had the chance to buy a 4th gen ss for that cheap i would do it & restore it but it all depends how much work you wanna have to do & all bcuz the car obviously is in serious need of a new paint job for sure lol is there any rust on it?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:46 AM

i checked underneath and it looked ok. my wife's truck is covered in rust and I'll never work on a car again that's that rusty!! it's a huge pain, so that's one of the first things I checked for.

I think i'm going to get it, for $500, why not, right?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by oltorf
i checked underneath and it looked ok. my wife's truck is covered in rust and I'll never work on a car again that's that rusty!! it's a huge pain, so that's one of the first things I checked for.

I think i'm going to get it, for $500, why not, right?

Hi `John, & Welcome to the MCF
I agree, for only $500 why not
Do you have the place/tools/knowledge to do the work yourself ?
What degree are you working towards ?
Good Luck & keep us updated.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM

I don't really a good place to work on it, so I figured for now i'd just get it running and fix up the interior and stuff. I rebuilt the engine to my 94 camaro a few years back and when I sold it at 230K miles it ran just fine, so i have some decent mechanical knowledge. My biggest problem is that I have no garage, but I have a cousin that lives here that may let me borrow his place. The biggest problem is money. My wife works and I'm a student, and since we're trying pretty hard to pay down debt and save money, my car budget consists of whatever I make donating plasma, which comes out to about $250 a month. Oh yeah, and time. I'm working on a PhD in physiology and developmental biology, and it's pretty time consuming. So, basically, I'm going to buy it, get it running, and go outside and say to myself "ls1 swap, when i graduate!!" and that's it.

good plan so far, I think.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 AM

Hi `John,
I hope your cousin lets you use his garage, and maybe help you.
Sounds like you have a full load, but a project car can be a get a way from everything else. Great that you are giv'in blood 4 $'s
Wish you good luck in school, and on your future auto projects.
Keep us updated `ok

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

That Monte definitely needs some work, thats for sure. But I see your point, for $500, you could definitely EVENTUALLY turn that into one hell of a Monte when you have the time and money to do it.

Good luck with school!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

welcome to the site