New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

NEW from Cali a 78 in need of TLC

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Default NEW from Cali a 78 in need of TLC

new from so. cal... 1978 231 ready for a restoration from the ground up. Need input on motor/trans upgrade options..all feedback is welcome!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Default RE: NEW from Cali a 78 in need of TLC

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 AM

any suggestions?....maybe to buy a car that runs! =/ lol

Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: EJspoon

any suggestions?....maybe to buy a car that runs! =/ lol
First off that was kind of uncalled for , how do you know if it runs or not just becuse he is asking about the motor trans. combo and ideas of. dose not mean that the one in there dont run.

but the car it's self looks real straight and clean. i think ya should just send it to Texas to me so it dont rust up there

Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM

78monte805
hey i have owned a few of this body style and year of car . the best combo i have found for them to be on the street daily and run great and still ahve some tork when wanted etc...

the standard 383 stroker, also use either one of the projection set ups from a after market dealer of your choice or a somethig like a holley or even eddelbrok carb also A VERRY GOOD RAD. And ele fans that push air i actuall had one push and one pull on my last one tha ti had a three way toggel on it to change the polarity in it to push or pull.

for the trans i have found the best for me was the 350 turbo but build it as a heavy duty trans. this adds a coupel extra clutches in to the pack and also makes it shift harder and better.

for the rear end i used to use the ford 9" or the other one that i would find if not it was a good posi trac out of another G.M. cant remeber for sure if i had to shorten them or not but i know i used sevearl Camaro rear ends.

The other option i used a few times on teh track was a spool but i would nto recomend it ont he street all the time.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome 78Monte805!!!

Congrats on your find. Looks like a great candidate for a restoration. So many of that generation Monte have been turned into drag racers, or were stripped clean by chop shops back in the day. What engine is in it now? What were you thinking of in the terms of engine? We'd like to hear more about your ideas/plans.

Oh and hello to you to EJspoon. You're certainly not starting out on a very friendly note. You come on here and your second post is an insult to a new member.And to top it off, your avatar is the Honda logo? I second whatMickey said.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM

also one more thing i forgot to say to ya.
Put a kill switch in to it . migh tnot keep it safe at home but it will deter the idiots that just want the parts and dont know how to get arround one.
mine didnt have one on it i kept sayign i was going to do it and never had the chance before it was stolen. (the last one)

as for a drag car yeah Taz alot of them ended up as the dirt track cars also. they were light,easy to work on, big enough even after you put a good motor in them they had tons of room but were still small. and one of the last "true framed" cars.

also for most fo the intereior parts you might need look at aht ecaminos and the malibus also . they have the same intereior . the dash pod in the 80's was nicer to look at in some cases but is a direct fit for the 78. and some of them have the trip meter in the speedometer

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

thin skin people? It was just a joke...HOnda or not, Ihave anapprietiation for manycars. Besides, that car isn't running!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: EJspoon

thin skin people? It was just a joke...HOnda or not, Ihave anapprietiation for manycars. Besides, that car isn't running!
Thin skin is a non issue on that comment it was not why it was said. weather it is a runnign car or not a comment like that can also be something not taken as a joke.

Chevy,honda i have own both the wife drives a piolit right now but i dont have it as a avitar or a sig. on a Monte carlo borad. this is why it was mentioned.

if you look at the photo album i h ave sevearl photos of my monte. it was the sig till after i sold it for the Harley in the sig now.
I have offerd to take that down due to this being a MONTE CARLO borad not a Harley bord.

but if you would like to continue on this please send me a P.M. and lets not high jack this thread any more then we have already. Thank you