General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My baby got some much deserved TLC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Default My baby got some much deserved TLC

I replaced both her v belts, which got that damn annoying squeal to stop, and replaced windshield whipers YAY! Long story short i had a MUCH to long alternator belt on her and had it gerry rigged... so i got a MUCH shorter belt and completely removed the tenstioner, as it was no longer needed and was both an inconveinence and an eye sore. I had lost the belt on a 100+ mile road trip at the start of the trip (unbeknown to me) and she died just outside of indy...the closest auto store (RIDGE!! I HATE YOU) didn't have the right size belt... so i had to make due... As for the windsheild whipers... OUCH!!! they were bare metal at this point... so i had to replace them... also, with the new belts she sounds better,deeper, and louder...ill be posting a clip of her new sound, ull be able to tell...

Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: My baby got some much deserved TLC

I think that the Tensioner IS Needed. That's the device that guarantees you that your aren't putting to much load on a Shaft Bearing. The Pre-Load of the Tensioner takes in to consideration that the Belt WILL stretch a little bit and the Spring-Load will take-up the slack without having to move the Alternator or one of the Pumps.

I think without the Tensioner on there you are at risk for throwing the belt at sometime in the future. Maybe you should reconsider and replace the Tensioner and put-on the right size Belt. I wouldn't want you to get stranded someplace with your belt becoming a "Road Snake" and you have to go looking for one to get back in action.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:00 PM

i appreciate the concern, but there is no spring to consider, the alter is just held in position by a bolt. And i still have the tension, but all it is is a slider bar, which i don't have the appropriate bolt to connect the dang thing to the alternator anyways... i bought the car with it just not being there...and as i looked at it... it looks like the dumb azz had the bar adjusted to far down at the adjuster point and it was rubbing on top of the back side of the crank pulley... so im not sure that im gonna put it back on... cuz im not sure that it is the right size... but i did keep the part/bolts/nuts just in case... if i throw the belt, i will be finding a way to put the dang thing on there and make it work... again, i appreciate the concern

Old 01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No belt tensioner on my '86 Monte.

You crank down on the bolt for whatever accessory you're driving off the crank and slam the hood. You're done!!!